Chadwell

No longer a "Trainee," damnit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 29 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

You don't live far from me if you're looking at the Appalachian Mountains.  What do you do at the hospital?  Are you in the pharmacy?  RN?  Practicing doctor?   It's important to have balance, even if you're in a true career.  There is more to life than your occupation.

Haha the Appalachians are a very long chain my friend (as I'm sure you know), as I could be anywhere from Maine to Alabama on that information. In fact, it is that Southernmost tip where I am, northern Alabama. I'm a 3rd year student doctor, and balance is not part of the equation this year haha, that's next year, and then residency is right back into little life outside of the hospital (hence why they're called "residents"). I'm currently on my neuro rotation, and I have this awkward foreign attending doc who is extremely knowledgeable but very asocial, and therefore he has communicated to me via questions that I should spend every waking second studying and that sleep is optional lol. It's enjoyable, it really is, I'm just sad to see my days as a yoof are now officially over.

#8442 TrstntheGr1m

TrstntheGr1m

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Joined 09-April 13
  • Favourites:Gomez, Schweini, Müller, Lahm, Neuer
  • Country Flag

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Haha the Appalachians are a very long chain my friend (as I'm sure you know), as I could be anywhere from Maine to Alabama on that information. In fact, it is that Southernmost tip where I am, northern Alabama. I'm a 3rd year student doctor, and balance is not part of the equation this year haha, that's next year, and then residency is right back into little life outside of the hospital (hence why they're called "residents"). I'm currently on my neuro rotation, and I have this awkward foreign attending doc who is extremely knowledgeable but very asocial, and therefore he has communicated to me via questions that I should spend every waking second studying and that sleep is optional lol. It's enjoyable, it really is, I'm just sad to see my days as a yoof are now officially over.

Maybe it just has to be over temporarily? :P  I'm certainly no expert and you obviously know more than I would but because of my primary work I get to read through quite a few grant applications and the like mainly for physicians/medical students and based on that was under the impression that there are opportunities to do your residency abroad or in a more remote location? Would something like that be a bit more of an "adventure" than the usual residency maybe?

#8443 Chadwell

Chadwell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Maybe it just has to be over temporarily? :P  I'm certainly no expert and you obviously know more than I would but because of my primary work I get to read through quite a few grant applications and the like mainly for physicians/medical students and based on that was under the impression that there are opportunities to do your residency abroad or in a more remote location? Would something like that be a bit more of an "adventure" than the usual residency maybe?

Yup, exactly what I'm thinking! There are programs where they pay off all your loans (which would be awesome as med school in the US is staggeringly expensive and I've still not even paid off undergrad haha) for you to go to some podunk place no one else wants to go to.

I heard of these, and I'm like, "wait, let me get this straight, I get to check out some wild ass place and you'll pay off all my loans for me to do it?! Sign me up!"

#8444 TrstntheGr1m

TrstntheGr1m

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Joined 09-April 13
  • Country Flag

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Yup, exactly what I'm thinking! There are programs where they pay off all your loans (which would be awesome as med school in the US is staggeringly expensive and I've still not even paid off undergrad haha) for you to go to some podunk place no one else wants to go to.

I heard of these, and I'm like, "wait, let me get this straight, I get to check out some wild ass place and you'll pay off all my loans for me to do it?! Sign me up!"

Haha sweet! Definitely worth going for! Doesn't sound so doom and gloom in that case :P Life is just like that sometimes whether you're young, old or in between. One year can be total hell where you can literally not afford to do anything but work and you figure life is over, whereas other years you get to live life as you want it to be. But it sounds like as a physician once you're past this particular hurdle life could go back to being more exciting again for you as you get to pick where you practice. I think a lot of people put too much into how much life "has" to look past a particular age or stage in a person's career/life.

#8445 Chadwell

Chadwell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:23 PM

Haha sweet! Definitely worth going for! Doesn't sound so doom and gloom in that case :P Life is just like that sometimes whether you're young, old or in between. One year can be total hell where you can literally not afford to do anything but work and you figure life is over, whereas other years you get to live life as you want it to be. But it sounds like as a physician once you're past this particular hurdle life could go back to being more exciting again for you as you get to pick where you practice. I think a lot of people put too much into how much life "has" to look past a particular age or stage in a person's career/life.

Fair points.

I honestly don't mean to come across as "complaining," as if it were the case that I were genuinely unhappy, I wouldn't do this. It's more of a "coming to a crossroads" type feeling, and while I'm excited about the road ahead, I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic for the one left behind and wonder what it'd have been like to have stayed on that one for a bit longer. I've no doubt that once I get a bit further down this new road that I'll get over it quickly, but for the moment I'm still in that phase where the one left behind is still well in view. 

Thanks anyway though bud, pleasure reading your responses. 

#8446 TrstntheGr1m

TrstntheGr1m

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Joined 09-April 13
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Fair points.

I honestly don't mean to come across as "complaining," as if it were the case that I were genuinely unhappy, I wouldn't do this. It's more of a "coming to a crossroads" type feeling, and while I'm excited about the road ahead, I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic for the one left behind and wonder what it'd have been like to have stayed on that one for a bit longer. I've no doubt that once I get a bit further down this new road that I'll get over it quickly, but for the moment I'm still in that phase where the one left behind is still well in view. 

Thanks anyway though bud, pleasure reading your responses. 

Apologies man didn't mean to imply you were complaining or anything like that, not at all. Personally I'm "that" guy who has had a pseudo mid-life crisis every 5 years since turning 20 so you certainly have my sympathies! :lol: I'm 30 now and essentially every time after having my little nostalgic "panic attack" after hitting a new point in life, I've found that what I imagined was the end of certain facets of my youth didn't really end up being the case or at least to the extent that I thought it would is I guess what I was trying to get across. Things will be different and yes you do pass those crossroads but I suppose I was trying to give some words of sympathy of saying that sometimes these changes in life are not as drastic in the grande scheme as they initially seem if that makes any sense. At this point I'm probably just babbling but anyway which ever way things go best of luck to you! You seem like the kind of guy that certainly knows what he wants out of life so I'm sure you'll have it sorted :thumbup: 

#8447 Chadwell

Chadwell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 03:36 AM

Apologies man didn't mean to imply you were complaining or anything like that, not at all. Personally I'm "that" guy who has had a pseudo mid-life crisis every 5 years since turning 20 so you certainly have my sympathies! :lol: I'm 30 now and essentially every time after having my little nostalgic "panic attack" after hitting a new point in life, I've found that what I imagined was the end of certain facets of my youth didn't really end up being the case or at least to the extent that I thought it would is I guess what I was trying to get across. Things will be different and yes you do pass those crossroads but I suppose I was trying to give some words of sympathy of saying that sometimes these changes in life are not as drastic in the grande scheme as they initially seem if that makes any sense. At this point I'm probably just babbling but anyway which ever way things go best of luck to you! You seem like the kind of guy that certainly knows what he wants out of life so I'm sure you'll have it sorted :thumbup:

Cheers man, and well worded post. I hope you're right! Would love to get a few months down the road from now, get settled in a bit more, and view it as no thing. 

Maybe I'm just dealing with football withdrawals?

Yeah, that's probably what it is. 

#8448 Relling

Relling

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Joined 01-May 11
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Not giving you a specific figure, but it's around the average salary of most of Western European countries. It's nothing special, but it's surely good enough for me.

Ms nudgeperson must be carefull not to run out excuses for not showing up at the next meet up :P

Edited by Relling, Yesterday, 03:52 PM.

#8449 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,927 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Ms nudgeperson must be carefull not to run out excuses for not showing up at the next meet up :P

haha, I can tell you right now that despite of how fond I am of you guys, I'm certainly not flying approx 10.000 km for a two day meetup :lol: 

#8450 Kloppische

Kloppische

Rolls-Reus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • Joined 27-January 12
  • Favourites:Mats Hummels, Lukasz Piszczek
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

It's official, nudge hates us.

#8451 Faithcore

Faithcore

Meidericher Spielverein

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

How about a three day meetup then?

#8452 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,927 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:43 PM

^^ I know you're joking, but I would only consider the meetup if I could combine it with a trip back home at the same time. It really isn't worth flying to Europe for less than a week...

#8453 Panflute

Panflute

salty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06
  • Favourites:Raúl, Casillas, Höwedes, Huntelaar, Dost
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 PM

I guess I could pay you a visit when I'm on my way to the Philippines to buy a wife!

#8454 TrstntheGr1m

TrstntheGr1m

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Joined 09-April 13
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Maybe I'm just dealing with football withdrawals?

Yeah, that's probably what it is. 

Could well be, football withdrawal does things to the brain :P Jonesing for the Super Cup this weekend :P 

#8455 jobosno

jobosno

Trialist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 16-May 15
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Just saw the Bundesliga showing schedule for the Fox Sports channels and I'm stoked. My university expanded the channels available last year so I'll be able to watch the games in English, on TV now.

#8456 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Just saw the Bundesliga showing schedule for the Fox Sports channels and I'm stoked. My university expanded the channels available last year so I'll be able to watch the games in English, on TV now.

where do you go to Uni at?

#8457 jobosno

jobosno

Trialist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 16-May 15
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 12:32 AM

where do you go to Uni at?

UNC (University of North Carolina)