StanLCFC

Tuesday 14th February - PSG 4-0 Barcelona

71 posts in this topic

Kick-off 19.45

When the draw was made for this one it looked like doom and gloom for PSG considering their form at the time.  Right now things have changed dramatically and even though on paper Barça are obviously favourites especially considering the second leg is at the Camp Nou, Paris Saint-Germain have turned their form totally around with Cavani even leading the European Golden Boot table and the signing of Draxler who is playing some incredible football for them.  Barça also have various players injured with others that have only just come back...

It all depends on how that front three function and if Iniesta has had enough time to get back into the rhythm of things only having played barely 30 minutes of football in one month.

Anything can happen in this one.

Silva out. 

Kinell. Is it just me or does he always seem to be absent when PSG faces Barsa?

Thiago Motta also out. Both are very important to PSG but they will be very organised with Unai Emery who knows Barça inside out after playing them so many times. 

What a shame! In previous seasons PSG never really had a chance against Barca. I was hoping for a tight, ineteresting match this time, because of the new players and Emery.

Di Maria opens the scoring from a free kick

Jesus, Draxler scores for 2-0. Barca looking absolutely lost here and PSG unlucky to not have 1 or 2 more, as well.

As if Steve McManaman has the right to call Messi the absolute fucking nob-sack. 

In other news, this has been awful. Ter Stegen's actually playing well but the defence is shambolic when Paris counter, a goal here would change everything given that away goals count but if it gets to 3-0 then tie really could be done and dusted.

PSG outclassing Barca in every possible way. 

Messi has been a total mess so far. Sue me!

Messi is isolated because the midfield isn't functioning at all. If Barça's midfield doesn't work then anything can happen. Thoroughly deserved 2-0 half time score for PSG. 

17 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

As if Steve McManaman has the right to call Messi the absolute fucking nob-sack. 

In other news, this has been awful. Ter Stegen's actually playing well but the defence is shambolic when Paris counter, a goal here would change everything given that away goals count but if it gets to 3-0 then tie really could be done and dusted.

Who called Messi that? Who's that?

Shades of Bayern here, 3-0 to PSG. 

It's going to take something massive to come back from this.

Edit: According to Steve McManaman Umtiti has ''flattered to deceive'' despite Barcelona winning all 11 games that he's played in.

Hope the cunt gets bottled.

Edit: The refereeing here is also shambolic, pro-UEFA PSG shite.

Edited by Cannabis

4-0

PSG have played THE perfect game. 

Everything lies on La Liga now. Fucking bollocks. 

The whole side look deflated, possibly stemming from the future of Luis Enrique being un-certain. In the middle of the park Barcelona have been non-existent and it's little surprise that their attack has been anonymous whilst Paris seem to be able to score at will, at 2-0 the tie was still in the balance but at 4-0 it's totally over.

Sorry to repeat myself too but Steve McManaman's getting right on my tits ''Umtiti flatters to deceive'' ''Is this the beginning of the end for Barcelona?'' What a fucking spacker of the highest order. Deluded redshite nobhead.

Yup PSG played to perfection. Not over yet but even one Barca goal could be huge for them for the 2nd leg. 

Credit to Emery. Really knows European Football. 

Without at least one away goal this is over. Totally deserved by PSG and it should've been more. That midfield was terrible with Iniesta not ready since his injury and Bisquets rushed back too. But the worst player by a long margin (and I've refrained from criticising him this season) was André Gomes. Obviously it wasn't his fault but it was like playing with a player down and actually hindering the team. The worst part of his play was the fact he runs at 1mph when on full gallop. 

Still... This is PSG's night and they deserve everything from a performance like that and should now finally feel confident enough of believing they can actually win it. 

If they keep their players fit that is. They were very impressive tonight. 

Can't see Enrique lasting too long. 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Thiago Motta also out. Both are very important to PSG but they will be very organised with Unai Emery who knows Barça inside out after playing them so many times. 

Seems like they are not that important afte all. :P

;)

Thats the best game ive seen Rabiot play. well deserved win for PSG that was quite the showing.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Can't see Enrique lasting too long.

The probabilities are that Luis Enrique will be blamed for this because the Spanish football press are very clinical on their campaigns when they want something (put it this way, Wenger would've been out of the job 8 or 9 years ago with a thank you note and a gold watch for services rendered).  He isn't to blame bar one thing which is his determination on getting André Gomes to fit into the team ethics...  I supported him in this to be honest because if you've signed a player for that much money then you have to give it a chance.

There are other issues there and they are in the midfield and nowhere else!  Many will point at the back line but when there are major holes in a midfield with talented players running at the back four, then what you're gonna get is conceding a multitude of chances.  Cavani's goal is the greatest example you'll ever have of what a bad performance by a midfield can inflict upon you.  In today's football it's the midfield that rules the world and everything else are pluses.  That PSG right-back once past Neymar went on a trot toward the 18 yard line where the defence were stretched trying to cover second runners.

4 minutes ago, True Bender said:

Seems like they are not that important afte all. :P

;)

That's called hindsight mate. :wink:

Gary Neville got a managerial job at a big club off of that.

9 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Thats the best game ive seen Rabiot play. well deserved win for PSG that was quite the showing.

What about his performance against Chelsea, when PSG where 1 man down and scored two goals to advance.

We were parking the bus at home against 10 men. We deserved to go out. 

Edited by Cicero

SirBalon, during the last summer I thought Barcelona had done a good job on the transfer market. I really liked the signings they made to give more depth to the squad. Yet, despite all the money spent Barcelona hasn't played well for 1 year now. Last season they almost lost a big lead in La Liga and not much has changed. Messi individual talent helped to cover up for many of those mistakes, but the time's finally come.

With Luke. Quite literally nothing about Gomes that impresses me. 

I cannot stand Andre Gomes and it's for no other reason than the way he plays football, so passive with everything he does, never imposes himself on the game. It's wrong to single him out though as everyone bar Neymar was dreadful.

Barcelona's recruitment in the summer was poor but the biggest problem is Enrique, what was the tactical plan tonight? There's no midfield but the biggest problem tonight for Barcelona was the game plan and the players' execution of that. If you want to see how not to high press see Barca's performance tonight, Busquets was adopting a very offensive position in the press but the team wasn't pressing as a unit nor pressing with enough intensity. PSG play through that press with ease (I personally have never seen pressing performed so badly) which left acres and acres of space in behind the midfield and left the defense isolated. That's the consequences of high pressing when it goes wrong and why it's very important it's executed well. So it looks like there's no midfield. Enrique this season vs  one of the current master tacticians in European football was never going to end well. 

The player who plays on the right of Barca's midfield this season is really the invisible man, whoever it is. One of the strangest roles in football. 

11 minutes ago, Le Fou said:

SirBalon, during the last summer I thought Barcelona had done a good job on the transfer market. I really liked the signings they made to give more depth to the squad. Yet, despite all the money spent Barcelona hasn't played well for 1 year now. Last season they almost lost a big lead in La Liga and not much has changed. Messi individual talent helped to cover up for many of those mistakes, but the time's finally come.

I agree with everything you said 100% mate!

I thought all of that...  The signings seemed to add even more depth to the midfield which is the most important thing for Barcelona and puts to a second line all those fanboys out there about the "MSN" and all that.  Football is more than just about goal scorers!  You need equilibrium, balance...  cohesion!  That isn't there this season and it isn't Luis Enrique's fault ultimately (although he's not excluded from culpability).  Nobody knows how these things turn out and when a homegrown golden generation is coming to its end then it hurts the team if the signings aren't made properly, hence why Barça have been trying so hard for three years to get Sevilla's Monchi on board.

Messi has become much more than just a goal scorer for Barça these days...  He's that and much much more and why he is by far in another galaxy compared to anything else that plays this sport right now.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Everything lies on La Liga now. Fucking bollocks. 

The whole side look deflated, possibly stemming from the future of Luis Enrique being un-certain. In the middle of the park Barcelona have been non-existent and it's little surprise that their attack has been anonymous whilst Paris seem to be able to score at will, at 2-0 the tie was still in the balance but at 4-0 it's totally over.

Sorry to repeat myself too but Steve McManaman's getting right on my tits ''Umtiti flatters to deceive'' ''Is this the beginning of the end for Barcelona?'' What a fucking spacker of the highest order. Deluded redshite nobhead.

Oh calm down you twat. 

Anyway, to think we pulled out of negotiations for Draxler at the last minute because he wanted £90k a week :dam:

Edited by LFCMadLad

22 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He's that and much much more and why he is by far in another galaxy compared to anything else that plays this sport right now.

That didn't helped him when he started dribbling in defense, lost the ball, didn't try to win it back and was just walking when he lost it, and the real world's best player, Draxler, scored.:ninja:

Edited by Fusion

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Oh calm down you twat

Sorry mate... Steve McManaman is a total plonker and even looks like Rodney which excuses him somewhat.  He talks so much crap and quite biassed too.  The squealing voice get on my tits too.

Can't see how Barcelona come back from this deficit even if they are playing at home with the way PSG played tonite. If they do its going to be one hell of a thrilling game.

8 minutes ago, Fusion said:

That didn't helped him when he started dribbling in defense, lost the ball, didn't try to win it back and was just walking when he lost it, and the real world's best player, Draxler, scored.:ninja:

That's it mate...  Draxler scored and now he's the best player in the world.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Can't see how Barcelona come back from this deficit even if they are playing at home with the way PSG played tonite. If they do its going to be one hell of a thrilling game.

They're not coming back from that and they haven't got it in them this season to do it mate. PSG are actually a very good side and nothing to do with the side earlier on in the season where Unai Emery was trying to get what he wanted through to the team.  The work ethic he wants from his players is something in France they're not used to and because the French league is so poor (this season it's slightly better though but still crap) they have been trying to switch off and on depending what tournament they're playing in which is impossible.

Right now they're on form and where they were failing earlier on in the season is where they're excelling right now which is effectivity in front of goal and failed them against Arsenal.  They played us off the park in Paris and they couldn't beat us...  Right now they'd have spanked us.

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

They're not coming back from that and they haven't got it in them this season to do it mate. PSG are actually a very good side and nothing to do with the side earlier on in the season where Unai Emery was trying to get what he wanted through to the team.  The work ethic he wants from his players is something in France they're not used to and because the French league is so poor (this season it's slightly better though but still crap) they have been trying to switch off and on depending what tournament they're playing in which is impossible.

Right now they're on form and where they were failing earlier on in the season is where they're excelling right now which is effectivity in front of goal and failed them against Arsenal.  They played us off the park in Paris and they couldn't beat us...  Right now they'd have spanked us.

They did the right thing by signing Unai Emery. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach and he sets his teams up to be super competitive and grind out results when necessary and in some cases (as we saw tonight) run teams off the park as well. I can see them going quite far in the competition if he has them playing this way for longer. With the way the French league is you can be sure hes not going to have to run players ragged to keep them fresh for return legs or when the later stages start getting harder as well.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sorry mate... Steve McManaman is a total plonker and even looks like Rodney which excuses him somewhat.  He talks so much crap and quite biassed too.  The squealing voice get on my tits too.

I don't disagree. It's the totally overblown meltdown by Cannabis that I was referring to. Nearly all pundits are dicks so why get so upset?

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

I don't disagree. It's the totally overblown meltdown by Cannabis that I was referring to. Nearly all pundits are dicks so why get so upset?

Because there were some truths in what he was saying and seems to have been following the Barcelona based press recently like the stuff about certain players being uncertain about Luis Enrique's future (the front three mainly who are very attached to the coach).