nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has died, his vice-president has announced.

Mr Chavez had not appeared in public since he returned to Venezuela last month after cancer treatment in Cuba.

An emotional Nicolas Maduro made the announcement on Tuesday evening, flanked by leading Venezuelan political and military leaders.

Earlier, he said the 58-year-old Venezuelan leader had a new, severe respiratory infection and had entered "his most difficult hours".

One of the most visible, vocal and controversial leaders in Latin America, the former army paratrooper won the presidency in 1998 and had most recently won another six-year presidential term in October 2012.

Last May, he said he had recovered from an unspecified cancer, after undergoing surgery and chemotherapy in 2011 and a further operation in February 2012.

However, in December 2012, he announced he needed further cancer surgery in Cuba, and named his Vice-President, Nicolas Maduro, as his preferred successor should the need arise.

Mr Chavez remained out of public view, finally returning to Venezuela in February.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...merica-21679053

This is very new, and few reports are coming from Venezuela, but there are rumours about military being on the streets. Maduro is supposed to take over as 2nd in command.

More interestingly, a U.S. Embassy's Air Force attaché was expelled from the country for alleged espionage and trying to stir up a military plot against the government, just before the news broke out.

Wonder how it goes now?

#2 Strawberry Jelly

Strawberry Jelly

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

Sounds like murder.

#3 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sounds like murder.

huh?

#4 Strawberry Jelly

Strawberry Jelly

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

huh?

I have inside information.  :D

Edited by Cesc, 05 March 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#5 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

I'm sure you do...  :dry:

#6 Strawberry Jelly

Strawberry Jelly

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Sorry, I'm just talking out of my ass. 

Is the respiratory infection a result of the cancer?

#7 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Sorry, I'm just talking out of my ass. 

Is the respiratory infection a result of the cancer?

Nice try, CIA!

#8 Strawberry Jelly

Strawberry Jelly

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Nice try, CIA!

:lol:

No, I really made a mistake and I'm trying to own up to it. I read the article and determined that because he "had a new, severe respiratory infection" and the cancer was unspecified, that he could've been murdered.

#9 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Infections are not uncommon in cancer patients, mostly due to negatively affected immune system, so it's not surprising really. Although you aren't the first to make such claims: http://www.thestar.c..._infection.html

#10 Berserker

Berserker

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,758 posts
  • Joined 08-November 10
  • Favourites:El Monumental, Cavenaghi, Higuain, Zanetti, Messi
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Great news, shame it wasnt Cristina though.

#11 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Great news, shame it wasnt Cristina though.

I don't usually give out negative rep, but I hope you'll never have a family member die of cancer. It's a horrible way to die, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even worst enemy. How can anyone rejoice in it, or wish it on somebody, I can't understand.

#12 Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason

Reserves

• Banned
  • 2,829 posts
  • Joined 02-July 08
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

George Galloway will be devastated.

#13 Berserker

Berserker

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,758 posts
  • Joined 08-November 10
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I don't usually give out negative rep, but I hope you'll never have a family member die of cancer. It's a horrible way to die, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even worst enemy. How can anyone rejoice in it, or wish it on somebody, I can't understand.

I hate when people generalizes like if everyone were the same good person, there are people that deserve painful deaths to pay for what they have done in life  í don't believe in "divine punishment" so this is as good as it gets. Besides, wouldn't it be fake if i said i'm sad when someone i dislike dies ?, he got what he deserved, end of.

#14 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

I hate when people generalizes like if everyone were the same good person, there are people that deserve painful deaths to pay for what they have done in life  í don't believe in "divine punishment" so this is as good as it gets. Besides, wouldn't it be fake if i said i'm sad when someone i dislike dies ?, he got what he deserved, end of.

You don't have to be sad, I certainly am not. There's a big difference between not being sad and celebrating it though. Just out of interest, would you care to elaborate on what exactly Chávez did to deserve a painful death?

#15 Berserker

Berserker

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,758 posts
  • Joined 08-November 10
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

He's a dictatorship, if you are venezuelan you can't leave your country unless you're important or have influences, he allied with our bitch and because of this ( among other things ) it's a pain in the arse to leave our country now too, he used to censure eveything that didn't contain praises to him, he sent people and journalist to jail because they didn't agree with him, among other things, want me to continue ?.

#16 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,056 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

He's authoritarian, yes, and he concentrated way too much power in his hands, especially in the more recent years. You can't ignore the fact, however, that he was a democratically elected president, mandated through a fair and internationally verified ballot who aced every election for almost two decades; election that is considered to be free, fair and transparent by international community. Even his opposition acknowledged that the voting system is working well, and Jimmy Carter with his election-monitoring center called Venezuelan election as one of the best-functioning ones in the world. So yes, you can definitely criticize him for trying to personalise, monopolise and centralise the power, but calling him 'a dictator' hardly makes sense in the true meaning of the word. 

The real effort to censor the media was only started after the failed coup d'état in 2002 (the controversial licensing law was only passed in 2009, as another Chávez effort to consolidate more power in his hands), and before that, the majority of mainstream media outlets were privately owned and belonged to the opposition groups who were criticising Chávez openly. In fact, millions of dollars have been spent by the US to support anti-Chavismo media outlets and journalists, who were quite free to spread the word and push the regime change. In recent years, the press freedom was cut down I believe, as Chávez rhetoric became more and more autocratic.  

I'm not sure what do you mean about Venezuelan's being unable to leave the country.

I'd thought you'd criticise Chávez economy mis-management, aggressive nationalization of resources, industry, and businesses, as well as a big decline in production of goods and over-reliance on oil exports, the rise of crime levels (especially homicide), support of FARC, corruption in judicial institutions (especially Supreme Court), lack of proper police forces, etc. There are loads of things to criticise for sure. I still don't see what makes him much worse than the majority of the political leaders of other countries, especially considering that his time in office also brought some positives, such as decreased poverty and unemployment, accessible healthcare, education and literacy programmes. 

#17 Berserker

Berserker

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,758 posts
  • Joined 08-November 10
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

I spoke with some venezuelans and they said they can't leave, besides this year a few known argentine journalists went there and were retained without a proper reason by venezuelan autorities, they broke their cameras and didn't let them leave until a day i think, it's like Cuba, i'm not saying he is the worst of the worse, but he's certainly up there with the north korean, Fidel, some africans and asians and ours.

#18 Strawberry Jelly

Strawberry Jelly

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,842 posts
  • Joined 05-August 05
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Damn Blake, you could've put forth some effort into your reply.

#19 Panflute

Panflute

Kraftsportkardinal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,797 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06
  • Favourites:Raúl, Casillas, Höwedes, Huntelaar, Dost
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

I still don't see what makes him much worse than the majority of the political leaders of other countries, especially considering that his time in office also brought some positives, such as decreased poverty and unemployment, accessible healthcare, education and literacy programmes. 

This. The notion that those leaders who uphold their democratic façade are in any way better than the leaders whom Western propaganda likes to brand as dictators is largely based on a self-centred, holier-than-thou attitude that is completely stuck in the naive Amnesty International way of perceiving the world. To hell with it.

#20 Berserker

Berserker

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,758 posts
  • Joined 08-November 10
  • Country Flag

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Damn Blake, you could've put forth some effort into your reply.

I couldn't be arsed, as i'm simply not interested in military disputes between Venezuela and the USA, nor in Venezuela's economics, i just exposed mainly why i disliked him to satisfy Nudge's curiosity.

#21 Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason

Reserves

• Banned
  • 2,829 posts
  • Joined 02-July 08
  • Country Flag

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

An excellent article you may wish to read.How typical of the Left to idolise a despot:http://www.dailymail...ca-Britain.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users