SirBalon

Atlético de Madrid Discussion

1,050 posts in this topic

atlc3a9tico-madrid-logo.png

Everything concerning Atlético Madrid, news and debate...

I hope they can keep Simeone next season(if he wins one of the big ones he may feel like he's done his all, but for me he should do a long run there given how he genuinely loves the club). he stays, the players stay and Atletico stay fighting for everything. Makes football better when you have teams challenging for everything and doing it the proper way without this take-over nonsense that everyone is obsessed with these days.

Edited by The Rebel CRS

I hope Atletico win something this season for the way they have impressed as a team and stood up to the giants. I'm rooting for them to win la liga. It would be refreshing to for a change if Spanish football is more than Real and Barcelona. A three horse race la liga is better than two, hope other clubs can also build and follow their example.

let's post here a pic of the current status of the construction of La Peineta stadium.

2014_04_15_Obra_NuevoEstadio_panorama05.

Se entrenaron todos menos Arda

Costa se ejercita con el grupo
1397641620_g_0.jpg
16/04/14 11:47

Diego Costa volvió a entrenarse con sus compañeros en la Ciudad Deportiva de Majadahonda, en la que Diego Simeone ha tenido a todos sus jugadores disponibles excepto el turco Arda Turan.

A few days ago people were fearing he'd miss not only the rest of the season for Atletico, but also the world cup. Then he's back in training a few days later :ninja:

Meh I figured he's be fine he looks tough enough. I've smashed my shins far worse on trees, railing and concrete skateboarding and snowboarding and limped away from it with nothing more than pain, bruises and cuts.

Diego Costa is fast becoming one of my football heroes for so many reasons and his bravery in last weekend's goal is another one to add to the many. But if he would ever move to Chelsea, then that would all end QUICKLY!

I hope they don't lose any players this summer. I trust that Simeone is a pretty smart guy, so he won't be buying much if at all, because buy too much and that could be the end for them. There is a simple reason why Atletico are outpeforming Barcelona and Real Madrid this season. That reason is chemistry. There is a togetherness in that squad, and each player would die for another. If they lose anybody, or if they buy too many people ( or maybe buy a dressing room cancer ) they could very well collapse.

I want to see them do the Liga-Champions League double, and hopefully they can continue being a force in Spanish and European football for years to come. It's healthy for the league, and Atletico competing might actually be for the good of both Barca and Madrid. it would mean that those two have to be consistently at their very best, and any loss of concentration or inconsistency could see them be punished. La Liga could be very, very interesting if Atletico can keep it up.

I hope they don't lose any players this summer.

Not even Sosa, Cebolla, etc? :ninja:

Edited by The Rebel CRS

386106hp2.jpg

Atlético Madrid - Elche Preview: Costa expected to be fit as Rojiblancos look to pull six points clear

The star striker is back in contention after badly cutting his knee during Sunday's win over Getafe, as Diego Simeone's men look to increase their lead at the top of La Liga

Atlético Madrid can steal a march on Real Madrid and Barcelona in their La Liga title bid when strugglers Elche visit on Friday.

Diego Simeone's charges boast an 11-game unbeaten run that has seen them move three points clear at the Spanish top flight's summit. 

They also moved into the Champions League semi-final at Barca's expense, with the Liga titleholders not in action until Sunday and Madrid playing Vallodolid the day before. 

It gives Atlético an opportunity to extend their lead to six points in the first of five remaining games, with Simeone stating recently: "There are five finals to go, and we'll play them as such."

While Elche are unlikely to spring a surprise, having won just twice away from home in the league all season, forward Adrian Lopez is not taking anything for granted against Fran Escriba's men, and echoed his coach's rhetoric.

"We have to carry on like this, knowing that all the matches left are all finals. We'll play as if it were a final and try to end the season well," he said.

"The match against Elche is not going to be easy. We know they have a lot at stake and it’s going to be very complicated.

"Every match is complicated because all the teams have something at stake. Whether it is to get into Europe, or to avoid relegation. Every rival, every match is very difficult."

Atlético, who are expected to have leading goalscorer Diego Costa available for selection despite suffering a gashed knee during Sunday's win over Getafe, have won their last seven league games and will be heavy favourites to bolster their title ambitions against an Elche side who will have one eye on the relegation battle beneath them. 

Four points clear of 18th-placed Getafe in 15th, Elche are well-placed to avoid an immediate return to the second tier.

While Escriba is taking nothing for granted when it comes to keeping the club in La Liga, he was buoyed by their performance in Sunday's 2-1 defeat to Valencia.

"We have five games to go but if we keep on this path we will be close to our target," he said.

"In this league we can only think about the next game. Nobody knows how many points will be needed for safety."

Edited by SirBalon

That's exactly what determination and courage brings!

1397674455_extras_noticia_foton_7_2.jpg

Courtois to stay at Atlético until 2016?

Speaking in the mixed zone following the Champions League clash against Barcelona at the Camp Nou, Courtois revealed that an agreement was close.

The clause in Thibaut Courtois' current loan deal that briefly threatened to prevent him playing against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals is by no means the be-all and end-all of the issue. On the contrary, the bigger picture has to do with Courtois' future and Atlético's desire to prolong the Belgian's stay at the Calderón.

Speaking in the mixed zone following the Champions League clash against Barcelona at the Camp Nou, Courtois revealed that an agreement was close. Indeed, the goalkeeper went as far as to say that he hoped to be able to confirm where he would be spending next year within a week's time.

Before the eruption of the furore over the loan clause, Courtois and Chelsea had verbally agreed terms on a new contract, with the 21-year-old poised to extend his present deal - which expires in 2016 - until 2019.

Interestingly, this deal also provides for the possibility of Courtois staying at Atlético for the next two years. This would allow the Belgian to keep playing regular football, while ensuring Diego Simeone would get his wish of being able to carry on calling on Courtois - one of the top goalies in world football and a linchpin of the current 'Rojiblancos' side - until 2016.

If this situation does come to pass, José Mourinho will continue to stick by Petr Cech as the Chelsea number 1 for the next two seasons, paving the way for Courtois to establish himself as the first choice at Stamford Bridge at the age of 23.

http://www.marca.com/2014/04/16/en/football/spanish_football/1397674455.html

Edited by SirBalon

It looks like he will be playing...  Diego Simeone was asked that exact question right now after the game Atlético Madrid played against Elche by the press in the post match conference and he said this: "Courtois is playing because he is the first team keeper and unless someone tells me he's not allowed to play, I'm picking him to play against Chelsea".  Diego Simeone doesn't play diplomacy and Atlético would be mad not to play him as it's not everyday you get into the Champions League semi-final.  Atleti pay his wages, and he plays for Atlético Madrid.

Edited by SirBalon

He's from belgium- didn't no that- so who will be first choice at the world cup- him or filet mignon- thats just my name for liverpools goalkeeper.

He's from belgium- didn't no that- so who will be first choice at the world cup- him or filet mignon- thats just my name for liverpools goalkeeper.

out of curiousity where did you think he was from? 

surely with a name like Thibaut Courtois you'd have thought he was from a french speaking country so i hope you had France otherwise i'd be dissapointed. 

I knew Lloris was frances keeper. so I didn't think he was french otherwise I thought he would be first choice. I didnt give much thought about where he came from to be honest. Today with globalization you can have any name and come from anywhere. I thought he might have been from bulgeria or romania based on his appearance. 

1397674455_extras_noticia_foton_7_2.jpg

I like the "filet-mignon" bit! :lol: as to your question as to who will be first team keeper for Belgium, well I don't think you'll get good odds at the betting office for this one. By a country mile and triple that, it will indeed be Courtois.

It looks like he will be playing...  Diego Simeone was asked that exact question right now after the game Atlético Madrid played against Elche by the press in the post match conference and he said this: "Courtois is playing because he is the first team keeper and unless someone tells me he's not allowed to play, I'm picking him to play against Chelsea".  Diego Simeone doesn't play diplomacy and Atlético would be mad not to play him as it's not everyday you get into the Champions League semi-final.  Atleti pay his wages, and he plays for Atlético Madrid.

Just like I predicted.  B)

out of curiousity where did you think he was from? 

surely with a name like Thibaut Courtois you'd have thought he was from a french speaking country so i hope you had France otherwise i'd be dissapointed. 

Oh. He is from the flemish region, actually.  :thumbup:

On Atletico's badge, it looks like a wolf is having a piss  up a tree :ninja:. I never noticed that before.

On Atletico's badge, it looks like a wolf is having a piss  up a tree :ninja:. I never noticed that before.

It's a bear!...  That's the coat of arms of the city of Madrid!!! ;)

Yeah Spanish badges are great in my opinion. All of them tell a very unique story(apart from the royalist clubs :ninja:) and you need to look at them in in enlarged images like that to truly see the details.

Yeah the meaning of that always puzzled me. I thought it had something to do with atlectico finding it difficult to reach the top or unable to reach the heights of Real or something. 

I like the "filet-mignon" bit! :lol:

Yea that kinnear guy has caused an epidemic.

A few days ago the head of Atletico said that he is a gentleman and respects private agreements between clubs, so unless an agreement was reached with Chelsea, Courtois should not play. It's morally wrong and I do not think he will play unless an agreement takes place between Atletico and Chelsea.

What percentage of his total wages does he get from atletico and what form chelsea? 

A few days ago the head of Atletico said that he is a gentleman and respects private agreements between clubs, so unless an agreement was reached with Chelsea, Courtois should not play. It's morally wrong and I do not think he will play unless an agreement takes place between Atletico and Chelsea.

In my opinion, morally wrong is that kind of clause. FIFA should forbid it. If you loan a player that means you didn't want him at your club. If Chelsea didn't want Courtois to play against them it was simple, they should've just kept him. Just my two cents. :)

In my opinion, morally wrong is that kind of clause. FIFA should forbid it. If you loan a player that means you didn't want him at your club. If Chelsea didn't want Courtois to play against them it was simple, they should've just kept him. Just my two cents. :)

I think if they didn't want him, they would have sold him to you already. In my opinion they are just loaning him to a top club until he becomes better and world class so he can replace Cech. Otherwise he would rot in bench at Chelsea. If Atletico didn't like the terms, they never should have signed him on loan. I am pretty sure more clubs would be willing to have Courtois.

And It doesn't matter what the clause, a clause is a clause so ignoring it disrespects the contract between the teams. I see your point of view as an Atleti fan and why should he play, and I would have the same stance with you, but as a neutral this is my opinion. I hope you can reach an agreement at last and he can play, to make this tie more interesting.

I think if they didn't want him, they would have sold him to you already. In my opinion they are just loaning him to a top club until he becomes better and world class so he can replace Cech. Otherwise he would rot in bench at Chelsea. If Atletico didn't like the terms, they never should have signed him on loan. I am pretty sure more clubs would be willing to have Courtois.

And It doesn't matter what the clause, a clause is a clause so ignoring it disrespects the contract between the teams. I see your point of view as an Atleti fan and why should he play, and I would have the same stance with you, but as a neutral this is my opinion. I hope you can reach an agreement at last and he can play, to make this tie more interesting.

I'm a neutral as well, Dolfa. It's just that I've always hated this kind of clause. Courtois will probably end up never playing for Chelsea. I don't think he wants to and these days when a player doesn't want to play for a team they do not. They're much more powerful, especially after the Bosman case.

I'm a neutral as well, Dolfa. It's just that I've always hated this kind of clause. Courtois will probably end up never playing for Chelsea. I don't think he wants to and these days when a player doesn't want to play for a team they do not. They're much more powerful, especially after the Bosman case.

I am not sure if we had the same clause with Nuri Sahin but last year he was included in the match squad against us but did not play in both games, and this year he played both games..its just that Madrid are a respectable club and did not make a big deal out of it and given the injuries BVB had it would be embarassing to forbid Sahin from playing to say the least.

Chelsea know that Courtois is a very important player for Atletico and they're just trying to use the clause to their advantage. Even with UEFA allowing him to play, Atletico know there will be consequences if they play him without permission.

My overall opinion is he should play, he's a great keeper and if Chelsea really want him to gain experience he shouldn't sit out a Champions League Semi Final.

All I can take from your comment my friend is that for some reason you want it to be as you say. You're hoping! But "El Cholo" couldn't give a flying shit about "gentlemen". He's a man! His own man!

I don't know whether he wants to play for Chelsea or not. Would the whole of Spain do know and he has made public on a number of occasions is the he is extremely happy in Spain and especially at Atlético. But his wish overall is to stay in Spain because the woman he's going to marry is Spanish and apparently she hates London life (she studied there). And we all know the power of the woman! (I hope nobody takes that the wrong way because it's true :lol:). If he has to go to Chelsea, he'll go without a doubt! But he doesn't want to and I have to add that he's told Atlético Madrid to fix it as they want, but he demands to play that semi final and he's willing to start a war against whoever to play in it. Edited by SirBalon

Even though he belongs to Chelsea, Atletico pay his wages!

Doesn't matter, if there is anything in the contract stating he can't play, Atletico should honor their signature. Unethical if he plays if no agreement is reached.

Edited by Cicero

How have Athletico Madrid  got to where they are now?  Have they had heavy investment or are just a well organised well managed club?

You could've just asked this in the Atletico Madrid thread without needing to start a new thread because you wanted an answer to a random question.

How have Athletico Madrid  got to where they are now?  Have they had heavy investment or are just a well organised well managed club?

No. In fact, they have financial problems, that Kzurro can inform you better about.

You could've just asked this in the Atletico Madrid thread without needing to start a new thread because you wanted an answer to a random question.

Point taken :D

Courtois, loan

Juanfran, 4.5 million(euros)

Godin, 8 million(euros)

Miranda, 8 million(euros) or so SirBalon said the other day.

Filipe, 13 million(euros)

Gabi, youth system, was sold then bought back for 3 million(euros)

Tiago, free(I think)

Koke, youth system

Turan, 12 million(euros)

Diego Costa, 1.5 million(euros)

David Villa, 5 million(euros)

Raul Garcia, 13 million(euros)

Diego, loan(but will be available free in the summer due to his contract)

Adrian, free

Mario Suarez, youth system, sold to Mallorca then bought back cheap

Toby Alderweireld, 7 million(euros)

Cristian Rodríguez, free

Emiliano Insúa, 3.5 million(euros)

Manquillo, youth system.

Sosa, loan

They have future players coming back from loan who could have bright futures also, Baptistao(7 million), Saul(youth system), Oliver(youth system), Guilavogui(10 million).

Edited by The Rebel CRS

Villa for €5mil with the reputation he already had was a steal. If only he was willing to go abroad he could've be ours.