True Bender

Gianni Infantino Backs Expanded 48-team World Cup

58 posts in this topic

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/world-cup-expansion-48-teams-fifa-president-gianni-infantino-120716

Quote

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has long spoken of his desire to expand the World Cup beyond its current 32 teams. Now he has officially thrown his support by a new size and format: 48 teams in 16 groups of three.

......

gettyimages-625866200.vadapt.664.high.69

Can we have Blatter back please?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 groups... Fucking hell. Can't imagine a "Group P" at the World Cup.

Edited by 6666
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tough tight tournament that's very difficult to qualify for is what makes the world Cup great.

The shine has come off it a bit for me as this mediocre australian team qualify year after year through Asia where previously we had to beat the 5th placed south american team (usually Uruguay) to qualify. 

On quality there should be no more than 2 asian teams automatically qualify for the WC and arguably less until others (china) develop more and prove themselves worthwhile. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If pushed through, this can be interesting. Although more upsets can really be expected.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The European Championships were much better before expansion, this is basically going to do the same to the World Cup. As if qualification stages weren't boring enough for people, this will just lessen any competition for spaces and will end up with even more pointless games between teams that already know they will easily qualify.

All of this and nevermind the unevenness of the competition and ruling out more nations to even think about hosting such a competition. How long will this tournament go on for? How many stadiums are going to be needed? And over how big an area are these stadiums going to be?

The World Cup has a perfect format as it is. It's the qualification rounds that need to be changed. That and the whole international calendar. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sporting aspects aside, this is goodbye to the chances of a relatively small country holding the WC too. Even more infrastructure will be needed for a 48 team competition. Nowadays, I doubt those who don't have it, will be willing to invest.

Edited by Machado
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"48 teams in 16 groups of three"

So two progress then you end up with a set of 32 teams again? Why even bother with this to begin with? Boggles the mind when people who are supposed to be governing the sport can't see the mathematical blunder of having money as blinders.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Machado said:

Sporting aspects aside, this is goodbye to the chances of a relatively small country holding the WC too. Even more infrastructure will be needed for a 48 team competition. Nowadays, I doubt those who don't have it, will be willing to invest.

 

We've probably already surpassed the notion of a single country (outside of Western Europe and America) being able to actually host a World Cup and justify it. Even a large country like Brasil had trouble with hosting a World Cup. Which just leaves either just the same countries hosting again and again, oil-rich countries putting up artificially large grounds or co-hosting. 

And in all of those options, co-hosting seems not the worst of the bad options.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

We've probably already surpassed the notion of a single country (outside of Western Europe and America) being able to actually host a World Cup and justify it. Even a large country like Brasil had trouble with hosting a World Cup. Which just leaves either just the same countries hosting again and again, oil-rich countries putting up artificially large grounds or co-hosting. 

And in all of those options, co-hosting seems not the worst of the bad options.

Exactly. Spain couldn't even bid by themselves for 2018 and it's still a 32 team competition.

China can't host after Qatar, otherwise I think they would try a 2026 bid. And neither can UEFA.

"The FIFA Executive Committee (now the FIFA Council) decided on 30 May 2015 that any country could bid for a World Cup provided that their continental confederation had not hosted the preceding World Cup.[13] For the 2026 World Cup, this meant that bids from the Asian Football Confederation (which is to host the 2022 World Cup in Qatar) would not be allowed. Later, in October 2016, the FIFA Council approved the general principle that member associations from continental confederations of the last two hosts of the FIFA World Cup (i.e. the AFC and UEFA, the latter being due to host the 2018 World Cup in Russia) will be ineligible to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup."

 

We'll probably have an USA bid, and if I had to guess, some South American countries in a joint bid. Personally I would like to see a North African bid. Lybia tried in 2010. Maybe they could join Algeria, who have become somewhat relevant recently.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see an Argentina-Uruguay joint bid if possible.  What a World Cup that would be!  TOTAL PASSION!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we've grown a pair and pulled out of it all by the time this financial-driven nonsense kicks off.

They are absolutely killing this sport and you are without a doubt wrong if you say otherwise.

15 hours ago, Mel81x said:

"48 teams in 16 groups of three"

So two progress then you end up with a set of 32 teams again? Why even bother with this to begin with? Boggles the mind when people who are supposed to be governing the sport can't see the mathematical blunder of having money as blinders.

The same reason any "progress" in this "sport" is made these days. They throw every buzz word going at you to try and deflect the reality of the situation - when that reality is that it is purely money motivated. They are quite literally selling the sport.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't really see the point in this expansion, then just quit the qualifiers let the entire World play. 

Edited by True Blue
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to leave this here

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I'm just going to leave this here

 

Yeah... Just in case the minnow has managed to hold out for a draw. Ooooh I'm really feeling conspiratorial today. :lols:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly, nothing needs to be changed, but they gotta justify their meetings and wages somehow.

Good to know they've obviously been watching the Betfred Cup though. Scottish football is clearly what the world is watching.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost as if they actually want the sport to fail.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not often that I hope the 'big clubs' get their way, but I hope they stop this from happening.

It's understandable that the national federations, at least of the 'smaller' countries would back this as it's increasing their odds of making it to the World Cup. But it would be taking away from the competition's quality.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there even 48 countries in the world :ninja:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JesusIsAGeordie said:

Are there even 48 countries in the world :ninja:

There's only one relevant country in the world. Surrounded by wanna-bes and non-countries.

Low energy losers!

Edited by True Bender
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The world cup is already wank as it is and the last 3(especially 2006 and 2010) have been utterly poor for footballing quality. It's just become a contest in who can park the biggest bus. Very dull tournament.

 

All expanding it will do is make it twice as terrible. Just look at the Euros, that was always a great tournament but the last one was hideously poor and lacked any form of quality due to the crappy expansion.

 

 

 

 

Edited by The Rebel CRS
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JesusIsAGeordie said:

Are there even 48 countries in the world :ninja:

 

There we be some great groups to look forward to though:-

 

Group A: Spain, Yemen, Honduras, Andorra

Group B: Germany, Cuba, Ethiopia, Faroe Islands

Group C: Brazil, Haiti, New Zealand, Niger

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Islamic State could make the knockout rounds. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2016 at 4:21 AM, Machado said:

. Later, in October 2016, the FIFA Council approved the general principle that member associations from continental confederations of the last two hosts of the FIFA World Cup (i.e. the AFC and UEFA, the latter being due to host the 2018 World Cup in Russia) will be ineligible to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup."

Wow i'm shocked by this. So no more every second world Cup being in Europe?

That's just shit really. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything the World Cup should be down-sized, there hasn't been a good one since 2002 as far as I'm concerned. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be alone in thinking that the 2006 World Cup was probably the best one I can remember. It was well organised and was played in great stadiums and had some great matches:

Spain demolishing Ukraine

Argentina getting taken to extra time by Mexico before Maxi Rodriguez scored a sensational winner

Zidane turning back the clock against Brazil

Italy and Germany in an epic Semi-Final

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked 2006.

For me it goes 1998, 1986, 1994, 2006, 2002, 2014, 1990, 2010.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

I must be alone in thinking that the 2006 World Cup was probably the best one I can remember. It was well organised and was played in great stadiums and had some great matches:

Spain demolishing Ukraine

Argentina getting taken to extra time by Mexico before Maxi Rodriguez scored a sensational winner

Zidane turning back the clock against Brazil

Italy and Germany in an epic Semi-Final

For me the last great great World Cup, like World Cups used to be and the stuff I was brought up on was 1986 in Mexico.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

If anything the World Cup should be down-sized, there hasn't been a good one since 2002 as far as I'm concerned. 

The best thing about 2006 was the Zidane headbutt, 2010 only had one good side in it in Spain(which were excellent to be honest, despite not scoring as many as they could) and the only other thing I can remember other than that are vuvuzelas. As for 2014, that was an improvement and not outright poor but could have been better. That was the best of the 3 though definitely.

 

Personally I think some of it may be to do with the length of club seasons, as they seem longer than the past, I could be wrong, but it seems that way. All the "big players" play about 60 games a season nowadays before entering the tournament so this may explain why the top players barely play as well as they normally do.

 

Let's look at 86(since Balon mentioned it up there as the last great one), Maradona, who was the man of the tournament, only played 30 games building up to that. Had he played 65, it may have made it a lot more difficult for him.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

For me the last great great World Cup, like World Cups used to be and the stuff I was brought up on was 1986 in Mexico.

Whenever I watch old DVDs of world cups, they seemed much better back then.


But this is why I always claim the Champions League is now atleast as big of a level as the world cup. Due to money, everyone plays in Europe now which means all the world's best generally play in the Champs league and club sides are often better than national teams these days. It's as if there has been some form of "shift" in this sense. Winning the world cup is still the biggest thing you can achieve in the sport, although at the same time t's not where you get to see the best football. Apart from last summer, I was always more fond of the Euros myself. 2008 was an absolutely brilliant tournament if speaking recent editions.

I can't remember 1986 as I was only born in March the same year(so I will have been about 4 month old) but I have seen all of Argentina's matches from that tournament and the passion was incredible.

Edited by The Rebel CRS
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The best thing about 2006 was the Zidane headbutt, 2010 only had one good side in it in Spain(which were excellent to be honest, despite not scoring as many as they could) and the only other thing I can remember other than that are vuvuzelas. As for 2014, that was an improvement and not outright poor but could have been better. That was the best of the 3 though definitely.

 

Personally I think some of it may be to do with the length of club seasons, as they seem longer than the past, I could be wrong, but it seems that way. All the "big players" play about 60 games a season nowadays before entering the tournament so this may explain why the top players barely play as well as they normally do.

 

Let's look at 86(since Balon mentioned it up there as the last great one), Maradona, who was the man of the tournament, only played 30 games building up to that. Had he played 65, it may have made it a lot more difficult for him.

I agree...  The way European club football has gone has affected all International tournaments.  Look at the African Cup Of Nations for example...  There are times (there have been) where some big African names playing in big European clubs have failed to go because their club forced their hand.

Aside from that it's a saturation of club football which isn't and has never been as big as winning something for your country that's to blame for the downfall (if you can call it that) of international tournaments.  Add to that the tinkering with the tournaments themselves by both UEFA and FIFA which has given a helping hand to ruining everything.

53 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Whenever I watch old DVDs of world cups, they seemed much better back then.


But this is why I always claim the Champions League is now atleast as big of a level as the world cup. Due to money, everyone plays in Europe now which means all the world's best generally play in the Champs league and club sides are often better than national teams these days. It's as if there has been some form of "shift" in this sense. Winning the world cup is still the biggest thing you can achieve in the sport, although at the same time t's not where you get to see the best football. Apart from last summer, I was always more fond of the Euros myself. 2008 was an absolutely brilliant tournament if speaking recent editions.

I can't remember 1986 as I was only born in March the same year(so I will have been about 4 month old) but I have seen all of Argentina's matches from that tournament and the passion was incredible.

The European Championships used to be the proper elite of football anywhere!  Of course winning the World Cup itself has always been the maximum any player/team can achieve, but if you wanted to see elite sides battling it out then the Euros was what you wanted to sit down and bite your nails at.

With all due respects to Portugal who won this last edition, this last one has been bastardised.  It is the most meaningless football tournament I have ever witnessed and I couple it with the English League Cup for which I have a very low respect for.  The tournament (European Championships) has been ruined forever if it continues in the same vein.

The World Cup will be going in the same direction with its expansion and this will be the death of international football and the consecrated affirmation that only club football matters now.  Clubs (the elite clubs) will love this and celebrate what both dominating football authorities (UEFA and FIFA) are doing...  They won't say a word because it means less important games in the qualification stakes for the tournament itself and a lesser intensity required for the competition during a whole month.

The last great international event where football is concerned was by far World Cup Mexico '86 and that is where football changed very soon after forever.

Edited by SirBalon
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll never find any australian that would agree 2006 wasn't a special world Cup. 

But putting aside what Guus Hiddink and the socceroos got up to there were also some great games involving a high quality German side, a defensive masterclass from Cannovara and Italy, a great final, a fiery game between Portugal and the Netherlands, a brilliant group run by a Riquelme led Argentina, even England were slightly interesting in that tournament as i recall. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

The World Cup will be expanded to host 48 teams, up from 32, Fifa has decided.

An initial stage of 16 groups of three teams will precede a knockout stage for the remaining 32 when the change is made for the 2026 tournament.

 

The sport's world governing body voted unanimously in favour of the change at a meeting in Zurich on Tuesday.

 

The number of tournament matches will rise to 80, from 64, but the eventual winners will still play only seven games.

 

The tournament will be completed within 32 days - a measure to appease powerful European clubs, who objected to reform because of a crowded international schedule.

 

The changes mark the first World Cup expansion since 1998.

 

New Fifa Now, a campaign group that says the governing body needs to reform, labelled the expansion "a money grab and power grab".

"It will dilute the competitiveness of the tournament and, therefore, the enjoyment of fans," it said in a statement.

 

"It will not help development of the game or provide improved competitive opportunities for lower-ranked nations. Instead, it will make a mockery of the qualification process for most confederations."

 

Why expand?

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has been behind the move, saying the World Cup has to be "more inclusive".

 

Speaking at a sports conference in Dubai in December, Infantino said expansion will also benefit "the development of football all over the world".

 

He added: "There is nothing bigger in terms of boosting football in a country than participating in a World Cup."

 

Despite saying "the decision should not just be financially driven", Infantino did highlight the possible financial upsides.

 

According to Fifa's own research, revenue is predicted to increase to £5.29bn for a 48-team tournament, giving a potential profit rise of £521m.

 

Edited by carefreeluke
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Groups of 3 wtf

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed yesterday by Infantino... First the European Championships and now there goes the World Cup. Bye bye football!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't give a damn about the number of teams tbh - we've went from 16 to 32 and now people are acting like going from 32 to 48 is some horrendous scandal.

Groups of 3 are probably going to end up shite, though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This means we qualify every time even though we end up runners up

 

woohooo

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose groups of 3 will give the likes of Kenya and Fiji a chance to get through.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute disgrace. How sad to consider that the shambles of Russia 2018 is going to be the last World Cup I can probably take at all seriously.

Blatter going was just a part of the ongoing mess. Didn't have a jot of faith in Infantino the second I heard he was yet another non-football man and he's proven my cynicism right. A move done for no reasons other than revenue and an attempt to win the votes of the nobody footballing countries who apparently football needs to help, rather than themselves.

I would like to retract a previous comment where I said I would back the FA if they pulled out of FIFA, and replace it with saying I wouldn't ever back the FA if they fail to. The World Cup's gone for me after Russia. It's going to be such a farce after Russia that it'll be of hardly any interest to me. I'd happily pull out and play the home nations. It's sad that it's come to that but for me it has.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the sign of the times unfortunately and at the moment the tv companies are the ones that rule the roost in this case with all that comes with it.  The terrible European Championships in terms of elite football quality is the prof of this.

What they want is more teams qualifying and in this case grabbing more viewers that are personally interested and also almost guaranteeing all the top dogs qualifying every time which is massive for the media portals.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now