MaximusMeyer

German National Team Thread

1,275 posts in this topic

France the better team?

What have they done before the PK?  I want to know.  Were they the team looked "better" and should win?  No.

Conversely Germany also did nothing before the PK. Possession is all well and good but zero goals is still zero goals.

Conversely Germany also did nothing before the PK. Possession is all well and good but zero goals is still zero goals.

They dominated the possession, and had more shots (on goal).

If not because of the pk, Germany was more likely to win than France, which had less possession and shots (on goal).

They were trailing, France sat back, and you blame them for not getting a goal?

Zero goals points to lack of finish, they didnt create zero chances. Their was a point to the possesion especially in the first half. Footballs a cruel sport sometimes the better team doesnt always win (ALA CHELSEA 2012!) 

Edited by Viva la Bayern

It's not that France is a better team overall, in fact far from the like of DIE MANNSCHAFT, but they won the day. It is what it is, so I'm focusing my energy on the next big event.

They dominated the possession, and had more shots (on goal).

If not because of the pk, Germany was more likely to win than France, which had less possession and shots (on goal).

They were trailing, France sat back, and you blame them for not getting a goal?

Zero goals points to lack of finish, they didnt create zero chances. Their was a point to the possesion especially in the first half. Footballs a cruel sport sometimes the better team doesnt always win (ALA CHELSEA 2012!) 

So? If Germany were so good they would have scored before hand, who cares about possession and chances created if they don't achieve anything. Just accept the fact that Germany weren't good enough to score in the first half and they weren't good enough to comeback on a deficit during the second. If Germany is so fantastic why couldn't they muster up in the second half? No point muttering about what ifs scenarios. Could just as easily lost without the PK too.

Chelsea were the better team in 2012. The defended marvellously, to the point that Bayern couldn't do anything. Their attacking was terrible but Cech and the defence was too much for Bayern to conquer even with Drogba's penalty giveaway. The team that dominates the offence isn't equivalent to the better team.

Edited by Spike

@Viva La Bayern

@Notlionelmessi

Agree, the team lack of finishing, but NOT lack of creating chances.  Even down by 2, Germany still created more quality chances than France.  It was just not their day and not able to score.  Lloris had a couple of good saves also.

France is a good team, but no where close to team Germany's quality. 

Look forward to WC2018 and see how they get a plan B in attack.

I think the lack of depth together With some bad Luck got to Germany this time. Not Jogi's fault.

I do not think Chelsea defended all that well, more a case of Bayern choking it (when you choke, you deserve to lose).

So? If Germany were so good they would have scored before hand, who cares about possession and chances created if they don't achieve anything. Just accept the fact that Germany weren't good enough to score in the first half and they weren't good enough to comeback on a deficit during the second. If Germany is so fantastic why couldn't they muster up in the second half? No point muttering about what ifs scenarios. Could just as easily lost without the PK too. Im assuming you were responding more to Ronnie as i don't f

Chelsea were the better team in 2012. The defended marvellously, to the point that Bayern couldn't do anything. Their attacking was terrible but Cech and the defence was too much for Bayern to conquer even with Drogba's penalty giveaway. The team that dominates the offence isn't equivalent to the better team.

You're correct they should have scored or could have score but they didnt, which is why i said lack of finish their not all of a sudden shit and second best because they didnt score. France finished their chances, they deserved to go through so be it thats not what im argueing. Argue what you want but their was clear purpose to the possesion and especially in the first half France was overwhelmed massively. Lit bit of fortune tipped their way and the game changes drastically. Cruel sport.  If you want to word it like that i can to: The team that wins doesnt equate to being the best team on that day. 

If you want to use Chelsea as an example as i was i don't know how you can they defended marvelously when many chances were created, lack of finish again was an issue. Im not going to go in depth about this it was beaten to death at the time and its year ago, i think we could argue all day about this by the looks of it. 

You're correct they should have scored or could have score but they didnt, which is why i said lack of finish their not all of a sudden shit and second best because they didnt score. France finished their chances, they deserved to go through so be it thats not what im argueing. Argue what you want but their was clear purpose to the possesion and especially in the first half France was overwhelmed massively. Lit bit of fortune tipped their way and the game changes drastically. Cruel sport.  If you want to word it like that i can to: The team that wins doesnt equate to being the best team on that day. 

If you want to use Chelsea as an example as i was i don't know how you can they defended marvelously when many chances were created, lack of finish again was an issue. Im not going to go in depth about this it was beaten to death at the time and its year ago, i think we could argue all day about this by the looks of it. 

It's just semantics anyway. May as well not get in a tiffle over it.

@Viva La Bayern

@Notlionelmessi

Agree, the team lack of finishing, but NOT lack of creating chances.  Even down by 2, Germany still created more quality chances than France.  It was just not their day and not able to score.  Lloris had a couple of good saves also.

France is a good team, but no where close to team Germany's quality. 

Look forward to WC2018 and see how they get a plan B in attack.

for now it's the Olympics :p

I think the lack of depth together With some bad Luck got to Germany this time. Not Jogi's fault.

I do not think Chelsea defended all that well, more a case of Bayern choking it (when you choke, you deserve to lose).

I just saw a Kicker poll in which most respondents expressed support for Löw remaining in his position through to WC 2018 and beyond. I just don't understand these sentiments. Winning WC 2014 alone means Löw's time with Germany cannot be called a failure, or at least not without being shouted down by others, but there's no way he hasn't been a massive underachiever, either. Any tournament from WC 2010 has been perfectly winnable for Germany, but Löw's strange tactics and team selections have hindered success. His distaste for strikers and attempts to emulate the Spain of 2008-2012 don't play to Germany's strengths, which are that of a team that mixes dominance in possession with relentless attacks, and we need strikers to convert those attacks. False-nine tiki-taka football doesn't suit Germany. And his team selections this time around... Wasting a forward slot on Podolski, who hasn't been anything more than the team jester for at least the past four years, ignoring Sané and Schürrle in favour of chronically misfiring Müller and Götze, leaving Volland and Kruse at home... Also, while it may simply be gossip, it was reported that Reus wasn't actually suffering from a tournament-ending injury, and that Löw made an executive decision that he simply didn't fit with his desired style.

The injury curse that hit this tournament certainly impacted us, but not to an extent that it was the decisive factor. That first half effort against France was one of the most dominant displays I've ever seen in international football. There are no excuses for failing to score in that match.

Ideally, I would like Löw to depart and Bierhoff to take over, with WC 2018 the indicator of whether it should be on a permanent basis. I believe Bierhoff is not only more tactically competent, but commands more respect from the players than that metrosexual, ball-sniffing creep.

Agree with you on the reasons for the German failure concerning this and former tournaments under Löws helm.

Your last two sentences can only be a joke, though. Fucking Oliver Bierhoff as head coach of the German NT? That Oliver Bierhoff, who  not only never managed any team but always insisted he weren´t interested in a coaching role, and has a lot to do with team selection as  a team manager? That Oliver Bierhoff, who is the origine of that cringeworthy idea of rebranding the team as " la Mannschaft"?

I´d even rather Friedhelm Funkel would be appointed.

Agree with you on the reasons for the German failure concerning this and former tournaments under Löws helm.

Your last two sentences can only be a joke, though. Fucking Oliver Bierhoff as head coach of the German NT? That Oliver Bierhoff, who  not only never managed any team but always insisted he weren´t interested in a coaching role, and has a lot to do with team selection as  a team manager? That Oliver Bierhoff, who is the origine of that cringeworthy idea of rebranding the team as " la Mannschaft"?

I´d even rather Friedhelm Funkel would be appointed.

Plenty of managers have taken top positions without much, if any, prior coaching experience. Löw himself went from job to job before taking over with Germany, and his record in league management was awful. Bierhoff has been team manager since Klinsmann's era, knows the system and the players, and is likely to be less rigid and stubborn than Löw. I'd rather take a chance on him than have a similar run to the one we just saw in 2018.

Löw's time has expired with the team. It's been a decade and I don't like how he changes the teams formation based on the opponent. The opponent should be the ones respect Die Mannshaft.

Striker position is a problem. Yet there are other candidates to bring other than podoloski.

I am looking for to the confederations cup next summer. Add some new hardware to our trophy case!

Löw's time has expired with the team. It's been a decade and I don't like how he changes the teams formation based on the opponent. The opponent should be the ones respect Die Mannshaft.

Striker position is a problem. Yet there are other candidates to bring other than podoloski.

I am looking for to the confederations cup next summer. Add some new hardware to our trophy case!

The striker situation isn't an encouraging one. We only have two honest strikers coming up through the youth setup right now; Selke and Putaro, and how likely is Löw to call them up in 2018?  Podolski and Gomez should be gone by the World Cup, so that will help clear out some dead weight up front. And we'll have Müller, Reus, Götze, Schürrle, Özil, Kroos, Hummels, Boateng, and Draxler at or around their physical peak... Assuming another injury curse doesn't hit, and Löw doesn't screw around with formation, we're the solid favourite for that tournament.

Why has Löw alienated players such Schmeltzer and Kiessling? Perhaps Kruse could've filled a striker role. I was happy with Hectors tournament debut as well as Kimmich. You are right with injury curse. Especially Reus. Now two tournaments he missed.

Why has Löw alienated players such Schmeltzer and Kiessling? Perhaps Kruse could've filled a striker role. I was happy with Hectors tournament debut as well as Kimmich. You are right with injury curse. Especially Reus. Now two tournaments he missed.

Löw doesn't like Dortmund players, and Kie​ßling and Kruse have had personal fallings-out with him over their behaviour and won't feature for the national side again. Löw's control freak ways. Hector and Kimmich were alright, just need to mature and gain experience.

If the 2012 prime Mario Gomez was not good enough, why the 2016 Mario Gomez is good enough?

Muller had scored 10 goals in 2 WC and he was the starting striker of the winning team in 2014, why changed it back to 2012 (except Poldi)?? 

2012 - Gomez - Podolski - Ozil - Muller - Schweinsteiger - Kroos

2016 - Gomez - Draxler - Ozil - Muller - Schweinsteiger - Kroos

Gomez should be the back up the most.

I don't think Low's selection was really a problem, as Reus was injured, and he had picked Draxler, Sane, Kimmich, Hector (player who played) already, together with Weigl, Tah and a couple of keepers. 

There was no more space and playing time for additional new/young players.  Remember, the teams still has veterans (but not old) like Schurrle and Gotze as subs.

The biggest problem right now is, there is no true striker after Klose and Gomez, if we need one and not starting Muller.

Kiessling has already past his prime and I don't believe Kruse was good enough make a difference at all.

For this tournament it seemed like beating Italy was like winning the trophy for them. The game should've ended 1:0 but a silly penalty warranted further play. The dramatics in the pk sucked out the energy which left them a bit less in the game vs France

It'll be weird to watch the national team without him  :(

Neuer has been announced as the new captain of Die Mannschaft!

Neuer will be a good captain. Comes across as a natural leader that oozes confidence.

Neuer will be a good captain. Comes across as a natural leader that oozes confidence.

bro, Neuer is confidence itself!

Neuer himself is a great captain, but he's completely misplaced on the pitch.

Weigl is the perfect captain, despite his young age. I know nobody will accept that and simply point out how young he is and that he hasn't been with the team for long enough, but after this season you'll see.

Wow, now that's a very brave opinion. Weigl - as well as any other player - should first establish himself as a regular for the national team before even being considered as a candidate for captaincy. 

Khedira would have been my pick, but I guess Neuer is an okay choice too. Weigl? What the hell?

Neuer has been announced as the new captain of Die Mannschaft!

giphy.gif

Edited by Tsubasa

In your opinions, who's a German U 20 footballer that's got a promising future?

Wellenreuther 20

Tah 20

Weigl 20

Sané 20

Brandt 20

Meyer 20

Süle 20

Dahoud 20

Werner 20

Eggestein 18

Passlack 18

Edited by True Bender

Nice to see Gnabry get a hattrick on his debut. Things are probably going a bit too well for him if you're a Werder Bermen fan though.

Apparently Löw has sung his praises recently. Hopefully he will put him in the lineup. Imagine Werner Gnarby and Müller up front.  Could snap Müllers goal scoring slump.  

Hes been playing well  leading the Bundesliga in assists just lacking that goal scoring touch

Final NT game for Poldi, 1-0 against England, scored a goal.

Perfect ending.