carefreeluke

Ozil is overrated

61 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

You wouldn't be saying that if he played for Liverpool. We have absolutely wasted 3 of his prime years. Guarantee if he was playing for someone like Klopp he'd be sensational.

100% agree with his agent, Arsenal fans love a scapegoat. They shit on Özil every week but I'm sure they'd rip the shit out of him if he left. Genuinely can't stand Arsenal fans a lot of the time now. They have no respect for a lot of our players. We boo Bacary Sagna for fuck sake...

Oh mate, I have no idea what you're talking about there.  I have been watching Özil at The Emirates almost every week since he arrived and he is as it says on the tin and how he's been everywhere he's played.  When the team is playing well, he most times takes those moments to show what he can do.  Then the rest of the time he's lazy and that's no joke.  He is BONE IDLE!

Who's asking him to run around like a headless chicken making tackles everywhere?  Eh!  NOBODY, that's who.

Read carefully:  Football fans ask from their players for PASSION and the very minimum they ask for is that when you lose the ball, you work to recover you bloody error.

He's NOT our best player and to be frank even in his best moments I haven't felt that way.  My nephews in Madrid when I've sent them the new season's Arsenal kits they've never asked for Özil's name on the back and that actually tells you a story in itself.

Edited by SirBalon

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Oh mate, I have no idea what you're talking about there.  I have been watching Özil at The Emirates almost every week since he arrived and he is as it says on the tin and how he's been everywhere he's played.  When the team is playing well, he most times takes those moments to show what he can do.  Then the rest of the time he's lazy and that's no joke.  He is BONE IDLE!

Who's asking him to run around like a headless chicken making tackles everywhere?  Eh!  NOBODY, that's who.

Read carefully:  Football fans ask from their players for PASSION and the very minimum they ask for is that when you lose the ball, you work to recover you bloody error.

He's NOT our best player and to be frank even in his best moments I haven't felt that way.  My nephews in Madrid when I've sent them the new season's Arsenal kits they've never asked for Özil's name on the back and that actually tells you a story in itself.

Who genuinely plays at their best for us now though? That's my point.

I get what you're saying and I've seen it said a thousand times, but I will always back Ozil because I think him and a lot of others have been let down big time here. To be honest though everyone likes to criticise Ozil's defensive work, but what is the defensive structure at Arsenal? There is none and no-one has a clue what they are doing. I don't believe he is anywhere near as bad as people make out, no way would a defensive coach like Mourinho love him if he was a liability.

I think the one thing you can pin on Mesut is he seems to need to be pushed more than others. That could be seen as a massive character fault, especially for such a good player., but it's obvious he isn't getting that push at Arsenal. 

28 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Who genuinely plays at their best for us now though? That's my point.

I get what you're saying and I've seen it said a thousand times, but I will always back Ozil because I think him and a lot of others have been let down big time here. To be honest though everyone likes to criticise Ozil's defensive work, but what is the defensive structure at Arsenal? There is none and no-one has a clue what they are doing. I don't believe he is anywhere near as bad as people make out, no way would a defensive coach like Mourinho love him if he was a liability.

I think the one thing you can pin on Mesut is he seems to need to be pushed more than others. That could be seen as a massive character fault, especially for such a good player., but it's obvious he isn't getting that push at Arsenal. 

Özil has flaws mate, serious flaws within his amazing talent. But what I seem to be capturing from your comments is more damning toward Wenger than I have even contemplated. You are actually laying basic coaching lagoons at the feet of Arsene Wenger and that's further than I've yet heard mate. 

Sanchez must be getting coached separately then because he seems to do ok? 

28 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Unless Alexis had the same coach at Barcelona, then all we have here is the nature of each player. One works hard and the other is bone idle. Both have great talent but only one in my view is a luxury. 

25 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No Alexis is just as bad at times, he lacks serious discipline and people credit his work rate but his pressing amounts to nothing. Mainly because he's the only one pressing and he just get's passed around. 

It's a role reversal if last season, Alexis was poor & Özil was superb last year. I believe because they both have such great ability it masks how inefficient we are. Both of them have more gears.

37 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Özil has flaws mate, serious flaws within his amazing talent. But what I seem to be capturing from your comments is more damning toward Wenger than I have even contemplated. You are actually laying basic coaching lagoons at the feet of Arsene Wenger and that's further than I've yet heard mate. 

Yes I believe it is Wenger's fault. He doesn't get the best out of his players like he used to.

6 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

No Alexis is just as bad at times, he lacks serious discipline and people credit his work rate but his pressing amounts to nothing. Mainly because he's the only one pressing and he just get's passed around. 

It's a role reversal if last season, Alexis was poor & Özil was superb last year. I believe because they both have such great ability it masks how inefficient we are. Both of them have more gears.

Yes I believe it is Wenger's fault. He doesn't get the best out of his players like he used to.

For me that's not a lack of discipline mate. It's what he was taught at Barcelona as that's one of the basis of Barça's game and the pressing up front is something all players should be doing so as to steal the ball further up the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

For me that's not a lack of discipline mate. It's what he was taught at Barcelona as that's one of the basis of Barça's game and the pressing up front is something all players should be doing so as to steal the ball further up the pitch. 

Well it's lack of discipline when he is the only one doing it. If your going to press it has to be done as a team. Alexis pressing by himself only creates gaps for the opposition. 

Again this comes down to coaching, we either press as a team or hold our shape. If Wenger wants to hold shape, he should reign Alexis in. This again for me comes down to lack of defensive structure.

I'd bet that if Sanchez was sold this summer the majority of Arsenal fans would be extremely upset. 

I'd also bet that if Ozil was sold this summer the majority of Arsenal fans wouldn't give a monkeys toss. 

Arsenal should replace Ozil for Hakim Ziyech. 

1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Well it's lack of discipline when he is the only one doing it. If your going to press it has to be done as a team. Alexis pressing by himself only creates gaps for the opposition. 

Again this comes down to coaching, we either press as a team or hold our shape. If Wenger wants to hold shape, he should reign Alexis in. This again for me comes down to lack of defensive structure.

Indeed it's a coaching issue and I left it for you to say because that's exactly what we should be doing, pressing from the front. Wenger's lack of tactical knowledge has let him reside on the easier format of collecting the ball further back and using the counter. Poor managers do that because it's totally down to pace and a simple three move strategy. 

46 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I'd bet that if Sanchez was sold this summer the majority of Arsenal fans would be extremely upset. 

I'd also bet that if Ozil was sold this summer the majority of Arsenal fans wouldn't give a monkeys toss. 

I couldn't give a monkey's if Özil goes to be honest although I'd rather keep him if given the choice. Although not at the cost of Alexis who is much more valuable. 

Edited by SirBalon

16 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Özil isn't overrated. Only a madman would deny his undoubted talent. What he is is DAMNED LAZY!

The stats from last match say otherwise.

most tackles(Arsenal only):

1. Özil 5
  2. Gibbs 3
  3. Koscielny 3

dispossessed(Arsenal only):

• Özil 0
  • Oxlade 4

Errors that lead to goal:

• Özil 0
  • Oxlade 1

We had a good workrate during the EUROs, too.

Infact his defensive contribution improved so much, that Löw let him play as a creative, defensive midfielder in our friendly against Italy.

1 hour ago, True Bender said:

The stats from last match say otherwise.

most tackles(Arsenal only):

1. Özil 5
  2. Gibbs 3
  3. Koscielny 3

dispossessed(Arsenal only):

• Özil 0
  • Oxlade 4

Errors that lead to goal:

• Özil 0
  • Oxlade 1

We had a good workrate during the EUROs, too.

Infact his defensive contribution improved so much, that Löw let him play as a creative, defensive midfielder in our friendly against Italy.

Those stats are corrupt mate because I was jumping up and down in a rage with two moments where Özil gets the ball stolen from his feet and refrains from chasing back.

All the same, everyone knows including in Germany where Mesut's problems are and it's nothing new. He isn't the scapegoat, because Wenger is to blame. 

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You're probably right, that's because the majority of Arsenal fans are bell-ends. They love Coquelin more than Ozil. 

Arsenal should replace Ozil for Hakim Ziyech. 

Wanted us to go for him in the summer. Was about £8mil as well wasn't it. Absolute robbery.

Finally it is on the table, Ozil is indeed overrated. Talented player who makes football good to your eyes, but he is no special player in my opinion.

Ozil is not overrated in my opinion. He has been feeding to Giroud which makes him unproductive. 

I fail to understand how can someone say Ozil is overrated? The guy oozes with class. The ball control, skill, technique of Ozil is world class. You do not expect players like him and Silva and Iniesta to do the dirty work.