Photo
- - - - -

So the lottery is going up to £2 a ticket now...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bluewolf

Bluewolf

Denn die Todten reiten schnell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts
  • Joined 26-August 12
  • Country Flag

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Angry Lottery players have vowed to stop buying a ticket after operator Camelot announced that the price of a Lotto line will double to £2. More than 1,000 players vented their fury at the price hike on the National Lottery Facebook page this afternoon with many describing the increase as 'greed' while others predicted that it would signal the end of Camelot's involvement with the draw. Many will condemn the rise as inflation on what is already billed in some quarters as a 'tax on the poor'.The Hertfordshire-based company, which has operated the draw since its launch in November 1994, announced today that the price rise will see the prize for matching three numbers more than double to £25. But the pot for matching five numbers will drop by £500 to £1,000, while the reward for matching five numbers and the bonus ball will halve to £50,000.

The prize for matching four numbers will increase from £60 to £100. Camelot say that the price rise follows research which found that consumers 'want more ways to win more money' from the game.But many players have said that the changes will price them out of the game.Most adults will have bought a Lottery ticket at some stage since its launch on November 19 1994, but here are some other interesting Lottery facts:

• Tickets sale raked in £92 billion between November 1994 and November 2012
  • Around 70 per cent of UK adults are said to play the Lottery on a 'regular basis'
  • The Lottery has raised £29 billion for good causes
  • More than 400,000 grants have been made to a variety of projects across the UK
  • 71 per cent of grants have been for less than £10,000
  • Ticket sales for the 2011-2012 financial year were £6.5 million
  • Since its launch the Lottery has created more than 2,000 millionaires with £8.5 billion paid out in jackpot funds
  • The average jackpot win is £2.8 million

Camelot UK managing director Andy Duncan said: 'Our players still love Lotto but after 18 years they say they want more from it. 'We've spoken extensively with them to develop a re-energised game and the changes we'll be introducing in the autumn to rejuvenate Lotto will give them what they have asked for: £25 for matching three numbers, bigger jackpots and a brand new way to play and win one of 50 prizes of a guaranteed £20,000 on each and every draw.' But Matt Zarb-Cousin, of the pressure group Fairer Gambling, said: ‘If you play the same lines every week you’re not going to stop playing one. 'If you don’t think the Lottery is a tax on the poor, have a look at what it funds and ask yourself if the state should be paying for that.’Economist Ruth Lea said: ‘This is a regressive tax. Lottery players tend to be people on lower incomes who are looking for a bit of glamour and a bit of hope. It is their weekly buzz, and the cost of their weekly buzz is going to double. ‘The Government will benefit, and the less well-off will pay.’

So it's going up in the Autumn then... I do the lottery myself but if it's going to double I might have to knock a few of them on the head each month. The most I have ever won since doing it is about £40 but no millions for me...or for the rest of us I should imagine :( so what are our thoughts people.. do you do it, and if you do what's the most you have won on it, does it bother you, or will you carry on as before???I know they use it as a reason to create revenue for Charities and the like but a lot of it also goes towards the arts and projects like that and would love to see a breakdown of where the money goes and thought these comments were pretty wank..

Today Acevo, the association of chief executives of voluntary organisations, said it had been reassured by Camelot that the move would signal good news for the charities that Lotto supports. A spokesman said: 'We understand that this move is projected to increase the amount of lottery income going to charities and community groups, which in these difficult times will be very welcome. 'Of course players prefer to pay less for tickets, but there is also an upside in the shape of vital funding for voluntary organisations doing important work all over the country.’
So then, they plan to double the amount of a lotto being taken from the general public per ticket to plough that back into the community again??? not buying that :shakehead:link http://www.dailymail...ayout-drop.html

Edited by Bluewolf, 20 August 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#2 ASF

ASF

Squad Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,565 posts
  • Joined 10-March 07
  • Favourites:Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Jorge Costa, Falcao, Hulk
  • Country Flag

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

The only lottery I play from time to time is the Euromillions. It's 2 Euros a single column and that's as much as I play. Never played more than that. My winning ratio is above 50%, but so far the most I have won is 10 Euros. Would be mint if I can win someday the 3rd or 4th prize.

#3 Salford Kel

Salford Kel

It's in a book... must be true...

• Banned
  • 30,267 posts
  • Joined 24-August 11
  • Favourites:Giggseh and Scholeseh
  • Country Flag

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

What a ripoff

#4 Panflute

Panflute

Kraftsportkardinal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,747 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06
  • Favourites:Raúl, Casillas, Höwedes, Huntelaar, Dost
  • Country Flag

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

What a ripoff

It's a pyramid game, what do you expect?

#5 The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger

First Team

• Members.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,677 posts
  • Joined 22-February 12
  • Country Flag

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I can't understand this kind of gambling, I much prefer the gambling where you fool yourself into believing you have some sort of knowledge-control.

#6 What is love

What is love

Breakfast Time

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,036 posts
  • Joined 21-November 04
  • Favourites:Shearer, Given, Solano, Speed, Rob Lee
  • Country Flag

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

This lottery will die because of that price in my opinion.

If you have £2 you are going to put it on the euromillions not the lotto as the jackpot is considerably bigger. The balance between the two lotteries was good. I talk like I put it on, I never did until tonight :lol:

#7 Lady-In-Red

Lady-In-Red

yes, I am a female who loves football, pints and fifa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • Joined 17-July 07
  • Favourites:Reina, Gerrard, Hyypia, Fowler, McManaman
  • Country Flag

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

People will still do it, but I think they should keep it to £1 to be honest. There seems to be so many different ones now anyway. I don't really do it but often think... what if...

#8 The Foxes

The Foxes

One Nigel Pearson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,732 posts
  • Joined 05-February 12
  • Favourites:Knockaert, Vardy, Mahrez
  • Country Flag

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Pathetic.

#9 worms

worms

Trainee

• Members.
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 11-August 13
  • Country Flag

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Why do you think they stop selling tickets 30 minutes before the draw? Think about this.

In Israel a few years ago they screwed up, two weeks in a row the EXACT same number came out!!!! Look it up, that's a fact. I can't remember the what the probability of that happening is, it's something like 1 in 100 billion or something crazy like that.

The machines are programmed to roll out numbers so no real person wins, only actors. Or at the very least real people, who are told - "Listen, we will give you £20 thousand but you have to act like you won £10 million". Wouldn't you take that deal? It's so obvious, why else would the Lotto exist other than to impose voluntary tax on people? You guys need to start thinking outside of the box, keep a open mind.

#10 Hikaru Genji

Hikaru Genji

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Joined 13-July 13
  • Favourites:Anything not Real Madrid
  • Country Flag

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Powerball here ($2 per ticket) gets to half a billion sometimes. I play. Who would buy a sports team if they won the really large jackpots? I would!

#11 What is love

What is love

Breakfast Time

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,036 posts
  • Joined 21-November 04
  • Favourites:Shearer, Given, Solano, Speed, Rob Lee
  • Country Flag

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

The machines are programmed to roll out numbers so no real person wins, only actors. Or at the very least real people, who are told - "Listen, we will give you £20 thousand but you have to act like you won £10 million". Wouldn't you take that deal? It's so obvious, why else would the Lotto exist other than to impose voluntary tax on people?

You guys need to start thinking outside of the box, keep a open mind.

:lol: David Moyes is that you?

#12 dorset lion

dorset lion

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Joined 03-April 12
  • Country Flag

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Got a set of numbers I use so I won't stop doing it but where as I often have a lucky dip as well now I won't bother and just stick to one line.

#13 Bluewolf

Bluewolf

Denn die Todten reiten schnell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts
  • Joined 26-August 12
  • Country Flag

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Got a EuroMillions one on Friday and won £5.26 with both lucky stars and and one other number... wondering if I should splurge and spend it all in one go or not... I can be a bit reckless like that

Edited by Bluewolf, 25 August 2013 - 06:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users