Ubuntu

NHL 2015/16 Thread

314 posts in this topic

I know we have a 'general' hockey thread, but it seems we have a fair bit of NHL fans here so I thought it'd be best to create a new thread, for a new season. 

Games start on October 7, 2015 with the following match ups:

Habs vs Leafs

Rangers vs 'Hawks

Canucks vs Flames

Sharks vs Kings

I absolutely love the start of the a new season, especially since the 'Hawks are the defending champions  :thumbup: First game of games are 4 rivalry games which is the way it should be. 

As a Blackhawks fan, it's crazy to think just how upside down this whole off season went. From winning the Cup, to the allegations that Kane sexually assaulted/raped a woman in Buffalo, to losing stars like Sharp (Not surprised) and Brandon Saad (Surprised and disappointed), this new year is going to look a lot different for the Chicago team. 

Nothing as of yet as to Kane's punishment, but rumors have been going that the Blackhawks are tired of his shit and looking to deal him, which would crush us and personally be a sad day for me, but it's a business and I'm just a fan. Saad's departure hurt the most though as I loved watching him and his speed and agility on the ice, Sharp was a warrior for us, but he is too expensive and getting too old for us to seriously consider keeping him. 

My team is to watch this year has to be Dallas. They pick up Sharp, they still have Segiun and Benn, and they are just loaded to the gills with talent. Will be interesting to see if it all molds and they can make a championship run out of it. 

Anyways, post all your NHL thoughts and opinions here.

Lastly, I'm thinking of getting on ESPN in the next couple of night, maybe tonight, and creating a Fantasy Hockey league. Probably 14-16 teams, deep rosters, with a live online draft. Please PM me if you are interested. 

toewscup.jpg

I've created a fantasy league on ESPN, live draft, deep roster with a max of 10 keepers. Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you an invite. 

tide, I am in !

on a side Note the Montreal Canadians announced that they will name a captain this season, and Alex Galchenyuk will finally play center....

Looks like will play afterall. Rumors are an out of court settlement is in the works. Saw where we are preseason favorites again and I just don't see how. I think losing Saad is a bigger deal than people realize. 

Blackhawks raise the banner tonight as they host the Rangers. Other games include - 

Habs at Leafs

Canucks at Flames

Sharks at Kings

well im a canucks fan so needless to say im not too enthused about this season. first year in a long long time im not doing any pools 

and it didnt take long for kassian to get into trouble LOL your problem now habs. well played benning  :ninja:

well im a canucks fan so needless to say im not too enthused about this season. first year in a long long time im not doing any pools 

and it didnt take long for kassian to get into trouble LOL your problem now habs. well played benning  :ninja:

I grew up a Blackhawsk/Thrasher fan. However, with the Trashers being the disaster they were, it's now all Blackhawks. It's been a rough off season, but finally we get to see the banner be raised and get to what matters, real hockey. 

I grew up a Blackhawsk/Thrasher fan. However, with the Trashers being the disaster they were, it's now all Blackhawks. It's been a rough off season, but finally we get to see the banner be raised and get to what matters, real hockey. 

wait wait wait. you mean to tell me the thrashers had a fan? 

i give no sympathy for chicago youve reloaded the supporting cast 3 different times to win a cup. im confident youll be back in contention in no time. you have a couple of young gems too that tavo taravoinen was the best player at the world juniors when finland won what 2 years ago i think it was? the management job thats been done there over the years is second to none. 

wait wait wait. you mean to tell me the thrashers had a fan? 

i give no sympathy for chicago youve reloaded the supporting cast 3 different times to win a cup. im confident youll be back in contention in no time. you have a couple of young gems too that tavo taravoinen was the best player at the world juniors when finland won what 2 years ago i think it was? the management job thats been done there over the years is second to none. 

Not looking for sympathy, but the truth is losing Saad and Oduya is a giant deal. Not saying we aren't going to reload, or that we haven't reloaded, but Saad brought speed to the game that is rarely found on the ice, while Oduya was a rockstar in defense, and if it wasn't for Keith being himself, Oduya would have gotten more press for what he did to our team. 

Will be extremely interested to see how this season pans out. New Season, new love for new players, I'm just ready for it to start!

Blackhawks lose 3-2. Defense looked awful, Paranin, Kane, and Teuvo all looked good. Keith was caught out of position a time or two. 

But it really doesn't matter TOO much, as it's early and the goal is the just make the playoffs, not finish first during the regular season. 

Ottawa - Buffalo tonight. I enjoy watching this Senator team so it'll be interesting to see how well they do. 

Not looking for sympathy, but the truth is losing Saad and Oduya is a giant deal. Not saying we aren't going to reload, or that we haven't reloaded, but Saad brought speed to the game that is rarely found on the ice, while Oduya was a rockstar in defense, and if it wasn't for Keith being himself, Oduya would have gotten more press for what he did to our team. 

Will be extremely interested to see how this season pans out. New Season, new love for new players, I'm just ready for it to start!

yeah it is. oduya was always under appreciated i thought they would be able to resign him especially once they traded sharp as well. 

anywho despite my better judgement i did watch the canucks game last night and boy did they look good. still the ceiling for the season is making the playoffs 

yeah it is. oduya was always under appreciated i thought they would be able to resign him especially once they traded sharp as well. 

anywho despite my better judgement i did watch the canucks game last night and boy did they look good. still the ceiling for the season is making the playoffs 

Canucks = Tons of fans, little success. Paying way too much for the Sedin's brothers as well.

Canucks = Tons of fans, little success. Paying way too much for the Sedin's brothers as well.

our best shot was 2011 where we where far anda way the best team in the league, we lost the war of attrition and we lost the refs. problem is from there the team just got older and nothing was done about it, wasted prospects and draft picks on guys like derrick roy to try and give it another go.

sedins getting paid too much? they make 7m a year, last year they were both top at 10 in scoring at 34 years old, compare their contracts to anyone else in that scoring bracket. 7m isnt bad at all. not only that before these contracts they were hideously underpaid. they will undoubtedly taper off sooner rather then later but id defend those contracts to the hilt. first ballot hall of famers that have never got the respect they deserve from around the league to be honest.  

our best shot was 2011 where we where far anda way the best team in the league, we lost the war of attrition and we lost the refs. problem is from there the team just got older and nothing was done about it, wasted prospects and draft picks on guys like derrick roy to try and give it another go.

sedins getting paid too much? they make 7m a year, last year they were both top at 10 in scoring at 34 years old, compare their contracts to anyone else in that scoring bracket. 7m isnt bad at all. not only that before these contracts they were hideously underpaid. they will undoubtedly taper off sooner rather then later but id defend those contracts to the hilt. first ballot hall of famers that have never got the respect they deserve from around the league to be honest.  

Wow - For some reason I thought the Sedins were close to $11m. 

Personally, I find it hard to watch West Coast games just because the timing doesn't work. I absolutely love the city, but with the massive time difference, their games just start too late. Hell, Blackhawk games starting at 8-8:30pm during the week is tiring. 

Blackhawks vs Flyers tomorrow night. I'm excited as I absolutely hate the Flyers. Love Wednesday night rivalry!

Wow - For some reason I thought the Sedins were close to $11m. 

Personally, I find it hard to watch West Coast games just because the timing doesn't work. I absolutely love the city, but with the massive time difference, their games just start too late. Hell, Blackhawk games starting at 8-8:30pm during the week is tiring. 

yeah i know exactly what you mean, and to shell out for the nhl gamecenter is just outrageously priced these days......i think it was close to 200$ a season.

do you go to any live games at all? cant remember whereabouts you live.

i live in a suburb outside of vancouver usually catch a couple games a year the tickets are always available nowadays with the dip in a success and prices have come down a tad too.  

i still catch more whitecaps games as the cost is still nearly half 

yeah i know exactly what you mean, and to shell out for the nhl gamecenter is just outrageously priced these days......i think it was close to 200$ a season.

do you go to any live games at all? cant remember whereabouts you live.

i live in a suburb outside of vancouver usually catch a couple games a year the tickets are always available nowadays with the dip in a success and prices have come down a tad too.  

i still catch more whitecaps games as the cost is still nearly half 

I live in Hockey's hell hole...the place where teams go to die.....that's right....Atlanta, GA. Where we once had the Flames and the Thrashers, and now both are housed north of the border. 

Closet team to me is Nashville by far. However, I have family from Chicago and so I've been a Blackhawks fans since before Toews and Kane. I catch the Blackhawks mostly when they come to Nashville and when they are in Columbus, OH (Wife's family is from there so that's just easy

wonder how long Carey Price will be out for, either way Habs keep winning

Carey Price has it so easy in the Leastern Conference. I think he'd be a little more exposed in the West.

Edited by Spike

Nice to see Saad isn't worth the $6,000,000 wages he demanded. Well, that doesn't mean much when Bicklol earns $4,000,000. I can't believe it.

Seabrook has easily been the Hawks best d-man in Keith's absence. He is putting up some unreal offensive points.

I think Chicago is still the team to beat this year, they have that extra gear when the chips are down, like the Pats in the NFL....

Kinda glad McDavid got injured and is doing poorly. Sick of hearing about the 'saviour of hockey'. Nonsense talk.

On a more positive note; Patrick Kane has stepped up to the next level this season. He must really be wanting to face up to these claims and remind people of his hockey skills. It doesn't mean much but he has a projected 128points this season! I hope so.

Artemi Panarin is the steal of the season. Great work from the Hawks' scouts.

he was doing well before he got hurt. did you catch any of cherrys rant about how he thinks that play was intentional  :lol:  god i havent been able to stand that windbag for years now

kanes been a mission for sure front runner for nearly every award at this point for my money.

il stay quiet about my canucks, 0-6 in overtime i forget how many of our losses are by 1 goal, were 5-5 when leading in the 3rd perio. growing pains will be tough

I live in Hockey's hell hole...the place where teams go to die.....that's right....Atlanta, GA. Where we once had the Flames and the Thrashers, and now both are housed north of the border. 

Closet team to me is Nashville by far. However, I have family from Chicago and so I've been a Blackhawks fans since before Toews and Kane. I catch the Blackhawks mostly when they come to Nashville and when they are in Columbus, OH (Wife's family is from there so that's just easy

sorry mate i forgot about this thread haha. yeah thats unfortunate for a hockey fan (the only one in atlanta mind you) to go through  :D  nashville has a killer team this year and last year theyve been exciting to watch. id put them in the convo for a possible run. i do miss our rivalry with the blackhawks i should post up a pic ive got a motif coffee table with mcfarlane figures with a legit icerink; its a setup of burrows scoring the overtime winner in game 7 2011 season against the hawks  :thumbup:

he was doing well before he got hurt. did you catch any of cherrys rant about how he thinks that play was intentional  :lol:  god i havent been able to stand that windbag for years now

kanes been a mission for sure front runner for nearly every award at this point for my money.

il stay quiet about my canucks, 0-6 in overtime i forget how many of our losses are by 1 goal, were 5-5 when leading in the 3rd perio. growing pains will be tough

sorry mate i forgot about this thread haha. yeah thats unfortunate for a hockey fan (the only one in atlanta mind you) to go through  :D  nashville has a killer team this year and last year theyve been exciting to watch. id put them in the convo for a possible run. i do miss our rivalry with the blackhawks i should post up a pic ive got a motif coffee table with mcfarlane figures with a legit icerink; its a setup of burrows scoring the overtime winner in game 7 2011 season against the hawks  :thumbup:

Oi, I live in Atlanta also. I know several hockey fans, in fact I constantly run into them in my suburb.

Oi, I live in Atlanta also. I know several hockey fans, in fact I constantly run into them in my suburb.

man this a good day we've now discovered like 12 atlanta hockey fans. just need another 19 odd thousand to fill the stadium on a regular basis  :P

man this a good day we've now discovered like 12 atlanta hockey fans. just need another 19 odd thousand to fill the stadium on a regular basis  :P

Is hockey college football? No? Then your average Georgian doesn't care. They like the Bulldogs more than the bloody NFL team here and they couldn't sellout a stadium of the Braves even when they were the best team in the MLB.

Georgia just doens't care about sports.

Leon 'The Final Solution' Draisait (stupid nickname but I think it funny) is the real deal. Damn he has exploded this season. I think Edmonton use the same scouts as NHL14 as they have half of the 5star prospects in that game on their team!

Edited by Spike

Lol and he started the season in the minors I believe....he is a great talent

Must be a southern thing, Florida often doesn't sell out their games

florida should have left years ago and buttman and his lovechild phoenix sorry sorry arizona should have died off before it started. quebec is ready and waiting still, toronto area (hamilton) could support another team easily and i think seattle could work in the future. it did sound like vegas is going to happen sooner rather then later too 

Is a big difference in quality between YT and VLC streams?

It depends on your source. If you manage to find a Django stream on Youtube it will be HD, same with using VLC. Just do whatever is easier. I'm lucky, my brother-in-law has NHL network and lets me use it.

Keith is so damn good, it is unbelievable. It's hard to imagine that he was pretty shit during the regular season (by his standards) last year only to turn it up to 11 in the playoffs.

I hope he can keep it up until he is 40.

Edited by Spike

Was at the Habs game last night, big loss to Gallagher he will be out for a while, but they keep on rolling none the less

Was at the Habs game last night, big loss to Gallagher he will be out for a while, but they keep on rolling none the less

indeed it is, theres gotta be some trades coming with all the names floating around. if you can survive 3 weeks and not miss a beat without the worlds best goalie i think youll be fine. who would you like to see come to montreal? 

indeed it is, theres gotta be some trades coming with all the names floating around. if you can survive 3 weeks and not miss a beat without the worlds best goalie i think youll be fine. who would you like to see come to montreal? 

Not really sure which right wingers are available at the current moment around the league, but news is that Smith Pelly will go play on the top line, and if he struggles I would imagine that Alex Semin will get his chance as he has played many years on Washington’s top line.