2,036 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I've never thought Costa's ability with the ball wasnt all that great to be honest. Always looks clumsy to me?!  Ive always thought his best assets are his work rate and his ability to be in the right place at the right time to finish a move. His heading ability isn't great, his temperament is awful etc etc

There are plenty of strikers out there better than Diego Costa in my opinion. 

The runs he makes as well as his finishing are top notch. 

But other than that, there really isn't anything else that stands our about his game. 

It's strange though. His first season with us in 2015, he had a technical element to his game that has completely vanished as the years progressed. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I've never thought Costa's ability with the ball wasnt all that great to be honest. Always looks clumsy to me?!  Ive always thought his best assets are his work rate and his ability to be in the right place at the right time to finish a move. His heading ability isn't great, his temperament is awful etc etc

There are plenty of strikers out there better than Diego Costa in my opinion. 

I don't like him but in the right team playing the right system Diego Costa is lethal mate. Infact with all the right planets aligned there are few as lethal in my view. 

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I don't like him but in the right team playing the right system Diego Costa is lethal mate. Infact with all the right planets aligned there are few as lethal in my view. 

He's only had two (I can remember?) really really good seasons though hasnt he? 1 for Atletico and 1 with Chelsea. The others have been so so. 

He can be equally frustrating as brilliant. More so the latter this season. 

He has been off his game since the days that the China link was mentioned. He did score against Hull but overall he isn't the Costa from the start of the season. Again i am certain this will be his last Chelsea season regardless of the title run, his head is not in it. On his day he is unplayable and scores from almost every chance he or his team mates create. He made 104 appearances and scored 52 goals his record speaks for itself, will we be able to find another deadly striker as him it is yet to see. 

Gonna be a busy summer.

17 minutes ago, True Blue said:

He has been off his game since the days that the China link was mentioned. He did score against Hull but overall he isn't the Costa from the start of the season. Again i am certain this will be his last Chelsea season regardless of the title run, his head is not in it. On his day he is unplayable and scores from almost every chance he or his team mates create. He made 104 appearances and scored 52 goals his record speaks for itself, will we be able to find another deadly striker as him it is yet to see. 

Gonna be a busy summer.

Like I've said in the past, "never say never in football". But all that China talk is rubbish mate! That hasn't turned his head because even though he's Brazilian (the susceptibility to these things), he wants to do something in his career and everyone that's played with him at Rayo Vallecano and Atlético Madrid have said so.

Whatever has marked his slight downturn in form has more to do with internal wranglings at Chelsea FC than anything from the exterior.

The only place he would love to go to if possible is Atlético Madrid and he has never made any secret about that. 

He's up and around the best strikers in the world currently, good finisher, hard worker, big presence, good on the counter, a pest for defenders so to speak. Very good record as TB points out.

His hold up play is good enough when he's playing well and partly that's because he makes up for it in another parts of his game, like scoring goals. In the last title winning season (under Mourinho) he was only very good for the first half of the season, last season the second half (under Hiddink), this season he's been our player of the season up to 2017. So another half who knows? This was my worry with him. His hold up play is dreadful when he isn't on it, maybe it's a confidence thing who knows but we've never really had a striker who's been very good in that department, Drogba's was never that good for what he was, Torres' is hilarious. The last striker whose hold up play I was impressed with was Eto'o's who perhaps goes under the radar a bit as I thought he was very good for us indeed.

He also began to be very selfish recently, dribbling players when he has clear openings to pass. I mean i understand he wants the goal but it is a team game and teams win.

Yeah, forgot to add. 

The last few games, he's been holding onto the ball for too long or taking the wrong option in attack.

Edited by carefreeluke

Conte said he is happy and expects him to stay. 

Really no need to keep him if his head isn't on straight. Just pray we don't go for Lukaku as a replacement. 

As Cicero stated no need for unhappy players, it reflects the entire team. We will probably get big money for him, and i can really see us going for Lukaku. I was probably his biggest fan since day one, he did so well on his loans and i fully expected him to be our starting striker. Jose didn't feel the same and after the Super Cup final it was all over for him. I think he could do a decent job for us but not as decent as Costa does.

Even though there are many tomatoes in a basket, when mixed with a rotten one, all will rot too.

Regardless of how we finish this season, we need some good recruitment in the summer. 

The Champions League being back has reminded me of some of the quality in Europe and how we're not close to that level.

Edited by carefreeluke

37 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Regardless of how we finish this season, we need some good recruitment in the summer. 

The Champions League being back has reminded me of some of the quality in Europe and how we're not close to that level.

Down to the board. Conte gave them his targets last summer and they low balled every one of them until we ended up not getting any of them, bar Kante. 

Hope they don't make the same mistake three years in a row now. 

A LWB, RWB, CM, are a necessity. 

Apparently Solanke has refused a new contract offer from you lot and is set to join us with us having to pay an £8m tribunal fee? 

35 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Apparently Solanke has refused a new contract offer from you lot and is set to join us with us having to pay an £8m tribunal fee? 

He wanted 50k per week apparently and made one single appearance for the first team :lols:, talented kids in football get so easily ruined with money. 

Edited by True Blue

47 minutes ago, True Blue said:

He wanted 50k per week apparently and made one single appearance for the first team :lols:, talented kids in football get so easily ruined with money. 

He'll not get £50k at Liverpool that is a fact. Only thing we can offer him what Chelsea won't is a chance. 

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

He'll not get £50k at Liverpool that is a fact. Only thing we can offer him what Chelsea won't is a chance. 

I can't see him getting 50k anywhere, i also think Tammy will get a chance before him as he will obviously leave.

5 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, and Aina are getting more minutes under Conte in a single season then they would in 10 under Mourinho. 

God. I remember his 'Youth Days'. Where Loftus-Cheek and Solanke made a 5 minute cameo in the 87th minute in an already qualified Champions League match. :lols:

20 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, and Aina are getting more minutes under Conte in a single season then they would in 10 under Mourinho. 

God. I remember his 'Youth Days'. Where Loftus-Cheek and Solanke made a 5 minute cameo in the 87th minute in an already qualified Champions League match. :lols:

Wasn't that against Sporting Lisbon at the Bridge? :lols:

Watching the FA Cup game against Wolves and Victor Moses.

Moses has had a decent season so far.

However, the thing with him is the fact that you feel he's only capable of a certain level and type of performance and regardless of how this season finishes, you feel we need better quality come the start of next season. The first few months of the new system he was lauded (and rightly so) but the amount of time and space he was given in attack during that period benefited him greatly (space which has now been reduced as with time, more teams have clocked onto the way we play), not forgetting this wing back role plays on his strengths massively as well. He isn't a problem or weakness so to speak but you always feel like we could better him. As mentioned the role plays on his strengths, it allows him to often get one on one with defenders, it's a physically demanding role, (up and down) which plays nicely on his strong physical attributes and defensively he performs relatively well but with a lot of good defensive players in and around him. Furthermore, this system has been drilled and drilled into the players by Conte which helps, the players know their roles and know what's expected from them. A good collective like that can help players' performances, can sometimes make up for their weaknesses and in some ways hide a player's true level and ability. Whilst I am not suggesting this is solely the case with Moses, don’t get me wrong, I like Moses, he’s having a good season and this is a player that even before this season has always put in a good shift for Chelsea but you do feel we are getting all we can from him (which is great thing in itself) but to compete next season in Europe, you feel we’ll need more quality there.

He’s very direct, always looks to beat a man and players who play like this tend to always have some output because they are brave and take the initiative. I would not want to take this out of his game, I like that he does it but in some ways, this is his downfall (not because he may lose the ball) but because he doesn’t necessarily know anything else, he lacks the composure and intelligence to pick the right pass and cross. He plays quickly on the ball, he goes for the throat of his opponent but while he does that he tends to sometimes miss the bigger picture for the cross or pass, a lot of the time he doesn’t have that last bit of quality, intelligence or grace to his play.

I wouldn't mind him playing there again next season but there's always been that thought all season that we could better both full backs.

Edited by carefreeluke

Felt he was one of the best yesterday, he beats his man but his crosses were mostly blocked and going for a corner. He is a good team player rarely takes a shot and usually tries to assist, and as said he is having a good season. He is strong fast and the wing back is probably the ideal position for him, doubt we will be able to improve very much on his position. Saying this he needs back up, he can't play the entire next season with the league, two cups and Europe. It will be a different story and Conte won't be able to play the same starting 11 for 10 games in a row with mid week games. I have zero clue who could possibly replace him or be added as competition. 

Nelson Semedo

Chelsea are set to offer £70m for #ASMonaco midfielder Bernardo Silva. (Times) #CFC

Incredible if true. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Chelsea are set to offer £70m for #ASMonaco midfielder Bernardo Silva. (Times) #CFC

Incredible if true. 

He has been very good for Monaco this season but I don't see why Chelsea need to spend so much on another player as they have so so many good midfielders who could do a very good job for them.

We lost 7-0 to Monaco in the Coupe de la Ligue... it was horrible.

9 minutes ago, Rouenrouge said:

He has been very good for Monaco this season but I don't see why Chelsea need to spend so much on another player as they have so so many good midfielders who could do a very good job for them.

We lost 7-0 to Monaco in the Coupe de la Ligue... it was horrible.

We just got 60mill on Oscar...so the funds are there. 

And what midfielders? Neither Pedro nor Willian, offer any kind of creativity that Silva does. 

53 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We just got 60mill on Oscar...so the funds are there. 

And what midfielders? Neither Pedro nor Willian, offer any kind of creativity that Silva does. 

I had presumed there were others available to play on the right side. Victor Moses for example. Also wasn't aware you're using a 3-4-3 formation under Conte.

£70 million seems excessive to me though. Potentially that high to ensure his signature rather than risk it. Manchester United and Tottenham are also in the runnings in England. Mind you he's very young and could be one of the best in the world in a couple of years.

Edited by Rouenrouge

6 minutes ago, Rouenrouge said:

I had presumed there were others available to play on the right side. Victor Moses for example. Also wasn't aware you're using a 3-4-3 formation under Conte.

£70 million seems excessive to me though. Potentially that high to ensure his signature rather than risk it. Manchester United and Tottenham are also in the runnings in England. Mind you he's very young and could be one of the best in the world in a couple of years.

Moses is very direct. That's it. At RWB he excels because it hides his flaws as he's very limited as an attacking winger. 

And that is exactly why we opened up the preliminary negotiations. We have the funds from the Oscar transfer. Real and Barca are interested but that would be career suicide given the competition in his role. Doubt Spurs will pay that much United would be the only other destination, but the likely hood of them being in the Champions League next season is very little. 

It all points to us at the moment and I hope it's true, considering after the profit from Oscar we would only be spending a little over 10 mill. 

Hazard, Silva, Pedro, and Willian for next season would be terrific. 

Some interesting rumors going about that Conte has accepted to manage Inter Milan next season. 

Some are saying it's fake news and denied it, however, there are some who are led to believe there is some truth in it as he is leveraging the fact he wants full say on transfers. 

Can't blame him and agree with him 100%. If he were to sign a new deal, Abramovich and his 'football experts' need to step back and give him full control on who comes in and who goes out. 

Happy to read today Victor Moses has signed a contract extension today. He has performed at a very good standard throughout the season in a position which has proved key to the success of the team once we moved to 3 at the back. Both times I have met him, before this season, he stressed he wanted a chance at the club. Real happy for him as he strikes me as a decent guy. 

On 3/1/2017 at 8:34 PM, justme said:

Happy to read today Victor Moses has signed a contract extension today. He has performed at a very good standard throughout the season in a position which has proved key to the success of the team once we moved to 3 at the back. Both times I have met him, before this season, he stressed he wanted a chance at the club. Real happy for him as he strikes me as a decent guy. 

Moses has been like a new signing for Chelsea. I always thought he has bag of potential since his Wigan. I was happy when Liverpool took him on loan buut for some reason Brendan never gave him a chance. So happy for him that he found his position under Conte