StanLCFC

Tuesday 14th February - PSG 4-0 Barcelona

71 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because there were some truths in what he was saying and seems to have been following the Barcelona based press recently like the stuff about certain players being uncertain about Luis Enrique's future (the front three mainly who are very attached to the coach).

There may have been some truth in what he was saying but there was no need for 100'000 posts about it that followed :lols:

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I don't disagree. It's the totally overblown meltdown by Cannabis that I was referring to. Nearly all pundits are dicks so why get so upset?

So such bias and nonsense should be simply ignored? The amount of buffoons in the press is quite simply embarrassing. Steve McManaman getting a gig as a pundit on the back of playing for Liverpool without actually having any footballing knowledge means that its truly deflating when they commentate on a match. He was called out on Twitter for the amount of nonsense that he spouted but you can bet any money he will be in the Camp Nou for the next leg along with Steven Gerrard, Phil Thompson, Michael Owen, Danny Murphey, Jamie Carragher and James Milner if he failes a fitness test.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So such bias and nonsense should be simply ignored? The amount of buffoons in the press is quite simply embarrassing. Steve McManaman getting a gig as a pundit on the back of playing for Liverpool without actually having any footballing knowledge means that its truly deflating when they commentate on a match. He was called out on Twitter for the amount of nonsense that he spouted but you can bet any money he will be in the Camp Nou for the next leg along with Steven Gerrard, Phil Thompson, Michael Owen, Danny Murphey, Jamie Carragher and James Milner if he failes a fitness test.

Why would ex-Liverpool players show bias towards Barcelona? I think you are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far mate. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why would ex-Liverpool players show bias towards Barcelona? I think you are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far mate. 

Steve McManaman, the cult hero of Real Madrid you mean? No idea why he would be so deluded in his views toward Barca.

As for taking this too far, this is the highest spike of activity this place has ever had :lols:.

Didnt watch this one but I had a feeling Barcelona were going to have a tough time at Paris. However I didnt expect they would get spanked 4-0. Unai Emery probably has settled down now in Paris after the initial few hiccups. 

Cant write Barcelona out, they can still make a comeback if they fire on all cylinders against this PSG.

21 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Steve McManaman, the cult hero of Real Madrid you mean? No idea why he would be so deluded in his views toward Barca.

As for taking this too far, this is the highest spike of activity this place has ever had :lols:.

That's true :lols:

Well have some of that, no way Barcelona can score 4 goals without PSG at least scoring one in the return.

Normally I would say anything is possible with Barca, but it would take absolute peak Barca from a year or two ago to undo this, and I can't see Enrique suddenly getting his team back into that kind of form so quickly.

Edited by InvertedTrequartista

10 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I cannot stand Andre Gomes and it's for no other reason than the way he plays football, so passive with everything he does, never imposes himself on the game. It's wrong to single him out though as everyone bar Neymar was dreadful.

Barcelona's recruitment in the summer was poor but the biggest problem is Enrique, what was the tactical plan tonight? There's no midfield but the biggest problem tonight for Barcelona was the game plan and the players' execution of that. If you want to see how not to high press see Barca's performance tonight, Busquets was adopting a very offensive position in the press but the team wasn't pressing as a unit nor pressing with enough intensity. PSG play through that press with ease (I personally have never seen pressing performed so badly) which left acres and acres of space in behind the midfield and left the defense isolated. That's the consequences of high pressing when it goes wrong and why it's very important it's executed well. So it looks like there's no midfield. Enrique this season vs  one of the current master tacticians in European football was never going to end well. 

The player who plays on the right of Barca's midfield this season is really the invisible man, whoever it is. One of the strangest roles in football. 

Andre Gomes was everything wrong in Barcelona's midfield tonight, no drive, no vision, no pressing and had Barcelona's best chances in the first half... Enrique got his tactics all wrong not playing Rackitic and bringing on Iniesta second half would have made a whole lot of difference cause he's not as mobile as before and he would have had space to operate, PSG can't keep their pressing for an entire 90 mins, the spaces will eventually open up.

Barcelona have been awful at late apart from their 0-6 win at the weekend,  the defence and midfield is the real problem its just not upto the real Barcelona type of players in that position they have at the moment.  I expect Enrique to be sacked maybe before the season is over,  strong rumours that they are looking for Ronald Koeman to take over. 

Koeman would go with my blessing even though I would be gutted. He's an icon at Barcelona and its his dream move, if he gets the opportunity to take up the reigns he will do so.

That said, given the calamitous European run this season I think they will look to someone with more continental experience, I know that Pep Guardiola was thrown into the mix right off the bat but will Barca want to risk someone at the helm with little background in the Champions League? I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Koeman would go with my blessing even though I would be gutted. He's an icon at Barcelona and its his dream move, if he gets the opportunity to take up the reigns he will do so.

That said, given the calamitous European run this season I think they will look to someone with more continental experience, I know that Pep Guardiola was thrown into the mix right off the bat but will Barca want to risk someone at the helm with little background in the Champions League? I don't know.

Guardiola wouldn't return as Barça coach in my view, ever.  The board is a problem in that too who he doesn't believe in and there's also the factor of too many players he already coached before...  If he were to be sacked by Manchester City (something unless a debacle happens I can't see) then anything is possible although once he's got something into his head he is the type of character not to change his mind.

Was satisfying seeing Barcelona get dicked. They were lucky it was only 4-0, couldn't believe how open they had their whole midfield and defence during the game.

23 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Guardiola wouldn't return as Barça coach in my view, ever.  The board is a problem in that too who he doesn't believe in and there's also the factor of too many players he already coached before...  If he were to be sacked by Manchester City (something unless a debacle happens I can't see) then anything is possible although once he's got something into his head he is the type of character not to change his mind.

I agree. I wouldn't want him to return either and risk ruining the incredible legacy he has built.

Aside how shite Barsa were, PSG were incredible. 

14 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I agree. I wouldn't want him to return either and risk ruining the incredible legacy he has built.

Yeah, second parts are usually crap mate.  Barça have to move on because what's for sure is that they're not only interested in making money and just qualifying for the Champions League so as to participate.  There WILL be moves made to change things and there will be repercussions because it's a club that's only allowed to compete to win.

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Aside how shite Barsa were, PSG were incredible. 

Indeed...  As I said in my summery of the game.  Too much will be made of Barça and how shit they were for obvious reasons but people should be talking about how well PSG played.  They were brilliant and there was a plan.

https://streamable.com/xuyh5

Enjoy this before it gets taken down. It's not just footage showing the excellent Rabiot, but Ter Stegen had some great moments too in that match. 

By the way i think Ter Stegen was better than Trapp. Those football journalists who gave way better ratings to Trapp suffer from resultadista.

Edited by True Bender

Just watched the highlights and not sure why no one is blaming Ter Stegen for that last goal by Cavani, he was clearly beaten at the near post and should have saved that.

Obviously something is going horribly wrong in Spanish football. They need to overhaul everything their under 12's do. The size of the goals are too big for starters and heading the ball is causing a lot of brain damage. They are falling behind because of the dinosaurs that teach the youngsters. Expect a coefficient collapse within 3 years unless they drop paella from school dinners.

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Looks more like Sampoli is going to be taking over... his Sevilla plays more possession based football + he motivates players + Messi and Neymar both tried to convince him to coach their respective countries.

22 minutes ago, robosys said:

Looks more like Sampoli is going to be taking over... his Sevilla plays more possession based football + he motivates players + Messi and Neymar both tried to convince him to coach their respective countries.

That would suit me for both Everton & Barcelona reasons! 

Joking aside it would be a really good appointment if Jorge is who they go for. He's managed in La Liga (and at the moment is doing a really good job of it) and has obvious close ties to the Latin America players such as Messi & Neymar. 

His performance with Chile throughout the Copa America was outstanding too so he's achieved a lot of what Barcelona would be looking for. 

Edited by Cannabis

Should take over Argentina. 

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Should take over Argentina. 

He was already offered the job before he took the Sevilla post and refused so as to coach in La Liga.  I doubt he'd turn down the Barça position...  No Latin American coach would ever.

19 hours ago, Cannabis said:

That would suit me for both Everton & Barcelona reasons! 

Joking aside it would be a really good appointment if Jorge is who they go for. He's managed in La Liga (and at the moment is doing a really good job of it) and has obvious close ties to the Latin America players such as Messi & Neymar. 

His performance with Chile throughout the Copa America was outstanding too so he's achieved a lot of what Barcelona would be looking for. 

Yeah, he'll be perfect

PSG were the far better team and you can't do anything but credit them and hold your hands up. Out of all the sugar daddy clubs, they are the one who are getting everything right and this has been slowly growing for a few years now. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to win it at some stage(maybe even this year year), although it wasn't just about them being great but how utterly shite the away side were. There are definitely some changes that need to be made, although at the same time I would say that there is still a strong backbone to build around there and it's more the case of adding a few players in the right areas(and finding the right manager since Enrique will be off in the summer, which is probably for the best) as opposed to needing to bring in a full team of players or go into panic mode and start buying everyone that breaths.

As for this PSG side. Di Maria was always the biggest threat for Real Madrid in the Clasicos and while he's the most frustrating player you'll ever see for Argentina and didn't fit in at United, he's brilliant when in the right side and playing with confidence. Draxler also seems to have fit in well there and Verratti is class

Edited by The Rebel CRS

Who would have thought Barcelona will be able to turn in around. Amazing 2nd leg. Barcelona into quarter finals.

I don't think the Suarez penalty in the 90th plus minute was deserved. Was hardly any contact and was a dive all the way .

was 5 minutes added the right amount?  Was there that many injury?  I think the fix was in. 

Excuses excuses. Unai Emery got the tactics all wrong. He should have told the players to score right from the get. Making it that much harder for Barca to comeback.

This is dead as dark hell now. No new threads. This match 6-1 deserves a separate forum haha.