#32962 Bluebird Hewitt

Bluebird Hewitt

TFF's Resident Sheepshagger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,835 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

I'm more towards Cark in terms of clothing. If I need something, I'll buy it but not at a ridiculous price (basically being able to justify the cost). However, I may now and then buy clothing if there are good price reductions as Leyton mentioned earlier.

Of course I don't over shop, I don't buy clothes that I don't need nor do I usually buy clothes are their 'face value'. For the Yanks around here, I do a lot of shopping at Nordstrom Rack and with the right patience and a little luck you can find a $100 shirt marked down to $25.

Nordstrom was ridiculous when I was in the States a few years ago. Think I got a Diesel t-shirt, Hugo Boss shirt and polo top, Michael Kors shirt and one or two others for about $120 (the MK shirt went down from $192 to $19). The receipt mentioned that I apparently saved over $350. :lol: The UK's closest equivalent I've seen is TK Maxx, though the savings aren't as good.

#32963 Bluebird Hewitt

Bluebird Hewitt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,835 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

EDIT: Double post.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt, 24 August 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#32964 SirBalon

SirBalon

Terra Miña

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,949 posts
  • Joined 18-December 13
  • Favourites:Maradona, Cruyff, Henry, Messi, Bergkamp, Iniesta

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

I'm more towards Cark in terms of clothing. If I need something, I'll buy it but not at a ridiculous price (basically being able to justify the cost). However, I may now and then buy clothing if there are good price reductions as Leyton mentioned earlier. Nordstrom was ridiculous when I was in the States a few years ago. Think I got a Diesel t-shirt, Hugo Boss shirt and polo top, Michael Kors shirt and one or two others for about $120 (the MK shirt went down from $192 to $19). The receipt mentioned that I apparently saved over $350. :lol: The UK's closest equivalent I've seen is TK Maxx, though the savings aren't as good.

TK Maxx is a US enterprise mate. They also know how to rip people off with certain items that are branded and the brand made a design error and never making their itinerary. In my opinion if you are compelled to go to TK Maxx rather than attend the actual brand's sale then you're better off buying from other brands like the ones I mentioned in previous comments. Obviously each to their own and what they feel comfortable with as I said to Stan. It's a very personal issue clothing.

#32965 Bluebird Hewitt

Bluebird Hewitt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,835 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

TK Maxx is a US enterprise mate. They also know how to rip people off with certain items that are branded and the brand made a design error and never making their itinerary. In my opinion if you are compelled to go to TK Maxx rather than attend the actual brand's sale then you're better off buying from other brands like the ones I mentioned in previous comments. Obviously each to their own and what they feel comfortable with as I said to Stan. It's a very personal issue clothing.

Fair enough. Didn't know that.

#32966 Mazzari

Mazzari

Currently Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Joined 05-March 16
  • Favourites:Heurelho Gomes, Troy Deeney, Ikechi Anya

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

I once went in a Saks 5th that was closing in America - they had swimming trunks that cost £60 WITH CLEARANCE REDUCTIONS. There are some things I understand spending more on - formal attire, shoes, jackets, the like - but that much for a pair of trunks seems ridiculous when they're such a specific item that can be so much cheaper elsewhere.

#32967 Shinkansen

Shinkansen

Why is there a kangaroo below this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04
  • Favourites:Tim Cahill

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

Fine I'll post about clothes. I rarely spend much on clothes except for football boots (does that count?). However over the last few years I would say I've started to care more about my appearance and will look to spend a little more than the old me used to. I think you can still look and feel decent without spending £50 or more for a shirt or jacket.

#32968 Spike

Spike

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • Joined 10-June 13

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

Fine I'll post about clothes. I rarely spend much on clothes except for football boots (does that count?). However over the last few years I would say I've started to care more about my appearance and will look to spend a little more than the old me used to. I think you can still look and feel decent without spending £50 or more for a shirt or jacket.

An Australian living in Japan using GPB as his money of choice. Fucking weird cunt.

#32969 Bring Me My Bow

Bring Me My Bow

Reserves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Joined 26-December 13

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:04 PM

How do you know you're getting the same quality and durability with a £60 (not that you mentioned a particular lower price) jacket as with a £200?

Just to add, that it's not only about the quality in the stitching (straight line stitching), the thread, the sourcing of the materials.  It's also about the cut and how well it's made and you put one puts on a £60 jacket while another next to him has a £200 jacket in the same colour and the same style and I'll bet whatever you like you can tell the difference by miles.

It's not about the brand...  Most quality brands won't even have their brandname flashed anywhere on the garment.  I hate doing publicity for people where it's clothing concerned.  

For example...

Suits:  If you don't have the money to go Giorgio Armani or Tom Ford, then Paul Smith are great suits at less than half the price.  

Jeans: If you can't afford Calvin Klein, Diesel, Replay, GAS...  Then Levi's is cheaper than those and Lee cheaper still.  But even lower and great quality is Abercrombie & Fitch or GAP.

General Casual:  For me you can't beat Abercrombie & Fitch at a reasonable price for very good quality.  You can obviously go the Ralph Lauren route if you want to spend, but there you ARE being ripped off unless you are buying their top line stuff. Calvin Klein is superior to Ralph Lauren in every way for example...  But you have GAP which offer some incredible material quality (always have done although they went through a massive down period for three years and have revived the brand lately).  But at rock bottom prices for brilliant quality and the latest trends done very well indeed...  Go Japanese and go Uniqlo.

I could go on and on about this subject with insides and out on everything...  But it's not the point of this thread.

Levi's are the perfect example of how ridiculous all this can be. In this country they're considered a luxury brand and you're looking at about £100 a pair, but go to the US and they're just jeans - $50.

Personally, I'm a firm believer in paying for quality but when it comes to staples like t-shirts, etc., places like H&M and Next do me just fine.

#32970 Sanches Not Sanchez

Sanches Not Sanchez

il Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,461 posts
  • Joined 15-March 12
  • Favourites:Rui Costa, Pablito, Gaitán

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

I like boots and Idon't mind spending big money on them. Chelsea boots, Hank Moody style. I don't spend much on anything else but I like to look good, yet simple. I like smart looking watches too.

#32971 Bluewolf

Bluewolf

The Grandad of TFF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,766 posts
  • Joined 26-August 12

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

Making good progress with the roofing during my 12 days off as the weather has been decent considering... I was in B&Q's yesterday to pick up a few bits and some B&Q assistant came up and asked me if I wanted decking.. As I am still pretty quick in my old age I managed to get the first punch in but be warned some of you may not be so lucky if you don't think on your feet... 

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bluebird Hewitt