nudge

The Movie Recommendation Thread

61 posts in this topic

Don't know about you, but I'm often looking for some movie recommendations. Thought a thread for that would be a good idea for the future.

I'm having a mild cold, so I'm staying at home for today and tomorrow, and could do with some movie recommendations, as I can't choose anything for some reason.

Some help for you - my top ten films ever:

2001: A Space Odyssey

Thin Red Line

Big Fish

Voces Inocentes

Taxi Driver

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

V for Vendetta

The Fifth Element

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Children of Men

Genres I'm looking for: sci-fi, political thriller/drama, war, black/absurd comedy, crime. In general, movies that could be described as 'thought-provoking', or the ones dealing with social issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Good thread, a lot of the films I watch nowadays are ones that people have told me are good or people have recommended to me.

Don't know if it would be your thing Nudge but when it comes to social issues, I automatically think of City of God, La Haine and Ill Manors, three very good films.

On a general note, it's an obvious one but I'd recommend anyone to watch Pulp Fiction if they haven't already.

A lot of independent movies that really need recommending, for that reason I'm suggesting Shifty featuring Daniel Mays. A very simple and straight forward movie, but brilliantly acted

Uncanny. I was just trying to come up with a good comedy film to watch. Any ideas?

Uncanny. I was just trying to come up with a good comedy film to watch. Any ideas?

Depends, The Quiet Family is an excellent comedy. South Korean language film mind.

Good thread, a lot of the films I watch nowadays are ones that people have told me are good or people have recommended to me.

Don't know if it would be your thing Nudge but when it comes to social issues, I automatically think of City of God, La Haine and Ill Manors, three very good films.

On a general note, it's an obvious one but I'd recommend anyone to watch Pulp Fiction if they haven't already.

I've seen those, all really good films. Do you known that City of God has a sequel? Well, sort of. It's called City of Men, and it's directed by the same director. There's also TV series of the same title.

Nudge - since you have The Fifth Element in your top ten, I suggest Leon, my favourite film ever. You've probably already seen it, though. If so, maybe another Luc Besson film..Angel-A, Nikita?

Pantlute - ln Bruges.

In Bruges is a great shout, the Guard is well worth a viewing as well.

Blood Diamond is a superb film, but I think you have watched it already Inga.

Of recent movies that I have seen, I would recommend American Gangster and The Informant!.

...Dan - I love Leon as well, amazing film! And yes, I've seen pretty much every film by Luc Besson; one of my favourite directors. Have you seen The Lady?

Panflute - Devils on the Doorstep (Guizi lai le), a Chinese black comedy, which is actually banned in China :lol:

Crime - Mesrine.

Both of them are fantastic. My favourite native film is probably Tell No One

Blood Diamond is a superb film, but I think you have watched it already Inga.

Of recent movies that I have seen, I would recommend American Gangster and The Informant!.

Seen all of them, yeah :) I agree about Blood Diamond, it's one of my favourite films as well. Have you seen Lord of War? It's similar in a way, and also a great movie! Wasn't that much impressed with American Gangster, and The Informant! was pretty good.

Oh and yes, Mesrine is quality. The French make quality crime movies, in general.

If you like Sci fi at a more relaxed pace like 2001 a Space Odyssey then maybe you might like Moon

Edited by Bluewolf

...Dan - I love Leon as well, amazing film! And yes, I've seen pretty much every film by Luc Besson; one of my favourite directors. Have you seen The Lady?

I haven't yet, no. Good film? Among his best?

Seen all of them, yeah :) I agree about Blood Diamond, it's one of my favourite films as well. Have you seen Lord of War? It's similar in a way, and also a great movie! Wasn't that much impressed with American Gangster, and The Informant! was pretty good.

Can't say that I have. That's one more movie to add to the list of the ones I have to see, then. :D

Another one I would recommend - North by Northwest. But something tells me you have seen this one already. :)

Another genre, but Stay is a very unnoticed, unusual and in my opinion underrated movie with a surprising and intriguing ending.

In the crime genre I'd recommend Un prophète. It's a bit long but gripping from the first minute.

Edited by Tsubasa

My favourite films of all time and ergo my best recommendations ..

Pans Labyrinth

Tell Me Something

Infernal Affairs

JSA

Shiri

Tell No One

Tyrannosaur

Nil By Mouth

Gritty British cinema at it's finest.

Face is another underrated British film. A 'heist' film underlined by a fierce criticism of capitalism and greed

Edited by Salford Kel

If you like Sci fi at a more relaxed pace like 2001 a Space Odyssey then maybe you might like Moon

Liked Moon as well, very good sci fi film. Why did you edit the Dark Star out? :) I read the description on imdb and that caught my attention.

I haven't yet, no. Good film? Among his best?

Well, it's a very different film. Not comparable to any others he made. I'm personally was very interested by the story itself, but it's also a very beautifully done film. Amazing cinematography, great soundtrack, quality cast.

Can't say that I have. That's one more movie to add to the list of the ones I have to see, then. :D

Another one I would recommend - North by Northwest. But something tells me you have seen this one already. :)

Yes, I've seen most of the classics already, that's why it's quite hard to choose what to watch these days :D

Another crime recommendation - Chopper.

And a general recommendation, because it's one of my favourites - I'm A Cyborg, But That's Ok. A lot of you will know Park Chan-wook for his 'Vengeance trilogy', but few people know of this film. Don't expect it to be anything like his other films, though, because it isn't. It's a love story, set in a mental hospital.

Another crime recommendation - Chopper.

And a general recommendation, because it's one of my favourites - I'm A Cyborg, But That's Ok. A lot of you will know Park Chan-wook for his 'Vengeance trilogy', but few people know of this film. Don't expect it to be anything like his other films, though, because it isn't. It's a love story, set in a mental hospital.

Got it on Blu-Ray mate. Classic

Good man. I thought I was its only fan.

Liked Moon as well, very good sci fi film. Why did you edit the Dark Star out? :) I read the description on imdb and that caught my attention.

I was trying to edit a bit out but the mouse is on the bed cover and keeps highlighting whole sentences and deleting loads out so I thought sod it I will stick with Moon as a suggestion... :lol: Dark Star is really old now but if you can get past the dated effects it was pretty good and humorous film in it's time...

Edited by Bluewolf

Good man. I thought I was its only fan.

I watched it around 2 years ago, primarily because I'm a Park Chan Wook fan. Have you seen JSA, another lesser known Chan Wook film?

I've had it on DVD for a few years, but I haven't got around to watching it, no. I've seen Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr/Lady Vengeance, Thirst and I'm A Cyborg.

If you don't take yourself too seriously, give Clue a watch with Tim Curry. I love it.

I watched it around 2 years ago, primarily because I'm a Park Chan Wook fan. Have you seen JSA, another lesser known Chan Wook film?

Is he a United fan? I bet he is

My favourite films of all time and ergo my best recommendations ..

Pans Labyrinth

Is actually genius. I'm starting to get into foreign films. I mean their adult films are class obviously.

General recommendations:

This is spinal tap

Anything Monty python

Hot Fuzz

Lock stock

Recents:

Rise of the guardians

Boy A

Edited by Salford Kel

Boy A

I second this. Andrew Garfield is amazing in this one.

Edited by Tsubasa

3 recomendations:

Runaway Train(existencial realistic action), Alle Anderen (Everyone Else)(relationship drama), Le feu follet (The Fire Within)(great classic)

Hope you are better from your cold nudge!

I second this. Andrew Garfield is amazing in this one.

Yeah, it was the first Andrew Garfield film l saw a few years ago, great film and great performance from him.

This doesn't really fit any of the genres you're looking for nudge, but watch Kes. Classic film, always been up there with my faves.

This doesn't really fit any of the genres you're looking for nudge, but watch Kes. Classic film, always been up there with my faves.

Classic

Dead Man's Shoes - If never seen, watch it. Absolute quality film!

I think it would be good if this thread was pinned. 

A decent thread and one that could be useful when you decide what to watch.