Ubuntu

NHL 2015/16 Thread

314 posts in this topic

For a made up tournement with made up teams and madeup trophies its been fairly exciting hockey at least  :)

There is an air of ambivalence around the Blackhawks right now. The core of the team remains strong even with Hossa, Seabrook, and Keith on the wrong side of thirty. It is a cause for concern that Hossa and Toews just aren't putting the points up, the latter is especially worrying. It's great to see so many debutantes in the team right now, the Hawks have always been strong in bleeding in youth but this is too many too fast. It was a baptism by fire against the Blues and I hope this is just the growing pains of some great young players but if they aren't solid by mid-season some questions and trades need to raised. I can't tell you why Gustafsson isn't in the squad, he should be.

The losses of Saad and Shaw will hurt the Hawks for a long time. 

:lols: This season just a continuation of the obvious that the Marlies are the only Toronto hockey team worth anything anymore. We should have an AHL thread on this forum.

2 hours ago, TrstntheGr1m said:

:lols: This season just a continuation of the obvious that the Marlies are the only Toronto hockey team worth anything anymore. We should have an AHL thread on this forum.

But the Marlies are more or less making up your maple leaf team :lols:

In other news im headed to the capitals game when they're here on saturday... good opportunity to dawn the Ovi jersey :ay:

Yeah that Mcdavid is quite something, but they've actually build a team for once. Bad news for us in the west :cool:

Did anyone hear the story about Craig Anderson there on the weekend? His wife was diagnosed with cancer last week so he took a leave.. came back to play last night against the Oilers as his wife told 'him go play theres nothing you can do here for me' the guy posts a 37 save shutout, gets named first star and the Oilers fans give him a standing ovation and apparently Cam Talbot stayed behind to applaud him too. Thats the type of stuff that makes sport special :ay:

PK Subban is the most overrated player in hockey. Yeah, on the blue-line he is class as well as the PP but his brain-farts have cost a lot of goals in his career.

On 11/5/2016 at 11:23 AM, Spike said:

PK Subban is the most overrated player in hockey. Yeah, on the blue-line he is class as well as the PP but his brain-farts have cost a lot of goals in his career.

Well team Canada seems to agree somewhat with you as they didnt even take him on their worldcup roster that just passed :tongues: I don't think hes overrated but he is certainly no Shea Weber, hes had a tough start to his Nashville career thats for sure. 

Im still going nuts over that Kadri hit on Daniel Sedin from saturday, im at a loss for words that theres no suspension.. i just don't know anymore

21 hours ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Well team Canada seems to agree somewhat with you as they didnt even take him on their worldcup roster that just passed :tongues: I don't think hes overrated but he is certainly no Shea Weber, hes had a tough start to his Nashville career thats for sure. 

Im still going nuts over that Kadri hit on Daniel Sedin from saturday, im at a loss for words that theres no suspension.. i just don't know anymore

You don't see hits like that when the Hawks play.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

You don't see hits like that when the Hawks play.

Its true, usually Keith is busy dishing out the cheap shots :coffee:

In all seriousness its frustrating as hell. 

3 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Its true, usually Keith is busy dishing out the cheap shots :coffee:

In all seriousness its frustrating as hell. 

One hit and he has a reputation :lols: Still salty

1 hour ago, Spike said:

One hit and he has a reputation :lols: Still salty

Hes canadian so i cut him some slack, but you cannot deny that hes a cunt and theres been several incidents. Its not that it was a bad hit like Kadri its that it was a "play" for lack of a better term that doesnt belong in the sport it was an elbow to the head while the pucks in the air hell yeah im still salty about that its complete bullshit. KThe Sedins simply don't get the respect other stars have for years, partly because noone does anything half the time on our teams to stick up for anyone. Could you imagine if that happend to Toews? Or a shot at Bergeron on Boston in their hayday. 

56 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Hes canadian so i cut him some slack, but you cannot deny that hes a cunt and theres been several incidents. Its not that it was a bad hit like Kadri its that it was a "play" for lack of a better term that doesnt belong in the sport it was an elbow to the head while the pucks in the air hell yeah im still salty about that its complete bullshit. KThe Sedins simply don't get the respect other stars have for years, partly because noone does anything half the time on our teams to stick up for anyone. Could you imagine if that happend to Toews? Or a shot at Bergeron on Boston in their hayday. 

Toews could take it. You paint the picture that Keith is a serial offender when there has only been a handful of incidents in over a decade. Let's not pretend we are talking about a player like Carcillo.

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

Toews could take it. You paint the picture that Keith is a serial offender when there has only been a handful of incidents in over a decade. Let's not pretend we are talking about a player like Carcillo.

Nah i wouldnt say hes that bad but at this point he is a repeat offender. The crosscheck to the face in the playoffs (cant remember who it was) the stick swing into Coyle's face against the wild last year, the Backes comments a few years back. Take nothing away from the player he is but he is a cunt.

Toews may very well take it, Daniel did too he came back to play and didnt miss a beat. but thats not the point, the point is noone takes those shots at Toews and if someone did they would get mobbed right away 1000%. Thats what bothers me more then anything. The whole turn the other cheek mantra is kind of bullshit as half the time the punishments don't fit the crime.

17 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Nah i wouldnt say hes that bad but at this point he is a repeat offender. The crosscheck to the face in the playoffs (cant remember who it was) the stick swing into Coyle's face against the wild last year, the Backes comments a few years back. Take nothing away from the player he is but he is a cunt.

Toews may very well take it, Daniel did too he came back to play and didnt miss a beat. but thats not the point, the point is noone takes those shots at Toews and if someone did they would get mobbed right away 1000%. Thats what bothers me more then anything. The whole turn the other cheek mantra is kind of bullshit as half the time the punishments don't fit the crime.

The slash on Coyle was a temper tantrum. Could've happened to anyone, not that I condone it. He was bodychecked by Coyle and when Keith hit the ice slashed out at Coyle. And the Backes comments? Haha, banter is a part of sports and if it really wound Backes up he would've dropped the gloves. There are far more outrageous sledges said in cricket.

Get an enforcer, that'l stop people picking on poor ol' Daniel.

29 minutes ago, Spike said:

The slash on Coyle was a temper tantrum. Could've happened to anyone, not that I condone it. He was bodychecked by Coyle and when Keith hit the ice slashed out at Coyle. And the Backes comments? Haha, banter is a part of sports and if it really wound Backes up he would've dropped the gloves. There are far more outrageous sledges said in cricket.

Get an enforcer, that'l stop people picking on poor ol' Daniel.

Yeah i remember the play sure hes pissed he got rocked by a good hit, nobody swings their stick like that though and he knew exactly what he was doing. Banter? could be but his history says otherwise. The play im referring too was when backes couldnt get up (rubber legs) Keith skated by and said "wakey wakey backes" yeah banter sure, but the entire world heard it because of mics everywhere nowadays and when questioned about it he just shrugged and said hes not sure what he said, basically denying it. After being clearly concussed i don't think Backes could just drop the gloves with the prick. 

Im not just talking about cheap shots when referring to the Sedins im talking about the entire lack of respect they seemingly get overall. Ala Shawn Thorton sticking his finger in Henriks face when their talking to the refs, Marchand ragdolling one of them (cant recall which it was) the constant calling them sisters and soft around the league. You just really don't see that around the league with other superstars thats all im saying. It goes alot further then just have an enforcer for poor ol' Daniel as you put it. 

17 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Yeah i remember the play sure hes pissed he got rocked by a good hit, nobody swings their stick like that though and he knew exactly what he was doing. Banter? could be but his history says otherwise. The play im referring too was when backes couldnt get up (rubber legs) Keith skated by and said "wakey wakey backes" yeah banter sure, but the entire world heard it because of mics everywhere nowadays and when questioned about it he just shrugged and said hes not sure what he said, basically denying it. After being clearly concussed i don't think Backes could just drop the gloves with the prick. 

Im not just talking about cheap shots when referring to the Sedins im talking about the entire lack of respect they seemingly get overall. Ala Shawn Thorton sticking his finger in Henriks face when their talking to the refs, Marchand ragdolling one of them (cant recall which it was) the constant calling them sisters and soft around the league. You just really don't see that around the league with other superstars thats all im saying. It goes alot further then just have an enforcer for poor ol' Daniel as you put it. 

And? If that is controversial in Canada then you'd cry listening to what is said in the Australian playgrounds. 

Poor ol' Backes with his hurt feelings getting paid millions of dollars to play a full-contact support. No empathy here.

I won't stand up for the slashing, eye raking and ragdolling and other legit dangerous play outside of a rough hit but calling them sisters and soft is hilarious and a part of sports. 

20 minutes ago, Spike said:

And? If that is controversial in Canada then you'd cry listening to what is said in the Australian playgrounds. 

Poor ol' Backes with his hurt feelings getting paid millions of dollars to play a full-contact support. No empathy here.

I won't stand up for the slashing, eye raking and ragdolling and other legit dangerous play outside of a rough hit but calling them sisters and soft is hilarious and a part of sports. 

Its massively controversial because of the concussion issue coming to the forefront in recent years. Personally i don't think its a massive deal but it does point to his character as do his actions. 

If you or me call them sisters and soft, thats fine. When your opposition on the ice says it, sure thats fine, alot worse gets said im sure. BUT when its said by your peers and opposition on radio and through the media give me a break thats just classless plain and simple. 

Edited by Viva la Bayern

Just now, Viva la Bayern said:

Its massively controversial because of the concussion issue coming to the forefront in recent years. Personally i don't think its a massive deal but it does point to his character as do his actions. 

If you or me call them sisters and soft, thats fine. When your opposition on the ice says it, sure thats fine, alot worse gets said im sure. BUT when its said by your peers and opposition on radio and through the media give me a break thats just classless plain and simple. 

Think about it though, did Keith know he had a full concussion at the time?

I suppose you're right about the latter parts, yeah, it is different when the media and peers say it.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Think about it though, did Keith know he had a full concussion at the time?

I suppose you're right about the latter parts, yeah, it is different when the media and peers say it.

I mean i cant say for sure im not in Keiths head but when you see a guy try and get up after a big hit and his legs go wonky and he falls over its usually only one thing. 

I'd have to dig up the radio clip but i want to say it was last summer, maybe the summer before it Tyler Seguin and Jaimie Benn where on a radio station in Dallas. They where goated into it to be fair by the hosts but they went right along with slagging them calling them sisters, saying they probably sleep in bunk beds together and went as far as to insinuate incest. They publically apologized as it was a complete shitstorm here as Benn is a local kid. 

2 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

I mean i cant say for sure im not in Keiths head but when you see a guy try and get up after a big hit and his legs go wonky and he falls over its usually only one thing. 

I'd have to dig up the radio clip but i want to say it was last summer, maybe the summer before it Tyler Seguin and Jaimie Benn where on a radio station in Dallas. They where goated into it to be fair by the hosts but they went right along with slagging them calling them sisters, saying they probably sleep in bunk beds together and went as far as to insinuate incest. They publically apologized as it was a complete shitstorm here as Benn is a local kid. 

It should be left on the ice and in the locker-room. Unnecessary to say it in public.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

It should be left on the ice and in the locker-room. Unnecessary to say it in public.

Agreed. The only response we got on that subject from Henrik was something along the lines of "It says more about them then us" Maybe thats what irks me so much about the everything, they're two of the classiest players ive seen come through here in my lifetime, hugely involved in the community etc and have taken so much shit in the 16 17 years they've been here even from our own fan base. Anyways that was a good rant and discussion, cheers

14 minutes ago, Viva la Bayern said:

Agreed. The only response we got on that subject from Henrik was something along the lines of "It says more about them then us" Maybe thats what irks me so much about the everything, they're two of the classiest players ive seen come through here in my lifetime, hugely involved in the community etc and have taken so much shit in the 16 17 years they've been here even from our own fan base. Anyways that was a good rant and discussion, cheers

Only idiots would knock on two players that have scored nearly 1000 points each. On the other hand notorious wife-beater and racist; Bobby Hull has as statue outside the UC.

Man Spike i hope you caught that game saturday night against us :lols: We had a 3-0 lead heading into the third and you guys came back to win it in ot, technically twice (first time was called back for offside). Man what a crazy overtime though thats probably the most exciting 3 on 3 ive seen so far. 

On 11/24/2016 at 5:37 PM, Viva la Bayern said:

Man Spike i hope you caught that game saturday night against us :lols: We had a 3-0 lead heading into the third and you guys came back to win it in ot, technically twice (first time was called back for offside). Man what a crazy overtime though thats probably the most exciting 3 on 3 ive seen so far. 

Yeah, I saw bits and pieces of it. What a nuts game.

Damn I miss Shaw. I swear someone like Toews (or another senior player) must have been able to keep him calmer at Chicago but he has never been so consistently short-of-temper till now.  Or maybe he knew Coach Q would destroy him in the lockerroom.

Edited by Spike

Allstar game rosters where announced this morning, on first glance no real surprises for me.

ATLANTIC DIVISION

Forwards

Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning
Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins
Auston Matthews, Toronto Maple Leafs
Frans Nielsen, Detroit Red Wings
Kyle Okposo, Buffalo Sabres
Vincent Trocheck, Florida Panthers

Defensemen

Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators
Shea Weber, Montreal Canadiens

CENTRAL DIVISION

Forwards

Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets
Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche
Tyler Seguin, Dallas Stars
Vladimir Tarasenko, St. Louis Blues
Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Defensemen

P.K. Subban, Nashville Predators (C)
Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Suter, Minnesota Wild

Goaltenders

Corey Crawford, Chicago Blackhawks
Devan Dubnyk, Minnesota Wild

Goaltenders

Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens (C)
Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins

METROPOLITAN DIVISION

Forwards

Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins (C)
Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils
Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins
Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
Wayne Simmonds, Philadelphia Flyers
John Tavares, New York Islanders

Defensemen

Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes
Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets
Ryan McDonagh, New York Rangers

Goaltenders

Sergei Bobrovsky, Columbus Blue Jackets
Braden Holtby, Washington Capitals

PACIFIC DIVISION

Forwards

Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers (C)
Jeff Carter, Los Angeles Kings
Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames
Bo Horvat, Vancouver Canucks
Ryan Kesler, Anaheim Ducks
Joe Pavelski, San Jose Sharks

Defensemen

Brent Burns, San Jose Sharks
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
Cam Fowler, Anaheim Ducks

Goaltenders

Martin Jones, San Jose Sharks
Mike Smith, Arizona Coyotes

FUCKING YES RED WANGS v BLACKHAWKS TONIGHT

Also Kane and Toews over Panarin :lols: This has been Toews worst season yet and Kane has been underwhelming after last season. Only Breadman has been keeping the heat on.

39 minutes ago, Spike said:

FUCKING YES RED WANGS v BLACKHAWKS TONIGHT

Also Kane and Toews over Panarin :lols: This has been Toews worst season yet and Kane has been underwhelming after last season. Only Breadman has been keeping the heat on.

Good point, Toews probably just going on reputation at this point, it hasnt been his greatest half season ever....

Capitals struggling ever since the big deadline signing.....4 regulation losses in a row and Pens ate into an 8 point lead.....watch out for Pittsburgh 

16 hours ago, Chazz said:

Capitals struggling ever since the big deadline signing.....4 regulation losses in a row and Pens ate into an 8 point lead.....watch out for Pittsburgh 

Can you hear the echo?

Montreal has a crucial back to back against Ottawa this weekend, I think they will split