Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mel81x

Nintendo Switch

31 posts in this topic

Figured someone would have posted in here considering we have a big base of people who were interested when the Nintendo announced their classic release. Quite like what they are attempting to do here and with a new LOZ on the way (which looks very impressive so far) this looks like a good switch up for them.

It's a creative idea and plays to their strengths. They aren't going to compete with Microsoft & Sony in terms of bringing out a full console so are getting the best of both worlds by allowing you to take this on the go. I think I might invest in this if the price is right as I do use my PS Vita when on long car journeys or flights. If the Switch can offer good experiences in worlds such as GTA, Red Dead and Skyrim along with the classics like Mario & Zelda then I'm in. 

One thing that already looks poor though is the controller. Both versions of them look really uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

It's a creative idea and plays to their strengths. They aren't going to compete with Microsoft & Sony in terms of bringing out a full console so are getting the best of both worlds by allowing you to take this on the go. I think I might invest in this if the price is right as I do use my PS Vita when on long car journeys or flights. If the Switch can offer good experiences in worlds such as GTA, Red Dead and Skyrim along with the classics like Mario & Zelda then I'm in. 

One thing that already looks poor though is the controller. Both versions of them look really uncomfortable.

Haha, that will never happen.

The initial idea looks great and is already a far more appealing prospect than the Wii U was (that and the trailer actually showed what the aim is).

However, there are a lot of questions that need to be answered, such as power/specs (though it should always be based on the games, let's be honest, few are forking over money if it's no better than the Wii U), battery life when in 'handheld' mode, price, online capabilities etc. before knowing whether to proorder or not.

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Think when its attached to the actual main block its quite good but as those mini nunchucks they look terribly weird but thats been discussed on a lot of sites already. There is a separate controller but then you lose the portability which is the main selling point here.

I am curious what the battery life on this thing is going to be like because as a 3DS user I can say that its always getting packed when I am flying long distance or on business trips so this looks like a good substitute albeit a much larger one. 

As for AAA titles coming to this like the ones mentioned above. As Spike said no chance. Nintendo aren't famous for doing that and I remember very few instances where they have gone the other way. The best one being RE4 and the GC but I haven't seen anything else in recent years to suggest they'll do it again.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Haha, that will never happen.

Skyrim is literally in the trailer you tit. And they have a deal with TakeTwo, so we may see a watered down Rockstar game.

11 minutes ago, Mazzari said:

Skyrim is literally in the trailer you tit. And they have a deal with TakeTwo, so we may see a watered down Rockstar game.

Trailers are full of shit all the time. I'll believe the release of a five year-old mediocre game when I see it.  TakeTwo distributes a fuck load of games per year, it'll probably just be wrasslin' or NBA. TakeTwo has actually developed what, two games twenty years ago? Means fuck all till it's announced.

Just now, Spike said:

Trailers are full of shit all the time. I'll believe the release of a five year-old mediocre game when I see it.  TakeTwo distributes a fuck load of games per year, it'll probably just be wrasslin' or NBA. TakeTwo has actually developed what, two games twenty years ago? Means fuck all till it's announced.

At the end of the day, I'll buy the console if it has WWE, FIFA, Mario Kart and a few other games on it. The main appeal for me is ease of access - if the Nvidia support manages to get it to the performance of an Xbone or PS4, that's more than enough for most games,

Just now, Mazzari said:

At the end of the day, I'll buy the console if it has WWE, FIFA, Mario Kart and a few other games on it. The main appeal for me is ease of access - if the Nvidia support manages to get it to the performance of an Xbone or PS4, that's more than enough for most games,

I don't care what the graphics look like and I only play Mario Kart out of those games you listed and I don't need the new Mario Kart. I'd rather own something that offers something new rather than a yearly iteration of a sports title. I still own FIFA '98 and I'd wager it's more fun than the latest edition.

Just now, Spike said:

I don't care what the graphics look like and I only play Mario Kart out of those games you listed and I don't need the new Mario Kart. I'd rather own something that offers something new rather than a yearly iteration of a sports title. I still own FIFA '98 and I'd wager it's more fun than the latest edition.

I'm not talking graphics, I'm talking ability to play those games. If you tried to play the full WWE 2K17 on X360 hardware, it would run at ridiculously bad FPS or crash. I'm more than comfortable with graphics at the level they are right now, that doesn't interest me on the whole.

Just now, Mazzari said:

I'm not talking graphics, I'm talking ability to play those games. If you tried to play the full WWE 2K17 on X360 hardware, it would run at ridiculously bad FPS or crash. I'm more than comfortable with graphics at the level they are right now, that doesn't interest me on the whole.

Play WWE 2k14 then.

Just now, Spike said:

Play WWE 2k14 then.

Games have advanced since then and added many new features/new engines. You can say "they're the same year on year" - but playing 2k14 next to 2k17 would make it clear how the games have changed - in engine, mechanics, gameplay, features and graphics.

1 minute ago, Mazzari said:

Games have advanced since then and added many new features/new engines. You can say "they're the same year on year" - but playing 2k14 next to 2k17 would make it clear how the games have changed - in engine, mechanics, gameplay, features and graphics.

I'd play HCTP (10/10, I wish I had it with me) over the new games. That one is thirteen years old. I really don't care about that, am I having fun? Why am I spending so much money on something that is only marginally different?

Just now, Spike said:

I'd play HCTP (10/10, I wish I had it with me) over the new games. That one is thirteen years old. I really don't care about that, am I having fun? Why am I spending so much money on something that is only marginally different?

Guess it's about what you've played, I never really played HCTP or any of the PS2 games, I've only really picked up the games since 2K took over. Before that, I'd never really considered it

I think any older titles redesigned to use this new interface structure will be very very entertaining to play. I can think of a Pokemon game they will absolutely milk on this platform now that its closer to the handheld sector (unless the price is too high) and a new Metroid might not be a bad idea either.

11 hours ago, Mazzari said:

Both Bethesda and 2K have confirmed that Skyrim and the NBA game were not being made for Switch and the trailers were illustrative purposes only.

That's really poor on Nintendo's part for me. It's almost false advertising. Why show a product playing a game like Skyrim if all it will actually play is Wario Land.

45 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

That's really poor on Nintendo's part for me. It's almost false advertising. Why show a product playing a game like Skyrim if all it will actually play is Wario Land.

Not necessarily poor. The trailer was not showing actual games being made for the Switch and was just demonstrating what it can do/is capable of doing.

Companies do this all the time, showing things off that aren't necessarily part of the final product.

Maybe my memory is hazy on this one but I think Nintendo has a strict blood and gore policy on their games which is why a lot of the so called AAA titles have never made it to their consoles? I realize its silly because they had an RE game on there but I somehow remember reading it somewhere. 

I really hope Nintendo actually will embrace esports but I very highly doubt it.

2 hours ago, GGGon said:

I really hope Nintendo actually will embrace esports but I very highly doubt it.

They probably won't as they don't really make that sort of games. However, Smash Bros Melee and the Wii U version have been part of the Evo fighting tournaments, so I guess you could argue that's kinda esports (Melee actually set the record as well for getting the most views out of  the fighting games).

38 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

They probably won't as they don't really make that sort of games. However, Smash Bros Melee and the Wii U version have been part of the Evo fighting tournaments, so I guess you could argue that's kinda esports (Melee actually set the record as well for getting the most views out of  the fighting games).

Yeah I'm a big fan of pro Smash, Melee in particular. It's doing incredibly well at the moment, but every other esport of that size has some kind of developer support. Nintendo want no part it in at all, seem to think it goes against the spirit of the game or something. 

So I pre-ordered one as I had figured it was time to upgrade what I had in my Nintendo set and I like the idea of something that doesn't necessarily have to be tethered to my TV. Plus I can't say no to a new LoZ game anyways.

I liked the initial idea, but the price of the console and the games (as well as the poor selection available) has put me off for now. A shame as I could have treated myself on my birthday.

8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I liked the initial idea, but the price of the console and the games (as well as the poor selection available) has put me off for now. A shame as I could have treated myself on my birthday.

The other reason was getting it for my bday and I like the idea of having something to take around and kill time when I am travelling as well.

Who else is playing Zelda? Absolutely ridiculously good so far but still getting better!!

Can seriously see myself taking next week off work to keep playing this!

Would be interested to hear what people think of this. Was first I heard about it today amazingly and does look kinda cool, but wonder if the novelty will wear off very quickly like it did on the Wii a few years ago.

On 03/03/2017 at 0:13 PM, Mr Red said:

Who else is playing Zelda? Absolutely ridiculously good so far but still getting better!!

Can seriously see myself taking next week off work to keep playing this!

Think I'll wait as surprisingly I'm not generally bothered with the Zelda series (though I would be tempted by this). Waiting on how the Switch does and Mario Odyssey before making my mind up.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

I bought the console for zelda. Same as with the last 2 nintendo consoles. Skipped the Wii U though.

So far I'm very happy with the decision. The switch is cool to use. The pick it up and take it with you aspect is awesome. You don't realise how annoying it was not to be able to do it until you have it there. 

The pro controller is better for console style play so i'd recommend dropping some extra cash for that if that's what your after.