Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Best pickled herring I ever had was actually matjes herring in Holland, hehe. Used to it directly from the barrels on the fish market square, deliciousssssss, and a great hangover cure, along with traditional mustard soup :wub: I've never had ceviche!

Oh man that sounds so good. The pictures look incredible, looks a very hearty fish. Embarrassing I've never gotten around to it in truth, as I'm a huge fan of fish. I'd be a pescetarian if I could afford it lol, and if I didn't like steak and bacon so damn much.

Ceviche is wonderful. If you liked what you described of that raw shrimp salad, I think you'd undoubtedly then like ceviche. Sound nearly the same thing, although likely less spices in the ceviche (shame though, as I'm a huge garlic fan) but more cilantro (which I love).

I can eat pickled herring all day. Anything that's been pickled is good to me though :)

Haha same, I love pickled anything. Big fan of pickled okra in particular, especially from Wickles (expensive though). My weird pickled affinity is beets though, I fuckin love me some pickled beets. 

#7842 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:16 PM

figs pickled are good, and go well as a side to a nice juicy steak. Never tried wickles how expensive are we talking?

#7843 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,702 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Oh man that sounds so good. The pictures look incredible, looks a very hearty fish. Embarrassing I've never gotten around to it in truth, as I'm a huge fan of fish. I'd be a pescetarian if I could afford it lol, and if I didn't like steak and bacon so damn much.

Ceviche is wonderful. If you liked what you described of that raw shrimp salad, I think you'd undoubtedly then like ceviche. Sound nearly the same thing, although likely less spices in the ceviche (shame though, as I'm a huge garlic fan) but more cilantro (which I love).

Haha same, I love pickled anything. Big fan of pickled okra in particular, especially from Wickles (expensive though). My weird pickled affinity is beets though, I fuckin love me some pickled beets. 

I love fish too, and seafood in general; one of the reasons why I love living here, hehe. Too bad they don't really do marinated fish here, or at least I haven't come across it yet. Go ahead and give that herring a try whenever you get a chance, it's absolutely worth it. With chopped onion and freshly roasted baby potatoes with dill or rosemary. Oh man, all this talk makes me hungry. By the way, cilantro is the same as coriander, right? They use it excessively here as well. Pickled beet is delicious, nothing weird about it! :P 

#7844 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Just a pretty crazy idea here, but what if we did a TFF meetup 'Schland regulars only :P

#7845 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

I love fish too, and seafood in general; one of the reasons why I love living here, hehe. Too bad they don't really do marinated fish here, or at least I haven't come across it yet. Go ahead and give that herring a try whenever you get a chance, it's absolutely worth it. With chopped onion and freshly roasted baby potatoes with dill or rosemary. Oh man, all this talk makes me hungry. By the way, cilantro is the same as coriander, right? They use it excessively here as well. Pickled beet is delicious, nothing weird about it! :P

Haha well Americans think I'm weird for it. Any time I've been asked "weird food you like," that's my automatic response and it's almost always met with  :shakehead:

Picky bunch though, many Americans. Their loss.

Yes! Same herb! It's my favorite anywhere, rivaled only by basil and rosemary (which made your pickled herring suggestion all the more sumptuously appealing). Love it so much. I dump so much of it into salads that the leafy greens are the herb rather than the base. 

Yeah I bet living in Cambodia with all the seafood cuisine is fantastic. I hellaciously envy you, as not only would I give anything to live in a tropical climate, but I love Southeastern Asian cuisine. They say it was seafood which steered human evolution in the direction of sentience and intelligence, and it's abundantly clear why  :D

Just a pretty crazy idea here, but what if we did a TFF meetup 'Schland regulars only :P

Lol I don't know, I have this image of Tsubs somewhere rolling his eyes at all our non-'Schland talk. 

#7846 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quick let's find where Tsubs is camping and crash it :D

#7847 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,702 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

With a lot of pickled stuff :lol:

Haha well Americans think I'm weird for it. Any time I've been asked "weird food you like," that's my automatic response and it's almost always met with  :shakehead:

Picky bunch though, many Americans. Their loss.

Yes! Same herb! It's my favorite anywhere, rivaled only by basil and rosemary (which made your pickled herring suggestion all the more sumptuously appealing). Love it so much. I dump so much of it into salads that the leafy greens are the herb rather than the base. 

Yeah I bet living in Cambodia with all the seafood cuisine is fantastic. I hellaciously envy you, as not only would I give anything to live in a tropical climate, but I love Southeastern Asian cuisine. They say it was seafood which steered human evolution in the direction of sentience and intelligence, and it's abundantly clear why  :D

To be honest, Cambodian cuisine itself isn't that great altogether, but yes, good quality fresh seafood is very affordable here, so that's a big advantage either way! One of the few local dishes I like is Amok Trei, which is basically steamed fish (usually catfish or snakehead) curry served in banana leaves or in a coconut. Another great specialty is Kep crab served with Kampot pepper, absolutely amazing. Seafood BBQ is very popular here as well, and fermented fish sauce (prahok) is essential part of most dishes :D I'm a big fan of Thai cuisine, having easy access to it is one of the reasons why I always wanted to move to SE Asia :lol:

#7848 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

With a lot of pickled stuff :lol:       To be honest, Cambodian cuisine itself isn't that great altogether, but yes, good quality fresh seafood is very affordable here, so that's a big advantage either way! One of the few local dishes I like is Amok Trei, which is basically steamed fish (usually catfish or snakehead) curry served in banana leaves or in a coconut. Another great specialty is Kep crab served with Kampot pepper, absolutely amazing. Seafood BBQ is very popular here as well, and fermented fish sauce (prahok) is essential part of most dishes :D I'm a big fan of Thai cuisine, having easy access to it is one of the reasons why I always wanted to move to SE Asia :lol:

don't you miss Lithuania a little?

#7849 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,702 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

don't you miss Lithuania a little?

Nah, not at all. I've lived in four different countries in the last 15 years or so, homesickness was never my kind of thing. I do miss certain things from certain places (such as food), but that's about it :)

#7850 liverbird v04

liverbird v04

TFF Diva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,516 posts
  • Joined 26-November 07
  • Favourites:Sturridge, Fährmann, Goretzka, Henderson
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 04:59 PM

We've actually had this two years in a row, junior :D

#7851 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

With a lot of pickled stuff :lol:

To be honest, Cambodian cuisine itself isn't that great altogether, but yes, good quality fresh seafood is very affordable here, so that's a big advantage either way! One of the few local dishes I like is Amok Trei, which is basically steamed fish (usually catfish or snakehead) curry served in banana leaves or in a coconut. Another great specialty is Kep crab served with Kampot pepper, absolutely amazing. Seafood BBQ is very popular here as well, and fermented fish sauce (prahok) is essential part of most dishes :D I'm a big fan of Thai cuisine, having easy access to it is one of the reasons why I always wanted to move to SE Asia :lol:

I'm with ya, Thai is an absolute favorite of mine. Don't think I could live anywhere where good Thai isn't accessible, and if I'm completely honest, I would totally marry a Thai girl for her cooking. 

That meeting Asian girls wasn't one of my factors in deciding to go into medicine would be a complete lie  :whistling: Sure enough, current gf is Chinese lol. GREAT cook. 

Edited by Chadwell, Yesterday, 05:03 PM.

#7852 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Current gf is of Swedish decent, but that's about it, and her family loves ludafisk. :)

#7853 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,702 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

I'm with ya, Thai is an absolute favorite of mine. Don't think I could live anywhere where good Thai isn't accessible, and if I'm completely honest, I would totally marry a Thai girl for her cooking. 

That meeting Asian girls wasn't one of my factors in deciding to go into medicine would be a complete lie  :whistling: Sure enough, current gf is Chinese lol. GREAT cook. 

Understood, no need to repeat it that many times :lol:

I'm not really into marriage, but might be willing to consider it in case a proper Thai cook knocks on my door, would be a good way of getting a long term visa as well, haha.

#7854 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Current gf is of Swedish decent, but that's about it, and her family loves ludafisk. :)

My high school sweetheart was of Norwegian and German descent. I miss her sometimes. Beautiful girl, absolutely adored her. 

Understood, no need to repeat it that many times :lol:

I'm not really into marriage, but might be willing to consider it in case a proper Thai cook knocks on my door, would be a good way of getting a long term visa as well, haha.

Lol I dropped connection and tried to force it though, and it looks like it complied. Sorry for swamping you. I REALLY felt the need to reiterate to you just how much I like Thai food.

Same actually on marriage, I'm just not a monogamous person. I've never cheated on a girl ever in my life, but I don't think I could tie myself down to one person for the rest of my life. I have literally no interest in following the family life and staying in one place, going to work 8-5, coming home to get the kids to do homework, play a bit on weekends, repeat. It sounds selfish, but in truth I think the opposite as I feel as if I'd be very unsatisfied with my contribution to the world if that was the sum of my existence. Maybe it's just that I'm not a father and haven't experienced all that, but I just have no interest in a life such as that. I'm totally gonna die alone lol, but at least I'll eat better. 

#7855 nudge

nudge

Forza Michael!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,702 posts
  • Joined 29-September 09
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Lol I dropped connection and tried to force it though, and it looks like it complied. Sorry for swamping you. I REALLY felt the need to reiterate to you just how much I like Thai food.

Same actually on marriage, I'm just not a monogamous person. I've never cheated on a girl ever in my life, but I don't think I could tie myself down to one person for the rest of my life. I have literally no interest in following the family life and staying in one place, going to work 8-5, coming home to get the kids to do homework, play a bit on weekends, repeat. It sounds selfish, but in truth I think the opposite as I feel as if I'd be very unsatisfied with my contribution to the world if that was the sum of my existence. Maybe it's just that I'm not a father and haven't experienced all that, but I just have no interest in a life such as that. I'm totally gonna die alone lol, but at least I'll eat better. 

:lol: Yeah, I feel pretty much the same, maybe for a bit different reasons. Just can't stand the drama that inevitably comes with marriage/family, and as you said, I've got absolutely no interest in following the "traditional" way of life, it just isn't for me. 

#7856 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Alright, I've been craving pickled goods all day as a result of this conversation earlier and it's damn nice out, so I'ma go retrieve me some. NotGOAT, where did you get ahold of pickled herring in the US? Can you find it at regular grocery chains? 

#7857 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Alright, I've been craving pickled goods all day as a result of this conversation earlier and it's damn nice out, so I'ma go retrieve me some. NotGOAT, where did you get ahold of pickled herring in the US? Can you find it at regular grocery chains?

I found a jar at Walmart actually, but that was a year and half ago so it could be off the shelves by now. Only one way to find out!

#7858 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Word, thanks bud. 

#7859 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Word, thanks bud.

Any luck? :D

#7860 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 12:48 AM

Any luck? :D

Weeellll I decided to be lazy and just sit on the porch to enjoy the weather and just throw a frozen pizza in the oven... which I slid off the sheet and flipped onto the oven racks as I was trying to remove it (I'll bake a pizza for most of it with a sheet, then take it off for the last few minutes, and then retrieve it with the sheet again). Day was going so well until that point. Waste of a pizza and hellacious mess. Came very close to spontaneously combusting I was so pissed. 

#7861 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 02:11 AM

Weeellll I decided to be lazy and just sit on the porch to enjoy the weather and just throw a frozen pizza in the oven... which I slid off the sheet and flipped onto the oven racks as I was trying to remove it (I'll bake a pizza for most of it with a sheet, then take it off for the last few minutes, and then retrieve it with the sheet again). Day was going so well until that point. Waste of a pizza and hellacious mess. Came very close to spontaneously combusting I was so pissed.

shit phone thought I downvoted you (I didn't, promise,) but I've had that happen to me a time or two, and I may or may not have had beer in me at the time!

#7862 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 02:42 AM

shit phone thought I downvoted you (I didn't, promise,) but I've had that happen to me a time or two, and I may or may not have had beer in me at the time!

Haha it's okay man, I'd downvote someone too if they wasted a perfectly good pizza. Most delicious smelling mess I've ever had to clean up. 

#7863 Notlionelmessi

Notlionelmessi

Youth Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Joined 30-September 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 03:34 AM

Haha it's okay man, I'd downvote someone too if they wasted a perfectly good pizza. Most delicious smelling mess I've ever had to clean up.

if you grabbed a fork and ate off the floor I wouldn't blame you :ninja: five second rule remember?

#7864 Chadwell

Chadwell

Trainee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Joined 16-July 14
  • Country Flag

Posted Today, 03:53 AM

if you grabbed a fork and ate off the floor I wouldn't blame you :ninja: five second rule remember?

Oh I'm all about me some ten second rule, but not when all the toppings were raked off onto the rack in a 425 degree oven haha. Wasn't that hungry. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users