8 replies to this topic

#1 StanLCFC

StanLCFC

Provehito in Altum

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,991 posts
  • Joined 10-March 10
  • Favourites:Heskey, Izzet, Messi, Iniesta.
  • Country Flag

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Good news for other play-off rivals. Seems like they're struggling for options to replace him, too.

http://www1.skysport.../11741/8546238?

Brighton & Hove Albion striker Craig Mackail-Smith has been ruled out for the rest of the season.

Mackail-Smith suffered an Achilles injury against Bristol City on Tuesday night and will undergo surgery early next week.

Manager Gus Poyet had already lost fellow forward Will Hoskins to a knee injury and is now preparing to dip into the loan market for attacking reinforcements.

"We have two weeks of the loan window left and we cannot afford to finish the season with just two strikers," he said.

"We are still there or thereabouts and there are options, but it's complicated.

"We have lost Macca so we'll see first if we can get that 'in-behind' option, which is needed. If not, then the player might depend on the way that we are playing or the teams we're playing against.

"Every player we are looking at is different and in a different situation. Some are not playing because others are playing better, some because they are coming back from injury and some because they are too expensive.

"None are the same and we cannot just get anyone, so we'll keep working."

#2 The Foxes

The Foxes

One Nigel Pearson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,924 posts
  • Joined 05-February 12
  • Favourites:Knockaert, Vardy, Mahrez
  • Country Flag

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'd say good news for us but it'd be a real poor show if we were to see this as a big positive really. Shame to hear that.

#3 Stef

Stef

Kept the Faith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,703 posts
  • Joined 18-June 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Well, that couldn't have come at a better time.

I never like to wish injury on another player, but my gosh, this is excellent news.

#4 FFS Murray

FFS Murray

TFF's only Palace fan.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,564 posts
  • Joined 25-August 06
  • Favourites:Jules Delaney Ward Jedi Bolasie Chamakh Murray
  • Country Flag

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well, that couldn't have come at a better time. I never like to wish injury on another player, but my gosh, this is excellent news.

It's deceptive to look at the gap - look at the likely total points needed. Bolton are on 51, 72 will generally get you into the playoffs. 21 points from a possible 30 would be a hell of a run, particularly on the back of what you have done recently.

#5 Stef

Stef

Kept the Faith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,703 posts
  • Joined 18-June 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

It's deceptive to look at the gap - look at the likely total points needed. Bolton are on 51, 72 will generally get you into the playoffs. 21 points from a possible 30 would be a hell of a run, particularly on the back of what you have done recently.

I don't see why this side in this form can't do that.

Brighton (H)

Ipswich (A)

Charlton (A) Huddersfield (H)

Wolves (H) Bristol City (A)

Leicester (A)

Middlesbrough (H)

Cardiff (A)

Blackpool (H)  

There are a couple of potential banana skins there, but a run of five games against very average sides followed by the possibility of nicking a couple of points against Cardiff (who should have wrapped the title up by then), Boro and Leicester could bode very well. I count a very possible 20 points there. Of games against other sides who are likely to be promoted / well in the hunt (everyone down to Leeds in tenth, in my opinion), Bolton have four against the other promotion hopefuls. Brighton have six, Forest have five, Leicester have six, Boro have four, Leeds have the 'easiest' run with three. But, one game at a time.

The defence looks a lot tighter now, up top there does seem to be some actual confidence, and the midfield are looking more creative than ever this season (and they have largely impressed me). I seem to remember 'The Foxes' making a rather large assertion that Bolton wouldn't finish in the playoffs. Wouldn't it be a laugh to see him make true on his promise? :D (i'll find it when I can be arsed, not at 2am :| )

*Edit - Found it!  

If Bolton make the top six I will chop off my own bollocks and post them on this site.

Golly.

Edited by Stef, 08 March 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#6 Storts

Storts

To Dare is to Do

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,681 posts
  • Joined 04-November 07
  • Favourites:Gareth Bale
  • Country Flag

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

It's not actually that much of a loss as people seem to be making out.

My colleague at work is a Brighton fan, he doesn't really like him in the starting line up, work horse that often lacks in quality. He hasn't been playing too much recently and Ulloa that new lad seems to have hit the ground running. 

#7 Bluebird Hewitt

Bluebird Hewitt

TFF's Resident Sheepshagger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

@Stef. I guarantee you that we won't have it sorted by then. 6 points ahead of third with a game in hand, but will likely be cut to 3 by the time we play Leicester and with our current form of won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2, I'm fully expecting another fuck up by us (as is the norm) and lose yet again in the play offs for the 4th time on the bounce and consider a summer exile from TFF to drown my sorrows. This may also be an over reaction.

#8 The Foxes

The Foxes

One Nigel Pearson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,924 posts
  • Joined 05-February 12
  • Favourites:Knockaert, Vardy, Mahrez
  • Country Flag

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I don't see why this side in this form can't do that.

Brighton (H)

Ipswich (A)

Charlton (A) Huddersfield (H)

Wolves (H) Bristol City (A)

Leicester (A)

Middlesbrough (H)

Cardiff (A)

Blackpool (H)  

There are a couple of potential banana skins there, but a run of five games against very average sides followed by the possibility of nicking a couple of points against Cardiff (who should have wrapped the title up by then), Boro and Leicester could bode very well. I count a very possible 20 points there. Of games against other sides who are likely to be promoted / well in the hunt (everyone down to Leeds in tenth, in my opinion), Bolton have four against the other promotion hopefuls. Brighton have six, Forest have five, Leicester have six, Boro have four, Leeds have the 'easiest' run with three. But, one game at a time.

The defence looks a lot tighter now, up top there does seem to be some actual confidence, and the midfield are looking more creative than ever this season (and they have largely impressed me). I seem to remember 'The Foxes' making a rather large assertion that Bolton wouldn't finish in the playoffs. Wouldn't it be a laugh to see him make true on his promise? :D (i'll find it when I can be arsed, not at 2am :| )

*Edit - Found it!  

Golly.

After our run of wins we looked at our fixtures for February, Peterborough, Charlton, Blackpool & Blackburn, followed by games at Ipswich and at home to Leeds. We were fancying a run extension and we've picked up a laughable five points from those games. It's unpredictable and who you've got in your games seems to make little difference.

My quote :lol: Sums me up.

@Stef. I guarantee you that we won't have it sorted by then. 6 points ahead of third with a game in hand, but will likely be cut to 3 by the time we play Leicester and with our current form of won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2, I'm fully expecting another fuck up by us (as is the norm) and lose yet again in the play offs for the 4th time on the bounce and consider a summer exile from TFF to drown my sorrows. This may also be an over reaction.

You'll beat us 1-0 again.

We're on worse form than you lot.

#9 FFS Murray

FFS Murray

TFF's only Palace fan.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,564 posts
  • Joined 25-August 06
  • Favourites:Jules Delaney Ward Jedi Bolasie Chamakh Murray
  • Country Flag

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

It's not actually that much of a loss as people seem to be making out. My colleague at work is a Brighton fan, he doesn't really like him in the starting line up, work horse that often lacks in quality. He hasn't been playing too much recently and Ulloa that new lad seems to have hit the ground running.

I've heard similar to be fair. Brighton fans haven't warmed to CMS as much as people expect. I would be surprised if Bolton made the playoffs. There's better teams above them. I am nervous of them mind you. If Bolton or Brighton were to take a promotion place this season after the season we've had ill probably be so disgusted that ill leave the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users