True Bender

Gianni Infantino Backs Expanded 48-team World Cup

58 posts in this topic

The TV companies can't be that happy about this surely. There's no way BBC and ITV are going to be able to share about 80 games between them. That's going to add another company hosting some games into the equation which isn't going to go down well.

Then there's the obvious thing that we saw in the Euros about the lower quality of game in general.

Three team groups. Just :lols: at the fact they've actually given that the go-ahead. What on earth are they thinking? The potential for having to draw lots is very high. In-fact with 16 groups of 3 I'd say it's more likely to happen than not, which is a farce.

Then you've got the nonsense concept of penalty shootouts to decide group stage results. Another shite, entertainment manufacturer that should be left to silly pre-season tournaments.

Infantino has sold the World Cup to try and get himself more votes. Blatter already had the Africans and Asians on side. It may hurry up the process of the sport going bang, but at least he benefits from it eh?

I don't trust our FA to do the right thing either. They'll make some noises to appease the fans and then it'll die down and all will go ahead.

Horrendous. I can't muster up a single bit of enthusiasm for international football anymore.

48 team confirmed.

Fuck Infantino.

Fuck Ceferin.

Kill yourselves.

1 hour ago, The Foxes said:

The TV companies can't be that happy about this surely. There's no way BBC and ITV are going to be able to share about 80 games between them. That's going to add another company hosting some games into the equation which isn't going to go down well.

Then there's the obvious thing that we saw in the Euros about the lower quality of game in general.

Three team groups. Just :lols: at the fact they've actually given that the go-ahead. What on earth are they thinking? The potential for having to draw lots is very high. In-fact with 16 groups of 3 I'd say it's more likely to happen than not, which is a farce.

Then you've got the nonsense concept of penalty shootouts to decide group stage results. Another shite, entertainment manufacturer that should be left to silly pre-season tournaments.

Infantino has sold the World Cup to try and get himself more votes. Blatter already had the Africans and Asians on side. It may hurry up the process of the sport going bang, but at least he benefits from it eh?

I don't trust our FA to do the right thing either. They'll make some noises to appease the fans and then it'll die down and all will go ahead.

Horrendous. I can't muster up a single bit of enthusiasm for international football anymore.

That's the reason tv companies are so important...  Because they're not happy about it.  When is someone in the establishment not happy about a situation?  When there's competition for what it wants to accomplish.  Rights go up for sale and they're auctioned which means more product status and more money for those involved as the price spirals out of all proportions mate.

Edited by SirBalon

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That's the reason tv companies are so important...  Because they're not happy about it.  When is someone in the establishment not happy about a situation?  When there's competition for what it wants to accomplish.  Rights go up for sale and they're auctioned which means more product status and more money for those involved as the price spirals out of all proportions mate.

I think if there was ever such a thing as too much football, this would definitely be it.

I honestly think the World Cup is going to become a bit like the Europa League for me. I follow what happens in the Europa League but I don't watch that many games in it (although I probably should), the World Cup shouldn't be like that, for me the World Cup should be the peak of the sport, and they're 100% categorically ruining it. It's a disgrace.

5 minutes ago, The Foxes said:

I think if there was ever such a thing as too much football, this would definitely be it.

I honestly think the World Cup is going to become a bit like the Europa League for me. I follow what happens in the Europa League but I don't watch that many games in it (although I probably should), the World Cup shouldn't be like that, for me the World Cup should be the peak of the sport, and they're 100% categorically ruining it. It's a disgrace.

I agree mate!  It's ruined but it will get viewers in all the factors involved in this and that's what's important these days.  In years gone by it was all about the football...  About excelling and finding the elite moment.  It was about grabbing the time and space in football with the supposed best footballers on the planet all bunched together with the odd surprise like for example Cameroon and Roger Milla in more recent World Cups.  Who remembers the World Champions Argentina getting done on the first day of the World Cup by Cameroon?  That is stuff made of legendary football stories and not any team making it to the championship where what you get is the top sides being conservative like in the last most recent European Championships.

They don't care about football anymore because they don't think they're hurting it in the slightest and are just capitalising on what European clubs are for example. They would if they were honest tell you that why should they play the media game differently!

13 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It won't keep going up forever mate.

I feel pretty confident in saying the EPL was more popular in Australia 5 years ago than it is now. It's just that none of the marketing companies have realised yet. 

Also pretty sure we'll find we all give less of a shit to play in a world Cup when it's no longer a special tournament that's incredibly tough to get into. 

Fuckin pig shit move by FIFA this. They are flat out deaf to the ears of people the world over. 

It's not just political parties that we're all feeling anti establishment about.

Edited by Mr Red

1 hour ago, Mr Red said:

It won't keep going up forever mate.

I feel pretty confident in saying the EPL was more popular in Australia 5 years ago than it is now. It's just that none of the marketing companies have realised yet. 

Also pretty sure we'll find we all give less of a shit to play in a world Cup when it's no longer a special tournament that's incredibly tough to get into. 

Fuckin pig shit move by FIFA this. They are flat out deaf to the ears of people the world over. 

It's not just political parties that we're all feeling anti establishment about.

It won't go on forever but there is an important factor in this and they haven't been stupid (all the football authotirties from national federarions/FAs and continental federations)...

Why was Blatter always going on about taking football into the "new world" (The Korea scandal when they were taken to the semis by FIFA)?  He was MASSIVE on that and the reason is that they saw the capabilities of making money and enlarging appeal which protects interests for all.  They don't care if the "established old football world" gets rather bored with it all because they will have grabbed everyone else and taken them on the ride.

Example: India is yet to be cracked and that's a massive market like China...  There's work being done there for a while and more is to come.

Edited by SirBalon

image-1093335-860_galleryfree-toev-10933

This is how it could look like. 

Which means we will have 20 match days of boring matches, before the first possible cracker.

Much the same as the Euro but only a bigger version.

The marketability possibilities are absolutely MASSIVE like never before.  Globalisation even in football.

So this means Copa America is the only decent international tournament left  

Not really keen on Infantino's excuse that he wants the World Cup to be more "inclusive". That's the point though, the World Cup should be exclusive, it's the pinnacle of the game but now it's a watered down, everyone's welcome, free-for-all, which will see the standard plummet through the floor, similar to last year's European Championship. But FIFA won't care, their pockets will be lined with more money, so everyone's happy.

16 more games in the same amount of days. The amount of countries able to host a World Cup is going to shrink considerably.

15 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

16 more games in the same amount of days. The amount of countries able to host a World Cup is going to shrink considerably.

I don't think being able to host one really matters to FIFA.

Although they'll just embrace this awful Euro 2020 concept I've no doubt.

International football's hard enough to be that bothered about anyway. It's going to be even worse now.

The worst part I think is that you might have played your 2 group games and you will have to watch the other 2 teams play each other to see if you go through or not. 

The problem with the Euro's though was teams defending.  Witj 3 team groups they will have to attack. 

On 15/01/2017 at 9:36 AM, JesusIsAGeordie said:

The worst part I think is that you might have played your 2 group games and you will have to watch the other 2 teams play each other to see if you go through or not. 

Yeah I don't like that part. That was how Austria and Germany screwed Algeria