Bic44

New-ish to the game

8 posts in this topic

Hello all!  Well, my name is Ben, I'm a 39yr old sports fan living in Cape Breton, Canada.  I know the rules of football(forgive me if I slip up and call it soccer), I have a basic idea of how the leagues, transactions, etc work.  I've tried a few different times to get into the sport, but it's not exactly popular here, especially in rural Canada.  But it has always fascinated me how different things are to our North American sports.  So, without really knowing where to start I'm going to try and learn a bit this time and maybe find a league to follow.  I'm about to hit a dry spell after the Superbowl...it's the end of April before baseball starts, so what better time than now to learn a bit more about the game?  Looking to chat with a few a you and maybe someone can steer me in the right direction as to who to cheer for/what league to watch.  I'm not big into MLS, I'd prefer an overseas league.  I'm kinda sorta a Manchester United fan, but mainly because they are about the only team I hear much about.  But since I generally like watching the underdog, they're probably not the team I'd choose if I knew anything:blink:.  I also know about Perth Glory from my 4 seasons spent there on PES 15:biggrin:.  Anyway, looking for a fun, competitive league to watch (I'm not going to try and learn about all the leagues at once).  I look forward to meeting you and being taught a few things!

Edited by Bic44

You don't need to necessarily support a team. You can just watch whatever matches are broadcasted. The English League is probably the most accessible to you, or even Ligue 1 if you speak French; though the latter is rubbish. It's different to the NHL or NFL, it's usually the same few teams dominating the sport throughout the years. Aside from very few out of the blue upsets, like Leicester. 

Though at the end of the day, the MLS will always be shit unless people support it.

I hope you stick around Bic, just watch as many games as you can and one will fall into place for you. Manchester United aren't exactly the best team in the country at the moment so picking them could be interesting.

Stick around mate - just watch what you can and see who jumps out at you, think you'll be surprised 

Perth Glory. Definitely not the starting point I'd  recommend. The Australian a-league is one of the most even competitions you'll find but is a lower standard than the MLS and probably not that accessible in Canada. 

The Champions League would be a good place to start watching a few clubs. That's the europe wide league that runs parallel to most others and consists of all the winners and runners up of the domestic leagues from the previous year. The best of the best essentially. You'll get a bit of exposure to different styles of play and can see which one grabs you, and follow that back to a domestic league. 

Thanks guys - I probably will just naturally pick a team. I mean, my current teams for other sports are the Boston , Toronto, and Miami - so I don't really pick my teams based on location anyway. Plus, I'm used to not seeing my teams live. The closest legitimate pro team is about a 14 hour drive away. I'll have to look at schedules to see what games I'll be able to watch, as that is always a factor when you cross the Atlantic. I WILL pick a team though. I always find a side to cheer for, even if it was something I wasn't particularly interested in.

And no, don't speak a word of French. It's funny, I get asked that a lot when I game online. But it's basically just Quebec that speaks French. Anyway, I'll start into this in earnest this week. Any good beginner podcasts you recommend? I work alone, so a good pod is gold to me:biggrin:

Watch our league if you want a competitive league, almost every year there's a different winner.