Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

Apparently there's a risk for a terror attack; hopefully the firework stand down the street isn't a target...

#8123 oliveandblue

oliveandblue

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Joined 31-December 10
  • Favourites:Julian Draxler, Marco Reus, Patrick Herrmann, Roman Neustadter
  • Country Flag

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:58 PM

I'll go to a city with a buddy of mine. We'll see how long I stay since the drunks will be out.  

#8124 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:07 AM

Big pain for me is I'm still under aged, so drinking is done in secrecy, just going with the benefit of the doubt in case there are police officers. Lol. My 21st can't come soon enough.

#8125 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

First Team

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,992 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Favourites:Subotic, Sahin, Hummels, Schmelzer
  • Country Flag

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

Big pain for me is I'm still under aged, so drinking is done in secrecy, just going with the benefit of the doubt in case there are police officers. Lol. My 21st can't come soon enough.

Come to Germany. I had my first beer when I was like 13. It's legal when you're 16 here. 

Edited by Tsubasa, 04 July 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#8126 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

Come to Germany. I had my first beer when I was like 13. It's legal when you're 16 here.

I would LOVE to come to Germany!

#8127 SchalkeUK

SchalkeUK

Schalke UK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 11-September 07
  • Favourites:Still Ivan Rakitic, Mesut and Manu and Andy Beck!
  • Country Flag

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

My son-in-law from NC is still with us - finishing his masters this year at Leeds - and today he takes over the kitchen, the garden and the BBQ.  Sorry you can't all be here, but when he starts on this 7/4 thing he not only goes to town, it's the whole country he goes to - can't wait as after the degree he will be whisking my daughter off the states and it might be my last 4th celebration for a while. as they say - bring it on..... At about 1900BST we will be raising glasses - somewhere in the back of my mind will be you lot - we may not get together this July, but for that moment I'll be with you in spirit (or beer and spirits or whateva0.

Edited by SchalkeUK, 04 July 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#8128 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

Happy Independence Day, everyone  :D

#8129 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

First Team

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,992 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Happy 4th of July to our American friends! 

I'm a bit drunk tonight, but that's okay. I got a stressful month ahead of me. Two Birthday parties, a festival and a visit to the local funfair with friends. That's more socializing than I'm willing to accept. But I can DO IT! 

#8130 MrW

MrW

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 12-February 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Happy independence day!

USA #1!

Edited by MrW, Yesterday, 12:49 PM.

#8131 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Haha I'm sure you'll look back and say you enjoyed it, Tsubs. 

Thanks for the well wishes, Prussians. Reflected yesterday on what things would be like had Ben Franklin gotten his way and made German the official language of the United States.

Serious question, do you think the Bundesliga might have absorbed much of the Prem's prestige and resources had the United States been German speakers? Would English have become the "global language" over the 20th century, thus lending such a strength to the growth of the EPL?

#8132 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Thanks guys! I got a bit carried away with the alcohol, so I'm trying to take care of my hangover.

#8133 MrW

MrW

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 12-February 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

NSFW

You guys really know how to celebrate! :thumbup:

#8134 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Daaaaamn America is dope

#8135 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Haha I'm sure you'll look back and say you enjoyed it, Tsubs. 

Thanks for the well wishes, Prussians. Reflected yesterday on what things would be like had Ben Franklin gotten his way and made German the official language of the United States.

Serious question, do you think the Bundesliga might have absorbed much of the Prem's prestige and resources had the United States been German speakers? Would English have become the "global language" over the 20th century, thus lending such a strength to the growth of the EPL?

Hmm, I think English becoming the global language is mostly a combination of the legacy of the British Empire and the economic, technological and cultural dominance of the US in post-war 20th century. So yes, I do think that the world would be completely different if the United States used another language, and Bundesliga would certainly have had more global exposure, but due to the differences in the business model of both leagues, I don't think it would have the same prestige and resources either way.

#8136 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Hmm, I think English becoming the global language is mostly a combination of the legacy of the British Empire and the economic, technological and cultural dominance of the US in post-war 20th century. So yes, I do think that the world would be completely different if the United States used another language, and Bundesliga would certainly have had more global exposure, but due to the differences in the business model of both leagues, I don't think it would have the same prestige and resources either way.

Interesting stuff. Yes, you are right that the establishment of English as the "global language" is due to those two factors.

But as for another spanner thrown into the question, can we even be sure the US would have aligned with Britain during the World Wars had German been our language? Incredible to consider how much history might have changed on that one decision. 

#8137 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 03:33 PM

Interesting stuff. Yes, you are right that the establishment of English as the "global language" is due to those two factors.

But as for another spanner thrown into the question, can we even be sure the US would have aligned with Britain during the World Wars had German been our language? Incredible to consider how much history might have changed on that one decision. 

Gotta love alternative history! I guess it would largely depend on how strong the pre-war alliance was between the two countries in such scenario. Only economic trading alliance, or a military one? Would the US simply stay neutral, or get actively involved in early stages of WWI? If there would be actual joining in the fighting, you have to consider having Canada there, who would still align with Britain and France in this scenario I suppose, so you would have had actual war at your own doorstep. Can only speculate what the outcome would be; probably stalemates everywhere, negotiated peace, no Versailles treaty, no WWII, etc... Really interesting stuff to ponder about! 

#8138 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Alternate history is fun stuff to think about! I myself think had the U.S. had no involvement in WWII, specifically the War in the Pacific theatre, the Japanese Empire would have taken Australia with ease after taking all the islands.

#8139 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Gotta love alternative history! I guess it would largely depend on how strong the pre-war alliance was between the two countries in such scenario. Only economic trading alliance, or a military one? Would the US simply stay neutral, or get actively involved in early stages of WWI? If there would be actual joining in the fighting, you have to consider having Canada there, who would still align with Britain and France in this scenario I suppose, so you would have had actual war at your own doorstep. Can only speculate what the outcome would be; probably stalemates everywhere, negotiated peace, no Versailles treaty, no WWII, etc... Really interesting stuff to ponder about! 

I guess the ultimate question is to what extent does language affect trade. While it's true that the American economy had been propped up by pre-existing ties to the British Empire's assets (such as Britain's textiles industry heavily relying on American cotton), you have to wonder how much of that was allowed to continue due to the simple fact that people from both nations could communicate freely and easily. Would that have gradually changed had we chosen German? Was it indeed for this very reason that we ultimately chose to stick with the language of our overthrown rulers? 

The dynamic with Canada is an interesting point. There have long been rumors, conspiracies, and even strong suggestions that the US had developed plans to invade Canada over the decades, so I wonder if that lack of a tie to mutual allies would have pushed that motivation over the edge. 

As for my guess, I think had America chosen German and developed those trade ties over time with an increasingly unified Germany (and even bolstered it with trade, possibly even military alliances), that they'd have chosen to side with them in WWI. In that event, it's possible the Central Powers would have won, in which case WWII likely wouldn't have even happened in the first place. But would the US have even developed as much strength by the 20th century without their trade alliance and dependence to the British Empire's wealth in the 19th century? Haha would the US then even be a relevant entity in which league would be the most prominent now? 

Alternate history is fun stuff to think about! I myself think had the U.S. had no involvement in WWII, specifically the War in the Pacific theatre, the Japanese Empire would have taken Australia with ease after taking all the islands.

Oh no doubt. Is very interesting to wonder in that scenario what would've happened had Pearl Harbor not been raided. Had Admiral Yamamato had his way, or the ability to refuse the order of his Emperor, it's very possible we would never have gotten involved, or have gotten involved far too late (after the Pacific was entirely controlled by Japan and possibly even the UK had been battered down to nothing or even invaded). 

Edited by Chadwell, Yesterday, 04:57 PM.

#8140 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

I guess the ultimate question is to what extent does language affect trade. While it's true that the American economy had been propped up by pre-existing ties to the British Empire's assets (such as Britain's textiles industry heavily relying on American cotton), you have to wonder how much of that was allowed to continue due to the simple fact that people from both nations could communicate freely and easily. Would that have gradually changed had we chosen German? Was it indeed for this very reason that we ultimately chose to stick with the language of our overthrown rulers? 

The dynamic with Canada is an interesting point. There have long been rumors, conspiracies, and even strong suggestions that the US had developed plans to invade Canada over the decades, so I wonder if that lack of a tie to mutual allies would have pushed that motivation over the edge. 

As for my guess, I think had America chosen German and developed those trade ties over time with an increasingly unified Germany (and even bolstered it with trade, possibly even military alliances), that they'd have chosen to side with them in WWI. In that event, it's possible the Central Powers would have won, in which case WWII likely wouldn't have even happened in the first place. But would the US have even developed as much strength by the 20th century without their trade alliance and dependence to the British Empire's wealth in the 19th century? Haha would the US then even be a relevant entity in which league would be the most prominent now? 

To a veeeeery large extent for sure. Common language promotes bilateral trade, I remember reading some study a while ago which found that sharing a common language leads to up to 70% (can't remember the exact number) more trade between two countries as compared to other countries. Lingua francas were being developed throughout the history mainly because of commercial reasons as well; I would say language and trade have almost symbiotic relationship, in general, it helps build trust and understand the mentality of the people. When you think about it, Phoenicians allegedly invented the alphabet to facilitate trade, and that was what, some 3000 years ago? 

And yes, it makes a lot of sense to keep the colonial language even after gaining independence, if only to ensure that it will help to keep the beneficial economic ties as well. 

#8141 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 08:02 PM

To a veeeeery large extent for sure. Common language promotes bilateral trade, I remember reading some study a while ago which found that sharing a common language leads to up to 70% (can't remember the exact number) more trade between two countries as compared to other countries. Lingua francas were being developed throughout the history mainly because of commercial reasons as well; I would say language and trade have almost symbiotic relationship, in general, it helps build trust and understand the mentality of the people. When you think about it, Phoenicians allegedly invented the alphabet to facilitate trade, and that was what, some 3000 years ago? 

And yes, it makes a lot of sense to keep the colonial language even after gaining independence, if only to ensure that it will help to keep the beneficial economic ties as well. 

Great post!

Wow, that 70% relationship is staggering. I wonder how much that has been affected/altered now in the global economy with so many translators? Of course, ultimately the change can't be that much, as there's still a significant amount of trade done by companies who would prefer to forego paying for translators, and so of course would prefer for trade to be done more easily. In the 17th-19th centuries though, there's no doubt that language was incredibly relevant to chosen trade planning. Would be so interesting to see how different things would be. I do not think the US would have reached its strength without the help of their old rulers and their trade lines and their large navy for protection, which is ironic given the conflicts between the two for forty years after the first shots were fired in Concord and Lexington. 

#8142 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

I guess the ultimate question is to what extent does language affect trade. While it's true that the American economy had been propped up by pre-existing ties to the British Empire's assets (such as Britain's textiles industry heavily relying on American cotton), you have to wonder how much of that was allowed to continue due to the simple fact that people from both nations could communicate freely and easily. Would that have gradually changed had we chosen German? Was it indeed for this very reason that we ultimately chose to stick with the language of our overthrown rulers?    The dynamic with Canada is an interesting point. There have long been rumors, conspiracies, and even strong suggestions that the US had developed plans to invade Canada over the decades, so I wonder if that lack of a tie to mutual allies would have pushed that motivation over the edge.    As for my guess, I think had America chosen German and developed those trade ties over time with an increasingly unified Germany (and even bolstered it with trade, possibly even military alliances), that they'd have chosen to side with them in WWI. In that event, it's possible the Central Powers would have won, in which case WWII likely wouldn't have even happened in the first place. But would the US have even developed as much strength by the 20th century without their trade alliance and dependence to the British Empire's wealth in the 19th century? Haha would the US then even be a relevant entity in which league would be the most prominent now?      Oh no doubt. Is very interesting to wonder in that scenario what would've happened had Pearl Harbor not been raided. Had Admiral Yamamato had his way, or the ability to refuse the order of his Emperor, it's very possible we would never have gotten involved, or have gotten involved far too late (after the Pacific was entirely controlled by Japan and possibly even the UK had been battered down to nothing or even invaded).

I gotta give credit though; the Wolfenstein games gave me the love for alternate history.

#8143 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

First Team

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,992 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 08:56 PM

nudge and Chadwell need to get their own debating topic :P

#8144 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 03:49 AM

Haha well, point is, I still need to try pickled herring. 

#8145 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 03:54 AM

I would kill for some now. With onions and roasted baby potatoes. 

#8146 SchalkeUK

SchalkeUK

Schalke UK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Joined 11-September 07
  • Favourites:Still Ivan Rakitic, Mesut and Manu and Andy Beck!
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 10:24 AM

I'm sure that somewhere in the annals of the writings or sayings of Freud or Confucious there will be a reference to the longing for a combination of Onions and Roast Potatoes.  That together with the relationship such longings trigger could be the reason for you two seriously starting another thread while the rest of us carry on with mundane stuff like beer and football - now there's two things that really go together.

Quote:  Man who likes onions and potatoes has great longings for snuggles from woman with same taste.  How's that for a start :wub:

Edited by SchalkeUK, Today, 10:25 AM.

#8147 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 10:54 AM

Let's go Chadwell, we're obviously unwanted here, haha. I'll grab that pickled herring on my way.

#8148 Relling

Relling

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Joined 01-May 11
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 12:59 PM

I think it is pretty obvious what would have happened if USA spoke German. Germany would never have had the economic crises that made the bed for Hitler. WW2 would never have happened. German would have been the world's lingua franca, and all the hip kids in 2015  would have worn Lederhosen in stead of jeans (or whatever the kids are wearing these days). :P

#8149 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 01:13 PM

He said German, not Bayrisch :ninja: 

#8150 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 01:38 PM

Here take my pickled herring, Nudge, I got the oversized jar because the smaller ones were sold out. :)

Edited by Notlionelmessi, Today, 01:39 PM.

#8151 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,840 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 01:48 PM

Ha, thanks - now I only need some onions and roasted potatoes. Beggars can't be choosers, I'll have some whisky instead.

#8152 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 07:50 PM

A lot of people have been remarking about how badly I got star spangled hammered over the weekend.. Happens to the best of us.

#8153 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

First Team

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,992 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 08:08 PM

A lot of people have been remarking about how badly I got star spangled hammered over the weekend.. Happens to the best of us.

IWEWu6m.gif

Gotta drink for 'Murica. I did too. Any reason is much appreciated. 

Edited by Tsubasa, Today, 08:09 PM.

#8154 MrW

MrW

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 12-February 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 08:37 PM

DJifWuY.png?1

#8155 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

First Team

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,992 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 08:38 PM

Saddest thing I saw was all these Pearl Harbor posts on twitter. 

#8156 Panflute

Panflute

salty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,052 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06
  • Favourites:Raúl, Casillas, Höwedes, Huntelaar, Dost
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 08:54 PM

Or people who make some passive-aggressive comment to forward their feminist agenda. "Wow, women's football soccer is much better than men's soccer!"

No it isn't, stop deluding yourselves you desperate bints.

#8157 Tsubasa

Tsubasa

First Team

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,992 posts
  • Joined 07-July 07
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 08:56 PM

Wow, sexist! Banned!

#8158 Panflute

Panflute

salty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,052 posts
  • Joined 11-September 06
  • Favourites:Raúl, Casillas, Höwedes, Huntelaar, Dost
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 08:58 PM

If you're going to ban me, at least do it for calling it soccer.

#8159 MrW

MrW

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Joined 12-February 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 09:02 PM

Wow, sexist! Banned!

Sexism is a social construct, you fool. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users