roversgirl

Rudy Rudy Rudy Rudy!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,671 posts
  • Joined 20-June 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Can Spurs get back to winning ways against the Saints?

#2 SirBalon

SirBalon

Nature is Art

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,414 posts
  • Joined 18-December 13
  • Favourites:Maradona, Henry, Messi, Bergkamp, Iniesta
  • Country Flag

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Spurs will have a hard task getting anything out of this game... Infact Sherwood will have a difficult job lifting his side to believe this is anything other than a ver hard game.  You have to question the leadership in this Tottenham Hotspur side!  I go for a Southampton win in this one.

#3 Mel81x

Mel81x

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
  • Favourites:Marco Van Basten, Clarence Seedorf, Gheorghe Hagi
  • Country Flag

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Southampton win this one. I can't see Spurs holding up against that fast-paced attack style.

#4 Storts

Storts

To Dare is to Do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined 04-November 07
  • Favourites:Gareth Bale
  • Country Flag

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Can only see a Tottenham win here.

We're in wonderful form, have a young bright English manager with a big future in the game and a team that just want play for the football club. Such desire and passion from every single one of them, so committed and Southampton won't be able to get near us with their unorganised football and clueless manager that can't even speak English.

4-0 Tottenham at the minimum but possibly a few more to continue our quest for the title. 

#5 Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo

Arg. I'm a pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05
  • Favourites:Robbie Fowler
  • Country Flag

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Can only see a Tottenham win here.

We're in wonderful form, have a young bright English manager with a big future in the game and a team that just want play for the football club. Such desire and passion from every single one of them, so committed and Southampton won't be able to get near us with their unorganised football and clueless manager that can't even speak English.

4-0 Tottenham at the minimum but possibly a few more to continue our quest for the title. 

:lol: I've still made a 180 on my view on Sherwood and now I am in agreement with you that he's definitely not the man for the job, but I still think you've got more than a fighting chance of getting the three points here. But Southampton play some very, very good stuff and have an excellent midfield and attack and Pochettino is a good manager. Would you take him in the summer over Sherwood? He's young and plays attractive football and he's doing well at Southampton, he certainly seems a million times less naive than Sherwood and a billion times more tactically aware.

#6 Storts

Storts

To Dare is to Do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined 04-November 07
  • Country Flag

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

:lol: I've still made a 180 on my view on Sherwood and now I am in agreement with you that he's definitely not the man for the job, but I still think you've got more than a fighting chance of getting the three points here. But Southampton play some very, very good stuff and have an excellent midfield and attack and Pochettino is a good manager. Would you take him in the summer over Sherwood? He's young and plays attractive football and he's doing well at Southampton, he certainly seems a million times less naive than Sherwood and a billion times more tactically aware.

Yeah, I mean we've been picking up points all season, under AVB and Tim, not because there's any plan or coherent play, but simply because we have better players than the majority of the league and they can't be poor every week. It's just against the real top teams that we get completely destroyed. Southampton are good side yeah, will be a tough game, to be honest I think it will probably be a draw because we're not particularly great at home and they are far more organised than us.

Would definitely take Pochettino, although I'd still be wary. We've gone down that route before, in fact scrap all that I was about to say, we've gone down pretty much every route with our managers and none of them have been successful. The man I want is LVG, he'd be a massive coup, but beyond that, definitely take Pochettino over Sherwood.

#7 Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo

Arg. I'm a pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05
  • Favourites:Robbie Fowler
  • Country Flag

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

I think Pochettino would be a good fit at Spurs, but yeah you can't say no to a manager the pedigree of LVG.

#8 adi B

adi B

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Joined 10-December 12
  • Favourites:giggs,janujaz,beckham,vds,vidic,gotze,alaba
  • Country Flag

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

spurs have a tough gam against benfica before this game,that trip might tire them quite a bit.i think this one will end in a 2-2 draw

#9 ASF

ASF

Squad Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,641 posts
  • Joined 10-March 07
  • Favourites:Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Jorge Costa, Falcao, Hulk
  • Country Flag

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Tottenham 1-1 Southampton

#10 Andys Johnson

Andys Johnson

TFF's only Palace fan.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Joined 25-August 06
  • Favourites:Julian Speroni Andy Johnson
  • Country Flag

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Southampton looked pretty convincing last weekend, and Dims honeymoon period is well and truly over. Hoping for a Southampton win to give Lallana and co more belief going in to the World Cup, and to hopefully speed up the process in making Tim Sherwood learn his managerial trade in a lower division.

#11 HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee

First Team

• Banned
  • 5,715 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13
  • Country Flag

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

Think the saints will win comfortably. 2-0

#12 Vestan Pance

Vestan Pance

It's like that......

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Joined 04-June 13
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, I mean we've been picking up points all season, under AVB and Tim, not because there's any plan or coherent play, but simply because we have better players than the majority of the league and they can't be poor every week. It's just against the real top teams that we get completely destroyed. Southampton are good side yeah, will be a tough game, to be honest I think it will probably be a draw because we're not particularly great at home and they are far more organised than us.

Would definitely take Pochettino, although I'd still be wary. We've gone down that route before, in fact scrap all that I was about to say, we've gone down pretty much every route with our managers and none of them have been successful. The man I want is LVG, he'd be a massive coup, but beyond that, definitely take Pochettino over Sherwood.

spot on that mate, my thoughts exactly, spurs have disappointed this season, I really fancied them to put in a good challenge and be in the kind of position Liverpool are in right now but they've consistently fell down when it comes to facing quality sides.

I don't rate Sherwood, in particular his public slating of the team is questionable at best although a few players have responded but its not enough. pochettino at spurs? I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this now his mate has left Southampton.

todays game I fancy a score draw, maybe a 2-2 although sometimes Southampton inexplicably fail to turn up on occasion.

#13 LFCMadLad

LFCMadLad

Brendan Shankly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,931 posts
  • Joined 16-September 07
  • Favourites:Gerrard, Carra, Alonso, Coutinhooooooo
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Spurs getting absolutely destroyed by Southampton here. They look fantastic going forward, Spurs have no answer.

#14 FOYM

FOYM

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts
  • Joined 30-March 11
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

No clue what that linesman was playing at there, definite pull on Lovren in the build up.

#15 Evil Receptionist

Evil Receptionist

We can do it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Joined 18-May 13
  • Favourites:Jimmy Greaves, Glenn Hoddle, Danny Blanchflower
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

The joys of supporting a club in a state of disarray.

#16 FourSix

FourSix

I am Chilean now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,079 posts
  • Joined 24-October 10
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

A point behind Everton with Everton having 2 games in hand if Tottenham lose this.

#17 efc1878

efc1878

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Joined 09-April 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

No clue what that linesman was playing at there, definite pull on Lovren in the build up.

Don't think it was a foul. It was also offside for Southampton's second goal. Bullshit that rule. Naughton shouldn't have had to have gone over to it as there were 3 players stood in an offside position. Sometimes they flag, sometimes they don't. Needs to be more consistency.

Southampton have been brilliant though apart from the error from Clyne.

#18 FourSix

FourSix

I am Chilean now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,079 posts
  • Joined 24-October 10
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Eriksen is quality, I have to admit that.

Oh fuck, Tottenham just made it 3-2 in the 90th minute.

Edited by Flamaxi, 23 March 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#19 HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee

First Team

• Banned
  • 5,715 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Damn Saints, couldn't hold on for 1 more minute

#20 Shut up

Shut up

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts
  • Joined 01-January 11
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

Southampton are a liability defensively. 

The two goals that got spurs back into were a joke.

#21 Lucas

Lucas

Sexy Leeds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts
  • Joined 09-March 10
  • Favourites:Lucas Radebe, Tony Yeboah, Lee Bowyer, Gary Speed, Nigel Martyn
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Southampton threw away three points there. Really shocking from them.

2-0 up and cruising. They were set. Unfortunately they lost the game through shambolic defending and the lack of Schneiderlin in the middle of the park to compose things when it needed.

Credit to Spurs for raising the intensity and pressure on Saints second half. Literally had them pinned back for the majority of it.

#22 Vestan Pance

Vestan Pance

It's like that......

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Joined 04-June 13
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

todays game I fancy a score draw, maybe a 2-2 although sometimes Southampton inexplicably fail to turn up on occasion.

kin ell! last minute goals have cost me this weekend, Swansea, Newcastle and now spurs ffs!

#23 efc1878

efc1878

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Joined 09-April 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Shambolic defending from both sides. Clyne's mistake was suicidal though. You're cruising at 0-2, bossing the game and then he does that. Far too many defenders try and put their foot on the ball instead of through it in risky situations these days.

#24 Mel81x

Mel81x

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Joined 20-September 11
  • Favourites:Marco Van Basten, Clarence Seedorf, Gheorghe Hagi
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Shambolic defending from both sides. Clyne's mistake was suicidal though. You're cruising at 0-2, bossing the game and then he does that. Far too many defenders try and put their foot on the ball instead of through it in risky situations these days.

It's their philosophy of possession even in dire circumstances. I agree that when you're up there shouldn't be a second thought about punting it out even if it means the opposition get it back. After watching the first half I thought Southampton were going to come out in the second and finish the game off with another goal. Credit to Eriksen because once he got his two goals his entire game changed and Soldado actually played quite well today.

#25 Storts

Storts

To Dare is to Do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined 04-November 07
  • Country Flag

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

Nearly didn't bother posting but wouldn't want people thinking I only go into detail when we lose.

Good win today, in the end, but we got away with one I feel and on another day we'd have had absolutely no chance of getting back into the game. They were springing from midfield very quickly, and we were extremely fortunate not to be caught out over the top on more occasions than we were. Lallana, J-Rod and Lambert have a great understanding and Ward-Prowse was excellent I thought. Another potential England player in a few years if his progression continues.

However, their goals came because we have probably the worst full back pairing in the league playing right now. Seriously can't think of any worse than the two pub players at right and left back. Naughton's two errors for the goals were unforgivable. Do not let the ball bounce from a goal kick, and then for the second goal I really don't know what he is trying to do. Thankfully they haven't mattered in the end, but at our level you just can't perform like that. Naughton isn't even my biggest concern at the position though. At least Naughton looks like he cares and tries to make amends. Danny Rose is useless. Doesn't offer anything defensively or offensively, doesn't seem to care at all and is the biggest weak link in our side. He mouths of regularly to the media that if we sign another left back that he'll have to consider his options, but if he had actually performed at even an average level we wouldn't need to. The position is yours to lose and right now he is losing it.

The positives today were obviously Eriksen, who gave one of the performances he's capable of and raises the excitement levels for the future, and Soldado who had a superb game linking up with Christian. Eriksen played great floating off Soldado, scored twice, set up another, and proves why he was our best business from the summer. I am hoping next year we build the team around him because he's got all the ability in the world and is the future of this club. Well that is until he has a great season and Levy flogs him to Madrid. I feel a front three of him, Lamela and Chadli/An other could be very successful next season. Soldado's link up play has been good all season, but today, with Ade out, his enthusiasm and commitment was back, chasing down every ball, playing some beautiful touches, and making life miserable for Southampton's centre halves. It's a shame he couldn't get a goal, Chadli and Eriksen should have assisted him, but he was very good. Those who have been praising Lovren and wanting to sign him in the summer could be in for a shock because I thought he was diabolical today. Soldado gave him the run around and he was mildly at fault for two of our goals. 

Other decent performances came from Chadli, Siggy and Kaboul and overall we can't have too many complaints with the results, particularly because we absolutely dominated the second half and missed a few glorious opportunities before Siggy's winner. 

I think Tim got it very wrong at the start, he was out coached, but thankfully the changes made a difference. This doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, the season is over but at least we should finish above Southampton now.

Back down to earth next week with a 5-0 defeat at Liverpool, probably with a man sent off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users