StanLCFC

Luis Enrique Announces He Won't Be At Barcelona Next Season

24 posts in this topic

Wonder where he'll go next and more to the point, wonder who Barca will employ as his replacement.

Where ever he goes, doubt he'll find any tremendous success.   Personally don't rate him that highly and I'll always see Simeone as the best in Spain. 

Edited by Cicero

Just put it in the Barça thread at the same time as you created this one.

You could see this coming all season to be honest and my guess is he will take time out and do his major love which are triathlons.  He is one of the best in the world at them and he adores the real major ones like through the Himalayas.

10 minutes ago, Leyton Origami said:

Pep back to Barca. 

He said only two weeks ago that he will never go back as head coach.

The most likely candidates are Sevilla's Jorge Sampaoli (the one the fans want if Luis Enrique stepped down), Everton's Ronald Koeman (has almost gone off the list because Everton want money for him to move), Athletic Bilbao's Ernesto Valeverde (looks to be signing an extension at Athletic) and Laurent Blanc (the Barça fans don't want him and don't understand why he's a candidate).

Sampaoli is what they need.

According to MARCA Ernesto Valverde (Athletic Bilbao) is now the favourite to get the job.  He was chased in the past before Tata Martino got the job but he signed a new contract with Athletic Bilbao and they went for the Argentinian.  The rumours last week were that Valverde was about to sign a new contract with Athletic so I don't know what's happened there as there's been nothing more on that one.

There's another thing to take into account and that is that only last week some Barcelona based sports newspapers were saying the favourite was Laurent Blanc and that Barça had already approached him because Luis Enrique had already told the board that he wasn't going to sign a new contract.  The latter is obviously true because I doubt Luis Enrique surprised the board today with that news but the former sounds far fetched and now we have MARCA saying it's Ernest Valverde which is an easy shot in the dark as it's known that Barcelona have wanted him in the past and because he was a player there and knows the house well so to speak.  Still, I wouldn't doubt there could be something in it for obvious reasons.

Other names that have just crept into the scene that haven't been named before are Liverpool's Jürgen Klopp and Massimo Allegri...  Klopp obviously because of the way he gets his teams playing a high press which is a Barça trademark and Allegri because he announced a month ago that he will be stepping down from the Juve job at the end of the season.  I can't see Klopp leaving Liverpool when he's started a project and I can't see Barça going in for him anyway as he has defensive holes in his tactics which with Barça's frailties due to how they play back there isn't the greatest of ideas.  Allegri according to many sources is going to go to Arsenal but again, that's hearsay and rumourology.  He could actually work at Barça but personally I don't rate him as highly as many (my personal opinion) because the hard work at Juve had already been done by the now Chelsea coach Antonio Conte.

Unless a club statement is made before the end of the season, this is going to be the dish of the day every week until the summer.  All sorts will be named and the way journalists work in Spain, they'll be paying off moles from the word go.

Arsene Wenger will take the Barcelona job.  3 year deal in place, Henry as his assistant.  Bellerin will join also.  It will be a good deal for both clubs.    If Arsenal can get 30 million for Bellerin they should drive him to the nou camp, really poor defender only pace gets him out of a trouble.

Edited by VanPanna

49 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Arsene Wenger will take the Barcelona job.  3 year deal in place, Henry as his assistant.  Bellerin will join also.  It will be a good deal for both clubs.    If Arsenal can get 30 million for Bellerin they should drive him to the nou camp, really poor defender only pace gets him out of a trouble.

Where did you read Arsene Wenger will be going to Barça?

Its emerging on quite a few news outlets 

That would be hilarious

2 hours ago, VanPanna said:

Part of me want it to happen just to watch SirBalon's reaction to the fact he's never getting rid of Wenger. 😂 Seriously though, I think Tuchel and Sampaoli are the best fits.

6 hours ago, Le Fou said:

Part of me want it to happen just to watch SirBalon's reaction to the fact he's never getting rid of Wenger. 😂 Seriously though, I think Tuchel and Sampaoli are the best fits.

:lols:

It would be the utter last straw to be honest!!! hahaha

In all honesty there was a time when he would've been a top draw acquisition for any club and that time was maybe about 13 or 14 years ago.  There was a time when Real Madrid were desperate to sign him as head coach and there were also rumours (unfounded) that Barça were once interested in him.  But both clubs have never needed a manager because both would never leave ultimate power to one man as if it goes wrong it would be extremely expensive to undo it all for the next man.  He isn't a viable choice for a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid unless they want to use the fact they have him as a marketing ploy which in that case I wouldn't put it past them especially Florentino Pérez and Real Madrid.

On another note discussing Luis Enrique not wanting to sign his contract extension, Pep Guardiola made a couple of statements on radio yesterday the moment the news was released.

"It's a sad day for the Barcelona family because Luis Enrique is a big part of the history of the club"

"Only us guys that have spent so much of our life there know exactly why this type of decision finally comes up on you sooner or later.  You can't coach for too long at a club like FC Barcelona because it takes over your life and you just don't have a single moment for yourself.  You can't even disconnect when the season is over and you break for the summer.  Every moment in your life is taken over by one aspect or another of the club and it wears you down.  Luis Enrique needs a rest now and I wish him all the best as he is a close friend and a club legend.  The job he has done only us coaches that know about this can appreciate how difficult it's been.  It looks easy but it's far from that."

Guardiola left this on his Instagram...

Edited by SirBalon

Klopp???? haha why?

Where do you rate Luis Enrique as Barcelona coaches go?

10 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Klopp???? haha why?

Where do you rate Luis Enrique as Barcelona coaches go?

The Klopp thing as far as I can make out because I'm not in the mind of the voters will be because of his high pressing game which is one of Barça's trademark ploys in defending which is to steal the ball as far up the pitch and as early as possible so as to not get exposed at the back.  The problem with Klopp's sides especially this Liverpool side is that they concede a lot of goals.  He has the right ideals but Barcelona attacks a lot and concentrates on that which means that if he has tactical defensive issues, it would be like committing suicide if he were Barcelona coach.

It's difficult to balance everything at Barça and one of the hardest jobs in the world mate.  This is why when Mourinho was interviewed for the job back in the day before it was handed to Guardiola who was at the time coaching the Barcelona 'B' team he was turned down.  Yes, Mourinho (especially back then) would almost guarantee you trophies but at the cost of style and football which is something the fans wouldn't expect.  One thing is coaching Real Madrid where only trophies count and another is coaching Barça where you have to combine style with success...  The Barça job is extremely difficult!

I really rate Luis Enrique and I've made this obvious since he was given the job.  I wanted him to renew although I always knew he would resign sooner or later.  That job sucks the life out of you and it's mainly past legends that get to coach there which is their dream to do so and have done it.  Luis Enrique had a tough job fixing what Tata Martino got so wrong and having to combine a major change while somehow managing to stay loyal to the philosophy of football at Barcelona.  As far as I'm concerned he managed that and the trophies he's brought with it  can't be disputed.

Luis Enrique wanted this job...  His reasoning for going into coaching was to one day get this job and amazingly it happened really early on in his coaching career.  I would say he won't coach again and if he does it will probably be where he started it all as a player, Sporting Gijón in a few years time.

Edited by SirBalon

img_rtorello_20170301-232157_imagenes_md

The main candidates for the Barça hot seat

Those four in the picture are the main men in contention to coach FC Barcelona from next season after last night's announcement by Luis Enrique that he won't be renewing the extension the club had offered him.

These are all the names in no particular order that according to Mundo Deportivo will be in the minds of FC Barcelona so as to take over the job from the Asturian Barça legend.

• Jorge Sampaoli (Sevilla FC)
  • Ernesto Valverde (Athletic Club Bilbao)
  • Ronald Koeman (Everton FC)
  • Massimiliano Allegri (Juventus)
  • Juan Carlos Unzué (FC Barcelona assistant to Luis Enrique)
  • Eduardo Berizzo (Celta Vigo)
  • Eusebio Sacristán (Real Sociedad)
  • Laurent Blanc (free agent)
  • Jürgen Klopp (Liverpool FC)
  • Quique Setién (UD Las Palmas)

Don't rule out outsiders like Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham Hotspur) and Unai Emery (Paris Saint-Germain).

Los candidatos al banquillo del Barça

Edited by SirBalon

Barca should go take the current Tottenham manager.

Pochettino is ready to work at a top level club.

1488448704874.jpg

Luis Enrique 1015 days and 8 trophies later

On the left Luis Enrique 3 years after (right) he took over as FC Barcelona coach.

13 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

1488448704874.jpg

Luis Enrique 1015 days and 8 trophies later

On the left Luis Enrique 3 years after (right) he took over as FC Barcelona coach.

Stressful job. Lots of pressure. Look what it did to Pep

pep-guardiola-aging.jpg

Just now, Cicero said:

Stressful job. Lots of pressure. Look what it did to Pep

pep-guardiola-aging.jpg

I was going to post one with Pep included in the Luis Enrique one.  Pep managed to last an extra year making it 4 and he also said yesterday that he totally understsands Luis Enrique as that job grinds you down and even in your sleep you're living the day to day.

I love Luis Enrique. Yeah, sure, a lot of the decisions he has made in his three years here has been controversial to say the least, such as his sometimes mindless and over rotations and, of course, the lineups and tactics. Especially this season. However, he's a Barcelona legend and I'll be sure to never forget his tenure. As bad as this season has been, his tenure will go down as one of the most successful in the history of the club. He won the treble in his first season, he won the domestic double in his second, he stuck it to Real Madrid at the Bernabeu by a 4-0 scoreline, and, as forgettable as this season has been, we saw two very magical nights that will never be forgotten, namely the 6-1 and the 3-2 Clasico. 

It is definitely the right time for him to go, though. This season has been testament to that fact. He's burnt out. Thanks for everything, Lucho!